Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I always thought the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x (Gen 1) that I have on my RDB was heavy at 16.2oz. I guess I should be happy though seeing as how it is the one of the lightest (aside for the low cap version) in the Vortex variable optic range. Maybe I can shed a bit of weight switching to individual rings as opposed to the canti-lever mount.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi all,

trying to narrow it down:

vortex strike eagle 1-6x~$200-$260

vortex strike eagle 1-8x~$380

primary arms
1-6x with ACSS ~$260

Bushnell 1-4x24 First Focal Plane BTR-1~ $250

Burris MTAC Ballistic CQ~ 500+ too expensive

Would love to hear opinions on quality, battery life reticle utillity

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,061 Posts
primary arms
1-6x with ACSS ~$260
I like the same optics. I can't help you cross any off that list, but I have one more for you to consider!

SWFA SS 1-4X24 - Very solid build quality. Built like a tank.

$400 for the scope.
https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-1-4x24-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html

But I think the better value is $420 for the scope and mount.
https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-1-4x24-tactical-30mm-riflescope-kit.html

No affiliation, other than a happy customer.

I also have the 1-6X Vortex Strike Eagle and it's a good value. With my older eyes, I appreciate a little more magnification than the 1-4X SWFA. I'm considering the 1-6X Primary Arms and the 1-8X Vortex for carbines that don't need the rugged reliability that I believe the SWFA provides.

SWFA makes a 1-6X, but $1000 is more than I usually want to pay, but I bet it's nice.

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-1-6x24-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html

Happy scope hunting!

PS - I'm in a similar optic acquisition mode. I just bought a 50 Beowulf carbine and it's going to need optics. I'm waffling between a red dot and one of the scopes on this list, and leaning toward the latter. It's a 200 yard carbine, but that's a bit beyond where my eyes want to use a red dot these days. I think I'll need some magnification to get the most out of the big bore AR-15. I may have talked myself into another 1-4X SWFA, but the 1-6X or 1-8X Vortex Strike Eagles are looking good too. Or I may go big and put a 16X SWFA fixed power scope on it. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
went with 1-8x strike eagle now i need to mount it.
what do you all think are qualities i should be looking for?
they can go from very cheap to expensive quickly. right now i am condisering either aero precision ~$7o or warne
A431M 30mm MSR ~$100.

thanks!

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
went with 1-8x strike eagle now i need to mount it.
what do you all think are qualities i should be looking for?
they can go from very cheap to expensive quickly. right now i am condisering either aero precision ~$7o or warne
A431M 30mm MSR ~$100.

thanks!
Try the Burris PEPR mount.

·
Super Moderator
10,061 Posts
I just ordered the SWFA 1-4X24 scope for my new RFB, and got it on a Cyber Monday deal with the SSALT mount, which is very nice. The SSALT might be worth a look on the SWFA site, Amazon or Optics Planet.

The one piece cantilevered mounts look good on an AR or bullpup, but a pair of extra tall 30mm rings can work well too and decent ones can be had for less money.

There are also quick release versions of the one piece mounts or rings, if that's something you might want to do later. Now is a good time to think about that possibility to avoid buying something and then buying a different version later.

Reactions: 850sub

·
Registered
6 Posts
i did 1-6x24 vortex strike eagle. i thought i wouldn't like the reticle too but it really works. The unconditional lifetime warranty is impossible to beat too. i have a strike fire 2 that was on it until i tried the strike eagle on it. if i take the end caps off there's not a lot in the way of 2 eye shooting and fast acquisition of the target.
Gun Firearm Airsoft gun Gun accessory Trigger

·
Registered
137 Posts
hi all,

trying to narrow it down:

primary arms
1-6x with ACSS ~$260

Bushnell 1-4x24 First Focal Plane BTR-1~ $250

Burris MTAC Ballistic CQ~ 500+ too expensive

Would love to hear opinions on quality, battery life reticle utillity

thanks!
I can’t comment on the first three but do NOT purchase a bushnell FFP. They are the worst piece of junk I’ve ever looked through. The throw lever is also super cheap feeling. The scope soured me from ever buying any bushnell product. Seriously that bad. It reminded me of looking through grandpas 40 year old budget binoculars we found in basement that maybe had spit and dust on the lenses. I’m sure like any company they have great scopes that cost more but the fact that they allowed their name to be put on that scope tells me that they don’t really care about the name or their customer because it was that bad. You can’t find a scope that crappy in Burris catalog.

I’ve tried many of these low power optics and they are great, but they all have some negative that I’ve found. Everyone loves the Burris MTAC and for good reason, great glass and features. But the reticle kinda sucks. I used the less expensive tac30 and it best value I’ve ever had in a low power scope. Loved the illumination, weight, glass, price, warranty. But, the reticle also sucks. Blocks too much target. But it’s very bright, easily daylight.

I have the swfa 1-4 non HD. Excellent value as well! Great reticle, good glass. I’ll probably put it on the rdb when I get it.

I also have the HD swfa 1-6. Great scope, but a little weird. Very heavy, and at 1x the view is a little distorted, almost .9x. I can’t seem to get the scope focused well across the range. If i focus well at 1x it loses reticle at 6x and vice versa. I’ve gotten a balance but it makes the 1x performance kinda crappy.

I tried the Burris 1.5-8 xtr2 and while it had some interesting features, the dual focal plane was not a good one, and the bulk of the scope was immense, and the eye box extremely unforgiving. I sold it.

Also of note is that a lot of these higher power scopes lose a lot of eye relief and eye box. In the real world this makes a big difference to me. So, a 1-4 still has a lot of application.

Now I’m interested in a new scope from Burris, a 1-6 power called the RT6. Price is great! $325,
Same glass as MTAC/tac30 and has much better reticle. Still 2fp, but for the price I think it may be a winner, even over the swfa.

I’d also like to try and keep it light. If anyone is unaware of scope technology they term HD means high density as in lenses and these scopes have twice as many lenses in them. These scopes rectify colors and have better clarity, at the expense of weight and cost. They are nice but wow they get heavy. This is where Leupold has really done some magic, their scopes are SUPER lightweight, yet somehow retain great clarity. They may have other issues that kept me from buying one, but their biggest plus is their weight.

Nikon has a new offering also in the 1-4 illuminated called night stalker or something like that. Has nice turret caps and looks pretty nice in the $400 range

·
Registered
9 Posts
I want to keep this as light as possible and went with a no frills red dot romeo 5. I own several rifles that can actually benefit from magnification more than this would with its 3-4 MOA. I keep my 1-6 1-8, & 3-9 for those.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I want to keep this as light as possible and went with a no frills red dot romeo 5. I own several rifles that can actually benefit from magnification more than this would with its 3-4 MOA. I keep my 1-6 1-8, & 3-9 for those.
I’m with you there - lighter the better. Adding a quality magnifier is a great way to go long and a 50 yd zero on a red dot gives superior coverage across various ranging solutions. Romeo 5 is a cost effective unit and I believe it’s essentially a Holosun with Sig Sauer’s name on it.

At the end of the day - whatever works best for you is my philosophy. I’m not going to go long with my RDB - I have 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 / 6 Creedmoor as my current long range faves.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ordered the Primary Arms 1-6x. Everyone seems to be raving about the ACSS reticle. Even the acogs are using it. Plus the gen3 scope (as well as the 1-8x) use a chevron instead of a dot.

I was hesitant on the weight of a variable optic, but I liked the flexibility and figured the balance will make it ok. Astigmatism means red-dots are a no-go. Heard the eotech's might be ok, but I'm not looking to spend that much.

Aero precision ultralight mount has already arrived. Now just have to wait for my 10-day waiting period to finish and for the scope to arrive.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I ordered the Primary Arms 1-6x. Everyone seems to be raving about the ACSS reticle. Even the acogs are using it. Plus the gen3 scope (as well as the 1-8x) use a chevron instead of a dot.

I was hesitant on the weight of a variable optic, but I liked the flexibility and figured the balance will make it ok. Astigmatism means red-dots are a no-go. Heard the eotech's might be ok, but I'm not looking to spend that much.

Aero precision ultralight mount has already arrived. Now just have to wait for my 10-day waiting period to finish and for the scope to arrive.
You can’t go wrong with this scope in this price range. The outer ring distortion and parallax are an issue but you won’t get away from that without shelling out more $$$$ to move to the Platinum range in the Primary Arms line.

Anyone know who actually makes the Primary Arms scopes? I know Holosun and others have produced red dots branded for them but not sure about the scopes & prism optics. I do know they’re made in China and, of the ones I have, quality can vary on exactly the same product. They do blow blem items out from time-to-time as well but I’d personally avoid their blem units as it doesn’t save a huge amount and there are noticeable problems you’re stuck with. Be careful of eBay where you’ll find “used” items that can easily be blem without disclosure.

ACSS is a nice reticle with built in ranging, however, it’s safe to say it suffers the same problem as mil dot and others with varying magnification and Second Focal Plane. Anyone aware of a FFP scope with ACSS? I do have some Primary Arms scopes that are FFP but none with ACSS.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You can’t go wrong with this scope in this price range. The outer ring distortion and parallax are an issue but you won’t get away from that without shelling out more $$$$ to move to the Platinum range in the Primary Arms line.

Anyone know who actually makes the Primary Arms scopes? I know Holosun and others have produced red dots branded for them but not sure about the scopes & prism optics. I do know they’re made in China and, of the ones I have, quality can vary on exactly the same product. They do blow blem items out from time-to-time as well but I’d personally avoid their blem units as it doesn’t save a huge amount and there are noticeable problems you’re stuck with. Be careful of eBay where you’ll find “used” items that can easily be blem without disclosure.

ACSS is a nice reticle with built in ranging, however, it’s safe to say it suffers the same problem as mil dot and others with varying magnification and Second Focal Plane. Anyone aware of a FFP scope with ACSS? I do have some Primary Arms scopes that are FFP but none with ACSS.
Hmm, maybe I’m just unlucky but you can definitely go wrong in the 300$ range optics. In fact, you can go wrong in optics all the way up as far as I can tell. I sold a VX-6 that was 2000$ new because it has milrad reticle and Moa turrets. I also bought a bushnell 1-4 tackytical that was so awful I couldn’t even look through it. I’ve had swfa, valdada, leupold, Burris, bushnell. So far Burris is my favorite overall, but every scope has its downsides and I’ve sold 3 Burris scopes and don’t even own one now for various reasons. My only two scopes are both SWFA right now. They are cool, but heavy. And I have a nagging issue on the 1-6 that may lead me to another optic to replace it. I want to try the Burris RT-6 and the new Nikon. Also the Burris 1-8 seems like a dream but without testing its impossible to say.

61 - 80 of 114 Posts