Which SU-22 or PLR-22 interests you most?

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by ktwm, Jan 11, 2008.

1. ktwm

ktwm New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    I've noticed more posts in the SU-22 forum than the PLR-22 forum, and I am wondering if there is more interest in the rifle, so I thought I would make a poll.

the prices posted are NOT OFFICIAL and are just estimates of what you might pay.
    Current stated MSRP is $390 for the PLR-22 and $440 for the SU-22CA. (No MSRP for the other rifles yet).

for those not familiar with the different stocks here are some pictures of them on the SU-16 rifle:

Traditional Rifle Stock (SU-16CA)
    This would be California legal if a 10round mag is included:
    [​IMG]

AR-Stock (photo credit guru2sum)
    This would be California legal if a 10round mag is included:
    [​IMG]

Sidefolding stock prototype:
    This would not be California legal with a 10 round mag, since the OAL when folded is too short. Adding a muzzle brake should do it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PS you can vote for more than one.

EDITED to add MSRP and California compatibility

2. gbm5170

gbm5170 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Since I already have a PLR-16, I'm going to get the PLR-22 so that it has a little buddy!

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    From the design, layout, barrel lenght...I'm expecting the PLR-22 to have excellent accuracy. Even though its design my be a little bulky for a target grade, It should be extremely enjoyable.

4. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    More interested in the PLR-22 myself.

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    No SU-Charlie-22?

6. ktwm

ktwm New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    Probably not, since the stock will-not fold over the current 27 round BDM mag. Perhaps if/when a smaller mag (maybe 20 rounds) is made, so the stock can fold over it.  But you can put the C-stock on any of the models, if you still want the look, but it's not very usefull if you have to remove the mag whenever you want to fold or unfold the stock.

there are some 10 round metal ciener mags that should work with the C-stock, but those magazines are rather expensive, and I do not know if they will work (they should, but we have not tested them).

7. Bam_Bam

Bam_Bam New Member Supporter

Aug 29, 2005
    My Charlie Echo needs a playmate, 1 vote foe the SU-22CA, besides now I got a Charlie stock just waiting to be used.

I think the best marketing tactic would be sell the SU-22 as cheaply as possible and then let the owner decide how he/she would want to "accessorize" it just like we are already doing with the 16's!! Ruger does sell a few different models, but they still have ton's of accessories for them, I mean how many bone stock 10/22's do you see. I mean everyone buys the higher capacity mags at least don't they! Heck my brother has got a bull barrel, trigger job, nice scope and rings for his. KT needs to jump on the band wagon and quickly!!

I can't wait to have a matching set of SU's in the gun cabinet! :)

BamX2

8. Juicespeare1

Juicespeare1 New Member

Nov 12, 2005
    I voted too expensive for a 22 pistol as I already have a Ruger 22/45 MkII with tactical solutions 10" barrel. If the PLR-22 wa in the $200 range, I'd consider it. Otherwise it's too big and too expensive for just a plinking 22 pistol.

UPDATE: Hmm, is the $300 MSRP or street price, that might make a difference too.

I don't want the SU-22 either as I'm expecting a GSG-5 sometime in the next few weeks.

Sorry.

Like my PLR-16 and Sub2k though.

9. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I voted PLR-22, SU-22CA (even though I hate the way it sounds like it was made for the California market), and "I already have a .22 LR pistol and rifle". It's not like there's a law against owning more than one of each!

I opted for the lowest cost SU-22 because I plan on adding the leftover Charlie stock so I can have a compact underfolder.

Upon further reflection, I may opt for the side folder anyway. I like the compact forend better than the bipod forend, and the side folder is way cool. Then, it'd match my SU-16.

I look forward to trying some subsonic ammo in the SU-22, for minimal noise.

Good to know. Given that I'll have the Charlie stock, I'll test the Ciener mags for ya'. :)

They shouldn't. Bill Ruger repeatedly told every news agency and congressional hearing he could find that he never intended any sporting Rugers to have more than a five round magazine. That was in the runup to the Brady Bill, and that's most of the reason why we have ten round magazine limits in some states today, even after the Brady legislation sunset. Strange, but true. I still can't talk myself into buying a Ruger today.

10. Stevil

Stevil New Member

Sep 8, 2004
    I'd like the side-folder, but I'd have to bolt on a fairly long muzzle device here in CA, so I'll take the SU-22CA please.

11. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    And that is why I will never buy a NIB ruger ever again.

I'll take the side-folder. I promise to do whatever I need to do to the barrel to abide by the NFA.

;D

12. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    I voted PLR22. And I'm still interested in SBR'ing my PLR-16, which I guess would make it a SU-16 "Short" with a folding stock. So the folding stock is cool, just probably a little too much IMO for the .22LR plinker model. Should be a hit with the .223 ones though, I hope!

13. shootah800

shootah800 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    I voted PLR. Especially if the $300 is just MSRP, not actual dealer price.

-Matt

14. ksdtoday

ksdtoday New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    I have a SU-16c and would love to have a matching SU-22c. would love to strap it to my atv and plink targets all day without hurting the wallet. I can then stock up on .223 ammo. Price is out of my range to spend on a 22 but I understand the quality of this gun. So it wont hold me back on getting one.

Im just want to know if the extra clips can still be stored in the butt on the CA model?

15. ktwm

ktwm New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    Not really well. One end hangs out since the .22lr mags are very long. I'll see if I can get a picture of this.

16. Corelogik

Corelogik New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    I voted for the CA version. As I get older I find myself more in tune with "traditional" rifle stocks and somewhat less so with pistol grips,... My Subbie is the exception of course! :p

17. zappa50

zappa50 New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    NIAGARA FALLS NY
    :) I want the pistol

18. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Impressions After A Couple Of Weeks Of Percolating On The SU-22 and PLR-22:

I reload and have the cost of .223 down in the 10-11 cent per round range, so the cost of .223 isn't too bad. I think one reason I'm attracted to the SU-22 and PLR-22 is the noise level. I think they'll be more fun for plinking, not only because the ammo is a lot less expensive, but because the noise is a lot less. I'll still keep the PLR-16 and SU-16 if I want to shoot through 3/8" plate steel, but for casual can plinking, the .22LR versions should be a riot.

I simultaneously think it's neat that the mags look similar to the .223 mags, and also wish the mags were sized for .22LR. I appreciate the faux .223 looks, but also tend to appreciate things that were designed for the purpose, with form following function. The big mags for the little ammo seems inefficient on some level, but that's offset by the fact that it looks like the PLR-16 and SU-16, so I'm ambivalent on that point. But the overall concept is great.

I was hoping Kel-Tec would have some .22LR offering. I imagined either a pistol or a rifle and we got both! I imagined a design that started from scratch and created a new market by producing something that nobody else did, and we got some neat replica arms made from many of the same molds used to make the original versions. Pretty cool!

The SHOT Show is in a week and a half. I'd be surprised if there were any big surprises, but the RFB was a big surprise to me last year. Who knows?

19. lectrikhed

lectrikhed New Member

Sep 28, 2006
    I want the CA version and side folder stock as an accessory. I'm a CA resident so the pistol grip 22lr would be great. I really like the sidefolder.

20. rbsanspree

rbsanspree New Member

Feb 27, 2007
    I voted for the SU-22 AR version. At $400 it is similar priced to a new 10/22 ($200+) tapco 6-positon stock ($90+) and a 25 or 30 round mag ($20-$40). I would prefer to see it with the compact fore end and a reverse muzzle break. Mount a similar scope as on my AR and have a cheaper, quieter, more enjoyable time plinking. As for the plr-22's price point it is inline with the ruger charger 10/22. Dealer price (at my local dealer) is $285 (includes bi-pod, soft case, and a 10 round mag). He sells the PF-9 park'd and blue under $240 to give you an idea of pricing. He has my deposit and order ready to go.