Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my P3AT now for 5 months and other than a rough start to our relationship, I love it. It's with me almost all the time. The rough start being the extractor needing replaced. After that it is running flawlessly.
As a refresher it wouldn't extract that spent shell therefore it couldn't load.
Last time I had it out 5 mags not one hiccup and firing it one handed not one problem.
The only problem is its so small and light you might forget you have it in your pocket.
So why all the bashing. Gun snobs?
OK it's not pretty, not the most comfortable to shoot, but what it is is concealable, affordable, reliable.
As for .380, well I wouldn't stand in it's way!
Still liking mine!:):)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a P32 (looking to get a P3AT soon) and, if I put it into a pocket, you know that I have something in my pocket, but it's really tough to see what that "something" is. I fully expect that when a P3AT enters the stable, it will be exactly the same. There's only a .02" difference in their width.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a P32 (looking to get a P3AT soon) and, if I put it into a pocket, you know that I have something in my pocket, but it's really tough to see what that "something" is. I fully expect that when a P3AT enters the stable, it will be exactly the same. There's only a .02" difference in their width.

Plus a little weight...

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
So why all the bashing. Gun snobs?
Kel-Tec is bashed a lot. Gun Snobs are part of that to a certain extent. Unfortunately some Kel-Tec products have had issues, and sometimes the loudest negative voices are from those folks . I'll bet even more bash third hand, having never shot one much less owned one.

Taurus seems to be much the same. I even fell into the trap. Always read negative stuff, or perhaps I dwelled on the negative stuff I read. I was contemplating a .38 revolver and the Lead RSO at my range mentioned he had bought a M85 .38 revolver for his fiancé. Said they sell a lot of them. Hmmm. Then I rented one and I really liked it. So I bought one and so far so good.

Bottom line is you utilize what works best for you and your particular circumstances.

EX: my EDC is either my P-32 or Taurus M85. I also own Ruger firearms but not for EDC. Tried out a couple others but I like the P-32 and M85 best. So for me it's not a matter of price, rather what works best.

·
Registered
150 Posts
IME, the biggest loudest and most numerous Kel-Tec bashers have never fired the guns. Gun snobs and gun dealers (who make more $$$ off more expensive guns) are the second largest bash group. And in third place are "shooters" who have little business being around any kind of gun.

·
Registered
160 Posts
P3AT is a tad longer, wider and heavier. Listed as 3mm longer, 1mm wider and 1.7ozs heavier. The differences are minimal but noticeable. I have owned both and the P32 is much more fun to shoot.
I don't run more than a full magazine through my P32 when I go to the range--just enough to maintain some sort of proficiency with it. It's a handgun for 'social work.' I can't imagine that I'd want to put more trigger time into a P3AT.:eek: Just enough at 3, 5, and 7 yards to be able to hit something.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My gen1 P3AT goes with me everywhere that it's legal to carry. The current "tactical thing" is a short, light - and therefore - striker fired trigger, and the P3AT isn't that.

Add to that the fact that
1) it's not new,
2) it is one of the most minimalist but reliable guns you can carry, and
3) there are so many that it is a commodity (like milk & eggs, hammers & screwdrivers)
and it all equals a "non-sexy" tool.
It gets the same lack of respect that my $4 Walmart pocket knife gets, for the same reasons. A dependable, inexpensive, no frills tool.

But I am consistently surprised by the number of folks that I find carrying it. But nobody brags about it... except us KTOG folks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a GEN 1 as well. I bought it about 6 months ago, it was new and never shot. I carry it often. It just disappears in your pocket. Its a handful to shoot if your not holding it tight, but I have never had one issue with it in +200 rounds.

Keltec is the whipping boy for the G-ock crowd, but then again if you don't shoot one its not far to bash on them. An old gun smith once told me when I was a kid " remember son even the worst gun made can shoot better than the guy shooting it" I never forgot that. I have a lot of fun shooting all types of firearms. And I love trying out the underdogs. Ive been impressed with most of them, brands like Keltec, Taurus,Star,and Canik have all impressed me. Theres nothing like out shooting a guy with a $2,000 45acp with a sub $400 gun:D

·
Registered
180 Posts
... So why all the bashing. Gun snobs?
OK it's not pretty, not the most comfortable to shoot, but what it is is concealable, affordable, reliable. ...
<shrug> I suppose that some folks feel that they need to look down upon something/someone.

In December it will be 12 years since I purchased and have been carrying my P3AT.

I immediately added a bicycle inner tube grip cover and it has been a comfortable & reliable companion to me ever since. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Gents, it's a mean little thing to practice with but stays on the paper. Peace of mind and not a boat anchor. Can't ask for more at the price. It is ten years old.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.