Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they make cheapo suppressors for $150, and if you wanna reallypiss off the ATF you can make one out of a muffler (with the tax stamp of course) for way cheaper. I've never bought a suppressor, mainly because of the price point, but sadly I have no firearms I'm eyeing right now so I'm looking to supe up my RDB a little. For someone who considers a $200 Vortex Crossfire a premium optic, in that it's the most I've ever spent on glass and probably ever will (although I do love it and probably won't buy anything again less than a Vortex), what would be a decent price range for a new suppressor?

I'm expecting it to be more than I'd like to spend, but I'm also expecting not to buy anything if overall it's going to set me back $500 just for 30 decibels. Does anyone have any experience with a suppressor I'm going to like that won't cost a mortgage payment?

Likewise, I've also recently just learned that blast shields are a thing. Does anyone have any recommendations for those? A little user experience would be nice too, since I've never seen or heard one yet. It's my understanding you want a a compensator/brake of some kind inside. Are there any blast shields that work with the standard bird cage that comes with the RDB-17?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ATF cashed my check this past July 3rd and I was shooting the Turbo-k by the end of September.

I was shocked beyond belief because my last can (Omega 30) took 18 months.
I'm sure the bureaucratic/paperwork roadblocks are much quicker when they can see you've qualified for one in the past

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
Or maybe the hysteria and panic buying has died down and everything is back to normal?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't know what's going on with ATF. My first 2 suppressors took 4 months and my last one is going on month 13. It's the reason I haven't purchased two more suppressors, I just can't stomach the wait any longer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry, I'm late to the discussion. I love that price per value on the Turbo-K, but the reviewer indicated that it's not hearing safe. I'm looking for a can, that if in an emergency, I could just pick up my RDB, and use it and still have my hearing...😀. After years of loud noises and fun fire, my ears and head just can't take it. Can anyone advise an old paratrooper?

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you’re only going to get one suppressor ever, I wouldn’t recommend suppressing a 5.56 gun. It’s like adding a 17-speaker Mark Levinson premium audio system to a drag car with a stripped interior. You’re going to get much better performance out of using subsonic ammo in a suppressed .22lr, 9mm, or .300 blk. If you’re one of those people that just has an idea in your head and won’t listen, then I would recommend getting a good multi-caliber can so you can not have suicidal levels of buyer’s remorse when you’re disappointed at the results of trying to suppress a round that depends on high-velocity to do its thing. If you’re still not going to listen, then at least get a .30 cal can. When the aforementioned disappointment is realized, you’ll still be able to use it on .300/.308/7.62x39/etc. Plus you probably won’t even be able to tell the difference between a 5.56 and .30 cal can on a 5.56 AR15 firing supersonic rounds. I’m not saying that suppressing 5.56 is pointless or anything like that, but it’s something that I wouldn’t do until I suppressed other calibers/guns first. It’s definitely not the low-hanging fruit, not where your bang for the buck is at.

As far as blast shields/diverters, I would only get one if you already had a muzzle brake on your rifle. And then it’s not going to be quieter than the rifle in its stock configuration.

All in all, from what you’ve said you sound a lot like my mother in a certain aspect. Like instead of buying the good paper plates she buys those generic white paper plates. If you put anything besides toast on them, it soaks through the plate and into whatever you have the plate sitting on. If you put anything more than a feather on them, they fold up/over and dump your dinner on the ground. So you have to use like 3 of them, and that still doesn’t prevent the soak-through problem. So in addition to going through them 3x as fast, you have to account for the cost of the food that gets dumped on the floor/ground, the paper towels and cleaners used to clean up the mess from dumped food or liquids that have soaked through, and detergent and energy used from cleaning and laundering soiled fabrics. I love her to death but she’s so focused on spending the least amount possible that it drives me nuts, and she will often spend more trying to save money than she would have if she just would have went with the quality option to begin with. But if you’re like her, everything I said will be dismissed and you’re going to do what you’re going to do anyway. If that’s the case, then I genuinely hope everything I just said is wrong and you end up being over the moon happy with whatever you choose.

I also just noticed that I’m in the process of replying to an old thread that has recently been bumped, saw that just before I hit the “Post Reply” button. I don’t want to spend the time rewriting my response nor do I want to forego posting this in the event that it might help someone down the road, hopefully somebody finds my opinion useful. Notice I said “opinion”, because it is just that. It’s subjective by nature, although I tried to stick to factual concepts as much as possible. I guess that’s a long-winded way of saying that YMMV.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I agree with multi caliber cans. Not precisely what you're looking for but bear with me. I shot a 9mm PCC at a match a month ago and had my .45 can on it. The difference in holes is pretty large. Yet the RM told me that the gun was "ridiculously quiet". But it was special ammo that made for the combo that was partly responsible for the level of sound mitigation. But my point lost somewhere in all those words is that a can for a .30 will work for .223/5.56. You'll lose a bit of sound mitigation but it'll still work.

I have a can specifically for .223 and I fire lots of subsonic .223 through it. It's hellyweird quiet and no dirty .22 rimfire build up in it. But the main reason I got that can for quieting down my HD AR so that it could be used indoors should that ever be needed. Sure it still had supersonic crack but it got rid of the blast (a huge factor indoors) and lots of the noise of the firing. I've since retired that rifle and have gone to a 300BLK with supersonic ammo. Yes it wears a blast can to prevent ear drum damage. It does quiet it a bit, but it's mostly there for the blast. I did use it for a time on a .223/5.56.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts