Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a P50 and a Ruger 57, both in 5.7x28mm. Ammo is expensive. But other than the price difference I'm seeing no good reason to invest in 22 WMR and in particular a PMR 30. I figure that even if not optimum the Ruger is a more effective carry weapon than the PMR 30 and for home defense the P50 (if I ever get it to fire reliably) is likely more effective than anything in 22 WMR. Ammo price is the only advantage that the 22 WMR weapons have near as I can tell.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So, I have a P50 and a Ruger 57, both in 5.7x28mm. Ammo is expensive. But other than the price difference I'm seeing no good reason to invest in 22 WMR and in particular a PMR 30. I figure that even if not optimum the Ruger is a more effective carry weapon than the PMR 30 and for home defense the P50 (if I ever get it to fire reliably) is likely more effective than anything in 22 WMR. Ammo price is the only advantage that the 22 WMR weapons have near as I can tell.
Ammo price..... and availability.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The main reason would be if you want a handgun and carbine that use the same magazine, then the PMR and CMR are excellent choices. If not, if you can afford it, both the 22WMR and the 57 are going to be fun to shoot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The main reason would be if you want a handgun and carbine that use the same magazine, then the PMR and CMR are excellent choices. If not, if you can afford it, both the 22WMR and the 57 are going to be fun to shoot.
Not. So, the latter if anything. No interest in carbines.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Not. So, the latter if anything. No interest in carbines.
If I bought a P50, I would probably have to buy the carbine conversion kit from Kel-Tec so I could go back and forth. I converted my CP33 to carbine but can go back and forth if and when I want to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have 2 PMR-30's and just picked up a CP33 that I have yet to fire. I am aware of Kel-tec's apparent issues with rounds loading reliably from their magazines, depending on how you load them. (funny how Glock and no one else seems to have this problem as consistently as Kel-Tec does. Now I read that the P50 has loading issues too? Starting to wonder how Kel-tec gets ANY return business. Enlighten me. I love my Kel-tec's, but none of my plethora of other weapons has these issues, and why don't they address it????????

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have 2 PMR-30's and just picked up a CP33 that I have yet to fire. I am aware of Kel-tec's apparent issues with rounds loading reliably from their magazines, depending on how you load them. (funny how Glock and no one else seems to have this problem as consistently as Kel-Tec does. Now I read that the P50 has loading issues too? Starting to wonder how Kel-tec gets ANY return business. Enlighten me. I love my Kel-tec's, but none of my plethora of other weapons has these issues, and why don't they address it????????
I can only guess. I own two Keltecs, a CP33 and a P50. Other than the initial charge with the charging handle, the CP33 runs flawlessly. I think the P50 issues are ProMag magazine problems. I've ordered a couple of FN P90 mags so I will soon find out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot about my KSG, so I guess I own three Keltecs. I had to send the KSG back and now it's running well.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Weight and space - you can fit a lot more 22WMR into a space than you can 5.7x28. And the 22WMR will weigh less that an equivalent number of 5.7x28.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The mag loading issues - no-one else makes quad stack rimfire mags. I'm happy putting up with paying a little extra attention with loading the in the 30 rounds, it's no big deal, and it's pretty unique.

·
Registered
65 Posts
A couple of things about the 5.7: FN ammo is not consistent*, and handloading the 5.7 is a little trickier due to the necessary special lacquer on the cases. Remove the lacquer only if you enjoy manual actions.;-) Case life for full house loads is reported to be about 2-3 loadings. My PS90 gets loads that are on the low end of cycling the gun and so far minimum working of the brass with Lee dies. AFAIK, you can't make 5.7 brass from anything else. Factory ammo is fairly expensive (>$800/1000). The .22TCM is better in almost every way for stout pistol loads.
Magazine issues on the rimfires can be avoided by using the ASL Nest loader.
Also, 5.7 is not only more expen$ive, but rarely seen in stores.

*A gent on the FN forum pulled down a box of FN ammo and the powder charges varied from 3.0 to over 6.0 grains of powder. Any powders I've seen listed for this cartridge have a min/max span of no more than one grain (it's a small case that uses .25acp shell holders).

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
No one else has tried to double and quad stack rimfire to make such small large capacity magazines. This causes rimlock if the magazines aren't loaded right. Load the magazines properly and you will learn to love the innovation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
No one else has tried to double and quad stack rimfire to make such small large capacity magazines. This causes rimlock if the magazines aren't loaded right. Load the magazines properly and you will learn to love the innovation.
Thanks everyone for the input. I have loaded my mags per the manual and the advice here, so am hoping for good results at the range. Does proper mag loading iliminate loading issues, thus negating the need for breach face mod, or is that another remedy to the same problem? My friend who has one said to fire at least 200 rds before passing judgement and to only use mini-mag ammo. And wouldn't refacing the breach face (even just a bit at the 6 o'clock position) void Kel-tec's warranty? I will definitely be getting one the ASL loaders, as my old finger really protest loading small ammo in those numbers. Wish me luck! :)

P.S. Where can I find info on breaking the upper down further so I can remove the barrel? Or is this not recommended as the manual states?

·
Registered
1 Posts
To fellow PMR 30 owners: I got a PMR 30 last month, and have only had it out to the range once, so far. Wow, now I know why so many guys say "I love shooting this gun". Shot two different loads, in 3 mags, maybe 30 to 40 something rounds total. Zero hiccups. The first round fired hit just off dead center of the bullseye at 30'. I'm not a great pistol shot.
The sweet trigger, almost no recoil, and mag capacity makes mine a keeper. I'm considering making it my main conceal carry gun. *** If anybody has experience with a good Kydex Paddle holster for the PMR 30, please advise me. I see couple online but value KTOG personal experiences.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
To fellow PMR 30 owners: I got a PMR 30 last month, and have only had it out to the range once, so far. Wow, now I know why so many guys say "I love shooting this gun". Shot two different loads, in 3 mags, maybe 30 to 40 something rounds total. Zero hiccups. The first round fired hit just off dead center of the bullseye at 30'. I'm not a great pistol shot.
The sweet trigger, almost no recoil, and mag capacity makes mine a keeper. I'm considering making it my main conceal carry gun. *** If anybody has experience with a good Kydex Paddle holster for the PMR 30, please advise me. I see couple online but value KTOG personal experiences.
Welcome, and you should consider the maglula loader to increase your love of the firearm. Your thumbs will thank you.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input. I have loaded my mags per the manual and the advice here, so am hoping for good results at the range. Does proper mag loading iliminate loading issues, thus negating the need for breach face mod, or is that another remedy to the same problem? My friend who has one said to fire at least 200 rds before passing judgement and to only use mini-mag ammo. And wouldn't refacing the breach face (even just a bit at the 6 o'clock position) void Kel-tec's warranty? I will definitely be getting one the ASL loaders, as my old finger really protest loading small ammo in those numbers. Wish me luck! :)

P.S. Where can I find info on breaking the upper down further so I can remove the barrel? Or is this not recommended as the manual states?
Get the maglula loader. It's the same price and in my (and a lot of others on this site's) opinion.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A couple of things about the 5.7: FN ammo is not consistent*, and handloading the 5.7 is a little trickier due to the necessary special lacquer on the cases. Remove the lacquer only if you enjoy manual actions.;-) Case life for full house loads is reported to be about 2-3 loadings. My PS90 gets loads that are on the low end of cycling the gun and so far minimum working of the brass with Lee dies. AFAIK, you can't make 5.7 brass from anything else. Factory ammo is fairly expensive (>$800/1000). The .22TCM is better in almost every way for stout pistol loads.
Magazine issues on the rimfires can be avoided by using the ASL Nest loader.
Also, 5.7 is not only more expen$ive, but rarely seen in stores.

*A gent on the FN forum pulled down a box of FN ammo and the powder charges varied from 3.0 to over 6.0 grains of powder. Any powders I've seen listed for this cartridge have a min/max span of no more than one grain (it's a small case that uses .25acp shell holders).
What do you mean about consistency of the 5.7 ammo? Do you mean between Manufactures? Because so far all the 5.7 ammo I’ve used has been extremely consistent and reliable. I’ve had an Fn 5.7 for many years, even before they’ve become popular. I purchased it because it’s reliable, more than 10k rounds without a single issue. The only other gun that’s been as reliable for me so far is my Sig 226. I’ve haven’t fired my Glocks enough to make that claim yet but they been perfect so far ( maybe 5-7k rounds ). With the right ammo the 5.7 can defeat a lot of body armor that’s used today and it goes through bullet proof glass.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only downside of 5.7 besides ammo costs it that when I move to/from 27 grain from/to 40 grain ammo I have to adjust the weapon sights. 5.7 hit points really shift with bullet weight.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The only downside of 5.7 besides ammo costs it that when I move to/from 27 grain from/to 40 grain ammo I have to adjust the weapon sights. 5.7 hit points really shift with bullet weight.
That’s true when changing bullet weight with any gun especially at longer distance. The cost for 5.7 ammo is starting to drop. I’m seeing it at 40 per box now, if this continues I bet it’ll be at or near 25 a box next year. Days of 14 per box are gone forever. But the cost is in line with defensive ammo in fact it’s cheaper than 9mm Defensive ammo cost. It’s cheaper than good 22lr ammo. If your life depends on it cost if you can swing it should be irrelevant.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That’s true when changing bullet weight with any gun especially at longer distance. The cost for 5.7 ammo is starting to drop. I’m seeing it at 40 per box now, if this continues I bet it’ll be at or near 25 a box next year. Days of 14 per box are gone forever. But the cost is in line with defensive ammo in fact it’s cheaper than 9mm Defensive ammo cost. It’s cheaper than good 22lr ammo. If your life depends on it cost if you can swing it should be irrelevant.
It seems to me that the 5.7 is much more sensitive to ammo change than other calibers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts