Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is ....HBYxx What's yours?
I have heard everyone talking about all the modifications they have to make to their p3at's, the mags, the barrels, the ramps, ect. Well, maybe these are old models? Mine was purchased in Nov. 2004 and I have put over 200 rounds, and not a single problem so far. What gives? Are there any others that have a serial number close or later that also have no problems? Let's hear from some people that are clear of defects. I am tired of hearing of problems.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Is it me?

P-3AT, serial # 001XX is functioning flawlessly. Two hands, strong hand, weak hand, it doesn’t matter. I had one jam in July of 2003 after firing 100 rounds of S&B followed but 13 rounds of Cor-Bon without cleaning. The built-up of burnt powder put so much stress that the assembly pin worked it’s self out. My other P-3ATs have never had a FTF or FTE but I confess to Lubing and using NAA extensions.

Wilson – who’s hoping Santa will bring him one of those inoperative P-3AT, so he can play gunsmith

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought my P3-AT 5 days ago with a serial # of HDBxx. Haven't shot it yet but also hope I have the latest mods. Sent it back for a HC-I'm sure they will check it out. Technicians won't be back until Feb 3 from a gun show , so there will be quite a back log waiting for them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine is HIJXX, bought fall of 'ot-4. Did a slight B&F, and once I tried enough different brands and styles of cartridges, found that it didn't like extra long (OAL) or big hollow points. Golden Sabres and Corbon HP's failed to feed. It likes shorter FMJ, Federal Classic HP's (small HP, rounded ogive), and thrives on Pow'ball (my carry load...couple hun'ert with nary a burp).
Can anyone clue me in on how "improved" it is...as in what factory parts were updated? The assembly pin has always stayed put, never has "walked".
Am totally happy with it. :D

·
Registered
792 Posts
It seems the only known improvements were the grooved assembly pin (I believe a couple of iterations) and the extractor, both of which yours should have had. There has been talk of a factory rampectomy, but no strong evidence that I have read. :)

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
A1A said:
. There has been talk of a factory rampectomy
Those seeing the new P-3AT, say no change in the feed ramp, just the remainder of the pistol. These changes add 15% to the weight of the P-3AT. Either the limpwristers have won or it’s becoming the prototype for the Tiny Nine.

Wilson – who’s wondering if his P-3ATs (version I) will become collectors additions

PS the feed ramp and frame underwent some dramatic changes between 001XX and 0026XX serial numbers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got mine today, HD239, parkerized slide. The dealer talked like it was more desireable than blue. I think I would have preferred the blue one, but it was the one I found. They are apparently pretty popular around here. I ran a few magazines of ball through it with no problems except an abrasion on the side of my trigger finger from the sharp tip of the trigger. How do plastic triggers take to de-horning? I think this will be the 'always' gun I had hoped it would be.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I sold S/N HEH99 yesterday and it does not appear to be any different than my earlier HCR58, with the exception that it ran flawlessly for the ten plus mags we ran through it in the Tennessee woods and my earlier gun took over 200 rounds to wear in and eject reliably. Now my mag pops loose after every shot!!!

>:(

G

·
I just picked up a HC P3AT, s/n HE8xx. Got it cleaned and ready to shoot. I was a little surprised, the feed ramp looked very smooth, the grip had no plastic filings (like my Kahr did), it actually looked like a good quality firearm. With all the problems I've read, I was expecting something a little more "sloppy." Of course the real test will be when I shoot it, probably not until next weekend but I have high hopes. ;D

·
Registered
306 Posts
Just bought a P3AT black with hard chrome slide
serial # HC***. There was machining particles in the barrel which finally came out with dish detergent and bristle brush followed by the hot water treatment. This gun has the .32 extractor. This decision was hard...I was really leaning towards the P11. Once I decided on the light weight and small profile, I jumped on this hard chrome model and figured the heck with the newer, heavier ones. Around my neck of the woods (Northest Of Philadelphia) P3AT's are hard to find and all are bringing $290 at local shops. I got a price of $229 by phone from Cabela's but they had only one and it was spoken for. With the hard chrome slide, I saved sending in and the upgrade price, so I didn't do badly, really. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got my parkerized .380 Feb 14th, S/N HD2xx. Kel-Tec tells me it was manufactured 12/7/04. Have only fired 25 rounds so far(Fiocchi FMJHP 90 gr) with not a single problem. Can rapid fire a four inch pattern at 7 yards with no problem. So far, I am a very satisfied owner.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.