Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to order/hunt down a new Sub2000. I don't currently own
any other semi automatic hand guns...I am a revolver guy.

Since I don't need to match anything else I own, which is the best
option for the magazine version to order.

(I would say that if I was to get a semi auto, it would be an S&W MP9 or a Taurus G2.)

So, which is best for quality and cost of magazines and for magazine capacity options.

I know this is discussed before, but everything I find relates to someone already owning a particular semi hand gun to match mags with.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Glock 17, mags are readily available, reasonably priced, reliable......and you can get 32 round high caps if you wish. Glock 19 is a good option also but the grip is abit short for some folks.

·
Banned
325 Posts
Welcome to the forum to start up with!

Now, if you want to use Glock mags, go for the one that uses the g19/23 mags. You are then able to use the g19/23 15rd mags and larger. Both the wife and I carry Glock 19 pistols and she has a sub2000 that takes the g19/23 mags. I recently purchased a sub 2000 that takes the g17 mags. G19 mags will not work in it, so to standarize the mags I keep on hand, I will be changing the grip panel setup over to the g19/23 setup. If you get a S&W pistol, go with the one that takes those mags. I am not sure, but believe Beretta mags would also interchange and vice versa with this type of setup.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I am going to order/hunt down a new Sub2000. I don't currently own
any other semi automatic hand guns...I am a revolver guy.

Since I don't need to match anything else I own, which is the best
option for the magazine version to order.

(I would say that if I was to get a semi auto, it would be an S&W MP9 or a Taurus G2.)

So, which is best for quality and cost of magazines and for magazine capacity options.

I know this is discussed before, but everything I find relates to someone already owning a particular semi hand gun to match mags with.
In my opinion it depends on what your longer term plans are.

If you intend to purchase a semi-auto pistol at any point in the foreseeable future then I recommend getting the Sub 2000 that would match magazines. It would save you time, money, and trouble coordinating magazines (and maybe ammo) when you go shooting or when storing.

If you don't plan on getting a semi-auto pistol (or if you plan of selling the gun after you've played with it for a while) then I'd recommend getting the G17 or G19 models. They're the most popular (and the G19 model is the most difficult to find in the wild) so flipping would be easier, and magazines of all shapes and sizes are readily available.

·
Banned
325 Posts
In my opinion it depends on what your longer term plans are.

If you intend to purchase a semi-auto pistol at any point in the foreseeable future then I recommend getting the Sub 2000 that would match magazines. It would save you time, money, and trouble coordinating magazines (and maybe ammo) when you go shooting or when storing.

If you don't plan on getting a semi-auto pistol (or if you plan of selling the gun after you've played with it for a while) then I'd recommend getting the G17 or G19 models. They're the most popular (and the G19 model is the most difficult to find in the wild) so flipping would be easier, and magazines of all shapes and sizes are readily available.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This! ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm going to dissent a bit here and point out that there is a pretty big price difference on the Sub2k between the 9mm and 40S&W versions. I felt lucky when I got my G17 Gen2 recently that I only had to pay $490 on Gunbroker for it. But by the time I paid CC fees, shipping, and FFL transfer costs, it really was a $550 purchase. I've seen the 40 variations for $430 on Buds and $380 locally. And it's not like the OEM 40 Glock mags, for example, are any more expensive than the OEM 9 Glock mags. There are simply fewer third party choices.

I own a few 9mm pistols, including a Glock, so a 9mm Sub2k was the logical choice in my case. For the OP, with no ties to a caliber or pistol compatibility issues, a 40 Sub 2k should definately be a consideration.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Another vote for the Glock model - namely the 9mm Glock 19-compatible model. As previously mentioned, this allows you to use 15, 17 and 33 round Glock-compatible magazines.

Also as mentioned above, the grip is a bit short - shorter than holding an actual Glock 19, interestingly, but it's still plenty to hold and adding a longer mag (like the Glock 17 or 33 rounder) adds more grip area.

·
Banned
325 Posts
Another vote for the Glock model - namely the 9mm Glock 19-compatible model. As previously mentioned, this allows you to use 15, 17 and 33 round Glock-compatible magazines.

Also as mentioned above, the grip is a bit short - shorter than holding an actual Glock 19, interestingly, but it's still plenty to hold and adding a longer mag (like the Glock 17 or 33 rounder) adds more grip area.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This! ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Get the Glock 9mm version. Magpul makes good mags for Glocks for $15, but only in 9mm.

The Glock 9mm versions of the rifle are only $369, so couple that with lots of cheap mags available and that's the best choice.

Any of you folks paying over $400 for this gun, your dealer is a scumbag and ripping you off...

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
It seems everyone likes Glocks. Another alternative is to buy anything other than the Glock. Once you decide to get a semi auto that may not be a Glock, you can change out the mag release to accept other style mags if need be. I have a Gen1 (59 series mags) but I hope to be getting a Gen2 that takes the M&P flavor since I have those now too. I have several 59 series and M&P handguns. I cant help it, I like S&W.

·
Registered
861 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you...I do see there is confusion. I wonder if the guns are so hard to find and produce because they are making so many version. Is that just a by product of it being a pistol caliber rifle?
Sounds like Glock 17 or 19 is the way to go if you are never going to get a pistol.
S&W if you are going to get an S&W OR to give you the option to change the magazine flavor later, cause you cannot with the Glock version...do I have that right?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Thank you...I do see there is confusion. I wonder if the guns are so hard to find and produce because they are making so many version. Is that just a by product of it being a pistol caliber rifle?
Sounds like Glock 17 or 19 is the way to go if you are never going to get a pistol.
S&W if you are going to get an S&W OR to give you the option to change the magazine flavor later, cause you cannot with the Glock version...do I have that right?
Correct. Glock is Glock, the others can be change to different flavors.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I chose the G19 model for all the previously mentioned reasons along with the fact that I intend to use G17 magazines. With the G17 magazine, the extra length provides a very positive lock up of the magazine when it is inserted. Your hand doesn't bottom out on the base of the grip as with a flush fit. Kind of like the bottom extensions used in competition. The added reliability of an ensured lock up appealed to me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
it seems like you can only buy what you can find! I ended up buying a used gen 1 in glock 17 configuration. I wanted the Glock version anyway since it seems the mags are plentiful an cheap. For my semi auto handguns I like Sig so it didn't really matter to me.

·
Banned
325 Posts
I wanted the g19 setup but bought a gen 2 with the g17 grip panels because that was all I could find. Later ordered the g19 grip panels to convert it to what I wanted.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I wanted the g19 setup but bought a gen 2 with the g17 grip panels because that was all I could find. Later ordered the g19 grip panels to convert it to what I wanted.
When I bought my first S2K I did the exact opposite, 19s were the only variant I could find so I converted it with 17 grips. My 2nd S2K was a factory 17 model :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.