Who makes it! Where can I buy it! - pocket holster

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jakobe, Dec 17, 2009.

1. jakobe

jakobe New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Hell

I just bought my wife a p3at the limited edition one with the Crimson trace laser and belt clip from the factory

went to do a fluff and buff and it was alrerady pretty smooth
    I have run a bout 250 rounds out of it so far
    (my range has 380 target ammo for 17.00 a box)

the wife loves it, I personally carry a pf9 or a Taurus 709 slim

These are my needs for a holster
    must have all of thes o ptions, the only two I can live without or do myself are the belt clip
    and the tag

- Fits Kel-Tec P 3at .380
    - black
    - preferably non leather (leather gets hard & require too much care)
    - preferably flexible like nylon or cordura
    - ambi
    - needs to hold gun WITH the crimson trace laser
    - needs extra mag slot
    - would love to have a removable belt clip so it could be pocketed or waistbanded
    - cannot be $50+ (like the Stellar holsters..total ripoff, (its 3$ worth of plastic)
    - no shiny logos or tags that can fray or itch

found this one...but waiting on phone call to let me know if it fits a CT
    [​IMG]
    http://www.concealmentconceptsholsters.com/pocket_holster.html

also found this one from uncle mikes
    but cant find a place to buy it.
    or determine if it will house the CT laser
    [​IMG]

oh and I already have an uncle mikes holster (inside the pocket holster size 2)
    for the kel tec and it fits decent with the CT but has no extra mag slot.

need for xmas!

2. JB

JB Guest

Re: Who makes it! Where can I buy it! - pocket hol

I'm not sure if Uncle Mikes makes one with a pocket for an extra mag or not (yes, I see the picture but let me explain.)

I know that at least one person (a KelTec member, I believe, although I can't remember who) has posted about modifying one of the regular UM pocket holsters to hold an extra mag by putting in a few stitches in a vertical line and then ripping out the stitches in the upper edge of that portion of the holster, thereby forming a pocket for a spare mag.  I'm not sure if the UM holster in that pic came that way or if it has been modified.

I used an UM pocket holster as a pattern when I made this leather pocket holster - and blatantly stole the idea for a place to hold a spare mag from the fellow who had modified the UM holster.

[​IMG]

3. jakobe

jakobe New Member

Dec 17, 2009

yes I thought the same thing that it had been modified in that fashion as it was listed in the forum as "slightly modified uncle mikes holster"
    but no great detail or instructional was given.

which is fine I can do that
    but I would rather just have it done and ready.

and I'll need to buy two of them
    and if they look nice or come in the right size I'll get one for the Taurus for myself as well.

thanks

4. JB

JB Guest

I believe that some companies do offer 'ready made' versions of the pocket holster with 'built in' mag pouch.  I'm just not sure that UM does.

A quick Google search turned up the DeSantis Stinger (a leather one), the Desantis Nemesis Cargo (non-leather) as well as one called the Pock-A-Roo from a place called 'TUFF Products'.  Never heard of Tuff Products but the holster looks interesting.  Looks like they also have one for revolvers that is designed to hold what seems to be some sort of 'speed strip' type thing - they are calling it a Quickstrip. These all seem to be in the $30 range.

Not sure if the Pock-A-Roo comes in a model for the P3AT or not and not sure if either it or the DeSantis come in a model made to accomodate an Armalaser.  I wouldn't be surprised if Desantis makes something along those lines.   You might check them out online or maybe give the companies a call, etc.

5. jakobe

jakobe New Member

Dec 17, 2009

yes I have seen all of these.. thanks

unfortunately none of these accommodate the CT laser

and thats one of the requirements.

Desantis Nemesis Cargo
    [​IMG]

Pock a Roo
    [​IMG]

6. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008

hey jakobe,

the concealment concepts holster for the armalaser will definitely fit the CT grips.  i like the holster but it's a little puffy - thicker than it needs to be.  other than that, it works and it's quite a bargain!

my favorite holster is the $12 Blackhawk size 1 pocket holster.  it's thin, stays in the pocket and it's very easy to get a firing grip and draw from.  the size 1 holster does fit the CT grips even though it's not made for it.  it takes a couple of days for it to stretch out.  it's my favorite.

i modded mine by taking a razor blade and cut the outside seam of the wing.  i stitched a piece of elastic along that edge to allow some flex space so that an extra mag could slip in there.  what's cool is that when you grip the pistol, the elastic allows the mag to get nudged out of the way.  admittedly, it's not pretty but i could've made a better looking mod had i taken my time.  it works really well for me and no one else is going to see it.  

i like having a spare mag even though i'm sure i'll never need it.  for some reason it just makes me feel a little more secure and it's easy to carry in this type of holster.  i keep the holster my right pocket and it's easy for me to reach in with my left hand and grab the extra mag.  good luck!

kb

[​IMG]

7. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007

Desantis makes a Nemesis specifically for a P3AT with the CT laser attached. It is what I use for my P3AT and my Wife uses for her P32. It does not accomodate a spare magazine. In my estimation such holsters are not a good idea. Carrying your reload in the same pocket as your firearm is illogical, IMO. If you are right-handed, for instance, and you therefore keep your firearm in your right-hand pocket, then you will draw the weapon from that pocket and that hand will hold/operate the weapon. If you have to reload you must perform one of a few very poor maneuvers in order to get your spare magazine and reload your weapon.

1- Reach around/across your body and fish for the magazine VERY awkwardly; once you obtain the magazine the dropping of the spent magazine and reloading of the new magazine is normal.

2- Switch the firearm from your right hand (favored hand) to your left hand (off hand), dig into your pocket and either a) try to eject the spare magazine using your less-practiced hand to depress the release button awkwardly then load the new magazine in or b)swap the weapon back to your favored hand and put the new magazine in your off hand and then load the new magazine; if you do the first maneuver then you will be left racking the slide with your right hand (again this is not normal unless this is how you practice) and then finally moving the weapon back to your favored hand to operate it accurately or leave the weapon in your off hand (to save time) and operate the weapon with your off and less-practiced hand.

3- Insert your right hand whilst continuing to hold the weapon and somehow with one or two of your fingers grab the spare magazine and retract your hand with both the weapon and the magazine; then you must move the magazine to your off hand, drop the spent magazine normally, load the new magazine normally and rack the slide normally.

All three of those are highly prone to bobbling and mishandling, especially in the heat of an adrenalin revved moment (or immediately thereafter).

Additionally, all f the holsters that incorporate a spare magazine make getting a quick and complete purchase on the handle of the firearm and can inhibit a rapid presentation of the firearm by adding something else in the pocket on which the firearm can snag. Almost everyone agrees that nothing else should be kept in the same pocket as your firearm, but usually they are talking about keys, wallets, pens, etc. However, logically, this should also include a spare reload.

Notice how Soldiers and law enforcement carry their equipment on their belts. I've never seen either carry their spare magazines (or flashlight for that matter) on the same side as their firearm. It is an illogical set up.

These are just my thoughts. TEHO ;)

8. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN

i use the uncle mikes holster. i cut the holster so it can hold a extra mag. the laser will not fit in this holster but the belt clip will.

9. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008

dreadnought, i agree that it would be great to have a spare mag attached to your belt on the offhand side in a tactical situation but it's not exactly the best option for deep concealment.  for some it may be awkward to reach across the body with the off hand but maybe not for others.  we're all built differently.  even if it does take an extra second to switch hands to access the spare mag while hiding behind cover, i think it's better to have a spare mag that not have it.  i know from my own experience that if i carry the pistol and spare mag in the same holster, i carry a spare magazine WAY more often than not.  different strokes, y'know  :D

kb

10. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007

I don't think I made myself clear enough. I advocate carrying a spare magazine. Just not in the same pocket as the weapon itself. I carry a spare magazine in my left-hand pocket in a leather pouch to keep it from rattling against my money clip that I carry in the same left-hand pocket. Why bother carrying a pocket gun if you're able to carry magazine pouches on your belt? I mentioned the belt carry only to illustrate the SIDE that LE and Soldiers carry their spare mags on. I could have mentioned that Soldiers often carry their sidearms and/or their spare magazines on their chest in vest pockets, but that would not have meant that I think someone carrying a P3AT to work in their office should wear a tac-vest and carry their spares up-front.

11. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007

Here's a photo of my P3AT and the spare mag and leather pouch:

[​IMG]

12. Okeechobay

Okeechobay New Member

Dec 26, 2007

I've been very happy with my Concealment Concepts Pocket Pal for my P-32, which I replaced my original Uncle Mike's #1 with. I don't have a laser, but as noted above, they do make a Pocket Pal which will accomodate an Armalaser. I carry my P-32 with a 10 round mag, with a spare +1 8 rd. mag in the integral pouch. Everything fits great, and all weighs a mere 16 ounces, which, after carrying my Astra Constable II .380 with 8 rds. in the gun and 7 in the spare mag (also in a Pocket Pal) for 32 ounces total, seems absolutely featherweight. I cut the top stitches on the Uncle Mike's side flap, added no additional stitching, and now keep my Raven .25 in it with a spare mag now in the flap, fitting snugly; however, while reliable after 300-400 rounds over 33 years, I'd never carry the Raven with a round chambered as the safety is minimal, so it would be #3 in my carry rotation if at all. Anyway, I've used the Pocket Pals for every day carry for 1 1\2 years now, and really like them, especially at $10 a crack.

13. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008

thanks for sharing, dreadnought - that's a nice leather pouch.  where did you get it?  i understand exactly what you're saying too.  i tried a similar pouch in my left pocket but i had trouble finding it b/c i also keep a decent sized knife and iphone in the same pocket.  it tended to shift around some.  for my situation, it was no faster than simply reaching into my right pocket and grabbing the extra magazine.  

maybe i'm lugging around too much stuff: phone, wallet, knife, p3at, spare mag.  i keep the keys clipped to a belt loop.  i refuse to carry anything else in the front right pocket with the holster.  that's why i really like a holster that holds both pistol and extra mag.  it's also handy when i have to disarm to simply remove the holster and mag in the same package and place it in the lock box (and then back into the pocket later).  

back to the OP, i also agree that the concealment concepts holster is the best way to start out.  it's such a steal at $10 and then you can look for something else later if needed.  

14. jakobe

jakobe New Member

Dec 17, 2009

great thanks for the input

appreciate the advice about the magazine placement but its not needed.

I need the gun and the mag in the same place for organizational reasons.

having a separate holster for the mag is unacceptable for this carry application.
    in another setting or during another type of task that she will have
    and possibly having more pockets to stuff junk in, then its okay

then she already has a separate mag holder and pocket holster.
    and found it to be too cumbersome.

....she was always plopping down her keys and the mag on the counter... and having to stuff it back in her pocket
    too much to remember too much to have in the pockets.

I have convinced her to carry a small EDC military style pouch modified with a purse strap and a velcro panel inside
    looks lady-like but tactical as well... but no more "tactical" than most backpacks or soft briefcases nowadays.

in the case is where this particular holster will reside.
    so it needs to be one piece.

it can be angled or positioned on the velcro panel or clipped in using premade slots
    thats why I wanted a clip-on one.

personally I find the belt-clip on the Keltec useful only in grab-n-go situations.
    She is scared something may catch the trigger, it probably wont as the trigger is hard ..but what about a lose string on her pants ..a protruding nail on a bench
    I know its hypothetical..but who knows..the right angle..enough pressure..its just too much for her to worry about.

In case of a situation she can just reach into the purse easily with either hand..(we drilled on this already)

Guys can have stuff in a bunch of different pockets and its no big deal..but when your wearing a form fitting suit or a uniform ..sometimes that isnt an option.
    especially when you are a female...they just cant walk around with 2lbs of crap in their front pocket.

and having a short business jacket on doesnt allow for a belt clip application.

she doesnt usually carry a purse..but this "purse" is small enough that it houses her keys..wallet the Kel-Tec and a few other small flat things, such as a small light, employee card.
    all wihtin easy reach

and she was always leaving the gun somewhere..with no place to put it..we tried an ankle holster...but again..some females that are toting guns arent big-ole-rough-n-tumble mountain gals,..some are dainty little things, who have to dress in business attire.

My wife is a slim 5"6" and only about 125 lbs.

so the ankle holster made it feel like an ankle weight, she felt it was making her walk funny, especially in her work shoes/heels
    (I said no that was probably me who did that but whatever.....)

the main focus points the holster must have

- black
    - non leather
    - accomodate CT laser
    - slot for mag
    - ambi
    - cant be "puffy" so that rules out Concealment Concepts

A desirable addition that will save me the headache of fabricating it myself is a belt clip,
    (in case she has ditch the bag....and has no pockets)

I am still having to fab on some velcro to the outsides of the holster so it positions on the panel properly.

The Black Hawk or the Uncle Mikes mods seem the best.. I looked at an Uncle Mikes today..but the shop I was at wanted 17.99 for it
    I know my local shop has them for 10.99

and the Gainsville Ga. Eastman gun show is Sat/Sunday...so I will look there as well before I buy.

after her "purse" is complete maybe I'll upload a few pics...its really quite slick.

and its just one of the carry options she will have.

15. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008

jakobe,

i'm definitely interested in seeing this purse. wow! just wanted to point out that the concealment concepts holster isn't really puffy. it's just ever so slightly puffier than the uncle mike's. i think it flattens out over time. definitely thinner than leather. please do post pics later.

16. David_S

David_S New Member

Dec 7, 2009

Looking forward to seeing this purse. Heck I'm a guy and it sounds like something I need ;D I'm always forgetting what stuff is in what pocket  :-[

17. jakobe

jakobe New Member

Dec 17, 2009

yeah its pretty cool, its just a one-of now

but I want one for myself.

soon as its done I'll post some pics..

Hit Bass Pro today to check out the pocket holsters...bought a Blackhawk size 1
    very very tight fit. but it was only 14.99

not gonna start cuttin or sewing on it till I see what the Eastman Gun show has.. I have never been to one in Ga.

18. Speedyfish

Speedyfish New Member

Mar 7, 2009

I have to agree with Dreadnought's post from yesterday. Your spare mag should be carried on your non-dominant side. If you plan to use your P3AT for self-defense, you need to practice reloading from a consistent and practical carry placement on your body.

19. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008

jakobe,

the blackhawk will stretch out to fit the CT grips but it'll take a few days. one trick is to unload the p3at, place it in a plastic zip lock bag and force it back into the holster and leave it over night. it's a great holster.

20. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008

i plan on using my P3AT for self defense only as a last resort. carrying my spare mag on my dominant side has very little to do with that fact. i just don't agree that my form of carry is impractical and i don't tell people what they "should" do. it seems that it is impractical for you but it's truly not for me.... so, i'll respectfully agree to disagree with you on this.

looking forward to seeing this purse, jakobe.