Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying for two weeks to get an answer on how to get warranty replacement on the extractor and ejector. I've sent three messages through the contact us link, and called. And when I called they said they don't do warranty stuff over the phone any more. I'd order the parts, but it's the principle of the thing, and I think it's ridiculous to spend more on shipping than the parts themselves. Anyone have an idea on how I can get this resolved?

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I've been trying for two weeks to get an answer on how to get warranty replacement on the extractor and ejector. I've sent three messages through the contact us link, and called. And when I called they said they don't do warranty stuff over the phone any more. I'd order the parts, but it's the principle of the thing, and I think it's ridiculous to spend more on shipping than the parts themselves. Anyone have an idea on how I can get this resolved?
There have been some recent changes in warranty service that I am not up to date on. Maybe one of the Mods or the Admin has a good answer. That being said, why do you need both the extractor and ejector under warranty?

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
A phone call to the right person is usually all it takes. Not sure what is going on with your calls...other people seem to have no problem getting thru to someone that helps them.

The only other way I know of, is to send your pistol in with a written request for warranty work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WPhil - My extractor blew out and the ejector spring (if I'm using the right term for the piece that holds the extractor in) was bent outward. I don't know what the deal was since I only use brass rounds. But I searched for the reason it happened and it usually happens when someone uses aluminum cases.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
I just looked up the latest version of the Kel Tec warranty...there's been a few additions to it. I know from speaking to some employees that by limiting the sending out of "freebie" parts has saved a ton of money. And I'm talking millions. We've known for a long time that some people went way too far in ordering freebies, and it looks like Kel Tec is trying to put a stop to it.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/media/dbarticle/14502682531479548411.pdf

LIMITATIONS OF WARRANTY

The warranty will be void if any of the following occur:

(1) the instructions in the Instruction Manual are not followed;
(2) the CMR-30™
or any of its parts are altered or modified from their original
state
;
(3) damage is caused by misuse, abuse or improper maintenance; or
(4) the CMR-30™
is disassembled beyond the instructions in the Instruction
Manual

There are no warranties which extend beyond the description on the face hereof.
The sole and exclusive remedy pursuant to this warranty is the repair or replacement
of the CMR-30™, at the sole discretion of Kel-Tec CNC Industries, Inc.

The implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose are
expressly disclaimed.

All disclaimers and limitations of liability shall still apply even if the limited remedy
of repair and replacement fails of its essential purpose.
In states where permitted, Kel-Tec CNC Industries, Inc. assumes no liability for
incidental or consequential damage or for incidental expenses.

Any action against Kel-Tec CNC Industries, Inc. based on an alleged breach of this
warranty must be brought within one (1) year of the claimed breach.
Kel-Tec CNC Industries, Inc.’s liability for breach of warranty shall be limited to
repair or replacement of the CMR-30™, at the sole discretion of
Kel-Tec CNC Industries, Inc.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Wrap up the broken bits in a cover letter and copy of your proof of original purchase and mail it off to them.

Got that from direct email (previously posted here somewhere), done it, and it works.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
WPhil - My extractor blew out and the ejector spring (if I'm using the right term for the piece that holds the extractor in) was bent outward. I don't know what the deal was since I only use brass rounds. But I searched for the reason it happened and it usually happens when someone uses aluminum cases.
Welcome to the KTOG forum. The extractor is a little hooked piece of steel mounted on the slide that engages the rim of the cartridge case and pulls the case out of the chamber. The extractor spring puts tension/pressure on the extractor. The ejector is mounted on top of the frame to the rear and under the slide. When the extractor pulls the case to the rear, the ejector kicks it away through the ejection port. If you look up the parts involved online or in your owner's manual, you will find them named and their location. I think you may need some help before you start ordering or demanding parts. Aluminum or steel cases can cause damage, but not what you describe. This is one of the reasons KelTec changed how they address their warranty claims.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Odds are I'm going to send it in for repair. I did finally hear back from customer service and was told I could not get parts sent unless I bought them. I've watched YouTube videos that make it seem like this is not an uncommon occurrence since there are how-to's on fixing the same issue I have, and it seems like a simple enough fix. I do believe, based on what you're describing, is my extractor spring is bent out, and my extractor is gone.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Odds are I'm going to send it in for repair. I did finally hear back from customer service and was told I could not get parts sent unless I bought them. I've watched YouTube videos that make it seem like this is not an uncommon occurrence since there are how-to's on fixing the same issue I have, and it seems like a simple enough fix. I do believe, based on what you're describing, is my extractor spring is bent out, and my extractor is gone.
Probably your best bet to send it in. You are correct that extractor problems are one of the most common complaints, however, that would still be less than 1/10 of 1% of the number with no problems of any kind at all. If you have a friendly FFL have him send it in for you. The shipping will be 1/4 of what it will cost you directly.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Did a cartridge case rupture, causing the 'extractor blow out?' Not sure how it could happen otherwise though, with the extractor spring (not the ejector, which is a totally different part) being bent outward. And were they +P loads by any chance? Or reloads?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Odds are I'm going to send it in for repair. I did finally hear back from customer service and was told I could not get parts sent unless I bought them.

I have a parkerized barrel and slide, and when the parkerizing wore enough to see the lands and grooves in the barrel, there were some weird machining artifacts.

Kel-Tec let me send them *just* the barrel--and the slide, to fit the new barrel--and sent me a new barrel back with my original slide.

If the rest of the pistol is ok, I'd just mail the slide & barrel (in case they change out your entire slide). A lot cheaper then shipping the firearm complete, even thru your friendly LGS FFL.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
First I've ever heard of an extractor spring "bent out", something weird happened. Kel Tec will get it right for you!
Other than a ruptured case, or a blown primer, I can think of nothing in the firing sequence that would bend an extractor spring outward as described.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Looking at the one picture you did post, does not look like any major spring bending, such as might be expected with a ruptured case. If this is a new pistol and not yet fired much, it is possible the spring is a defective one, not properly tempered. It normally bends outward a bit with the case being held by the extractor, and this looks like the spring just did not return to normal. That is, it has no actual "spring" to it. You might ask Kel Tec if you can just send in the slide/barrel combo without the grip/frame (they used to do this) to have new parts installed/tested. If so, you can send the slide/barrel through the post office for very little (don't call it gun parts) by putting them in a small priority flat rate box.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Based on the videos I've seen, the gun has to be assembled completely to replace this part, since a snap cap or empty case has to be in the barrel to hold the firing pin in place when the screw is removed. All in all, I've probably put less than 200 rounds through it, and it was my pocket pistol of choice for the last couple years, being carried in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. Now that customer service has answered and the ball is rolling, I'm confident it will be easily resolved.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Based on the videos I've seen, the gun has to be assembled completely to replace this part, since a snap cap or empty case has to be in the barrel to hold the firing pin in place when the screw is removed. All in all, I've probably put less than 200 rounds through it, and it was my pocket pistol of choice for the last couple years, being carried in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. Now that customer service has answered and the ball is rolling, I'm confident it will be easily resolved.

Not sure what videos you are referring to, but is not true that gun has to be assembled. In fact, you cannot remove the firing pin and replace it properly unless the slide is removed from the frame/grip. No case should be in the barrel, nor should the barrel even be in the slide when replacing the extractor. All you need is to disassemble pistol, as for cleaning, have the proper Torx driver to remove the extractor spring screw (this is a Torx Plus screw, not a standard Torx screw). You likely need to heat the screw prior to removal, since Kel Tec installs this screw with a thread locker as well. But all Kel Tec would need would be the slide, but they like to test, so the barrel also is needed, along with springs, etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.