Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new lawn tractor. My 11 year old Craftsman is about to give up the ghost I'm afraid. It still runs good, but a lot of small things are starting to wear out or break, and I'm tired of band aiding the machine. I needed a new one last year, but the drought let me put it off. With the record rainfall we've been getting recently, I most likely will have to get one this Spring.

I saw a Husqvarna 54 in, 24 HP (Kawasaki V-twin) advertised in the new Northern Tool catalog for about $2400. The price is in my budget, but I don't know about the quality of their mowers. I have a Husqvarna chain saw that I am very happy with, so I would assume that the mowers are decent too?

If not this mower, I'm open to suggestions for others within this price range with a large cutting width. I will be mowing about 2.5 flat acres (few trees and not the smoothest) with this machine. I will be moving up from a 42 in, 15 HP machine, so anything will be an improvement.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I need a new lawn tractor. My 11 year old Craftsman is about to give up the ghost I'm afraid. It still runs good, but a lot of small things are starting to wear out or break, and I'm tired of band aiding the machine. I needed a new one last year, but the drought let me put it off. With the record rainfall we've been getting recently, I most likely will have to get one this Spring.

I saw a Husqvarna 54 in, 24 HP (Kawasaki V-twin) advertised in the new Northern Tool catalog for about $2400. The price is in my budget, but I don't know about the quality of their mowers. I have a Husqvarna chain saw that I am very happy with, so I would assume that the mowers are decent too?

If not this mower, I'm open to suggestions for others within this price range with a large cutting width. I will be mowing about 2.5 flat acres (few trees and not the smoothest) with this machine. I will be moving up from a 42 in, 15 HP machine, so anything will be an improvement.

Thanks in advance.
Husqvarna's are fairly bulletproof, though $2400 is the MSRP so you may as well go with your local Husqvarna dealer at that price.

<edit>Removed link due to signs of possible scam/fraud activity.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^Thanks for the link. That's pretty much the same mower for way less. Also, just looking around that site, there are some screaming deals on some of the other mowers I've been looking at compared to local prices. Have you ever ordered from them or know anything about them?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was about to buy a Husqvarna from Lowe's a couple years ago, but then I talked to the guy who does the local factory authorized service for them. I wanted to find out what kind of repairs he sees, and how reliable they are. He said he gets almost more warranty work than he can handle, so naturally he's a big fan. It's what keeps the lights on for him.

I bought a Simplicity instead, Snapper is the same brand.

·
Registered
24 Posts
While I havent shopped for mowers in a while and I'm unsure of the quality and craftsmanship of the Husqvarna the Kawasaki engine seems to have proved itself over the past several years. My JD with a Kawasaki has been great other than the oil leak on the main seal. It's a horizontal shaft. I believe all are vertical shafts now and are much more durable. I've put nearly 1000 hours on it. The husqvarna has a 3 year warranty so it seems they stand behind their work pretty well. The last time I purchased a JD it was only a 1 year warranty. I personally would get the highest quality mower within your budget, preferably a commercial model as they are usually built better with thicker decks and such.

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Craftsman Professional series are made by Husq and are identical in every way but paint.

I bought the 54" 27hp kohler(which really isnt 27 hp, as I recieved a check in the mail for them lying), but we hate it.

Because : we have a lot of slopes , and this mower has a very narrow rear wheel width, guess what happens when your on the side of a slope. The upper most wheel looses traction, its a BIG PROBLEM.
The engineering on this tractor for center of gravity /wheel placement is horrible.

Now...if you only have flat ground ...its fine . all else is built good.

Jim

·
Registered
597 Posts
I bought one a couple years ago. It's like a 24 HP & 46 or 48 inch cut. I did the same thing and sold my older Craftsman and bought a Husky. I wanted to sell the Craftsman while it still ran.... I like the Hydro drive on it and it's well built. I do have some issues with losing whell traction on hills but you learn to work with it after a while. I do miss some things about the Craftsman but I'm glad I have a mower that I don't have to worry about for years. If you buy from a dealer you get faster warranty work if you ever need it.....if you didn't get it at a dealer, mine said your not first in line...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, it sounds like I ought to be good to go with a Husqvarna then. And phideaux, you're right, I've noticed that all these different brands of mowers are pretty much if not the same (not just the Husq and Craftsman) when you take away the paint and/or hoods. I believe than when you step up into the commercial mower territory is when the brands start being more unique.

·
Registered
462 Posts
^^^Thanks for the link. That's pretty much the same mower for way less. Also, just looking around that site, there are some screaming deals on some of the other mowers I've been looking at compared to local prices. Have you ever ordered from them or know anything about them?
After doing more research, I'm having doubts about the legitimacy of the site. Their domain name is registered through Privacyprotect.org, which is becoming known for harboring scammers and their ilk, and the address given on their site is the Chinese Embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia.

It looks like you should stick to your local dealer and see if you can find one on sale.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I rent, so love of lawn and pristine went out the window when I sold my house. But I am doing my part for the economy by having Jean cut my lawn. Just lost that thing y'know. I used to mow every Sunday before football or horseshoes, depending on the season, now it's "keep it clean" no more no less.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
They're not even good at that. I seen a regular pair of shorts in there for fifty price tag--who's paying 50 for a pair of shorts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think I would go with a Deere. A number of years ago I knew a guiy who had a "Husky" and he couldn't get parts for it to fix. Things might be different now. My $.02.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Have had my Husq for a little over 2 years. Runs great and cuts well. No prblems with it exceptwhat I cause. I am a little rough with it. Have gone thru 3 sets of blades so far. Broke a spindle on it and was able to go to the Sears part store the same day and get a new one.
Will not buy a J Deere because you are paying for a paint job. Look under the hood and it is pretty much the same in all of them.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
There is a mower company near here that builds a heavy duty mower. The folks that I know that have one, swear by it.
Check: http://www.badboymowers.com

Life is short, be happy and mow safely
Jack

1 - 17 of 17 Posts