Which does your brass go

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by one_gun, Sep 28, 2007.

1. one_gun

one_gun New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    On your P3at which way does it throw the brass? Mine throws it straight back over my head. Also how high does it throw it? I'm wanting to make a portable backstop to catch my brass.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I held mine right handed gansta style 2 feet above the ground and fired a few rounds. Mine went 10 to12 feet perpendicular to the barrel.

3. Last time I asked my buddy at NASA to track mine, it was about 2.3 miles over the South East portion of Greenland.

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Mine is usually about 12 feet up and ends up about 20 feet behind me. I HATE shooting at a range because of this - someone else is always bothered by my brass. When I go out to the woods I like to shoot from inside a 12x12 screen room - it keeps all my brass in the same time zone.

-Scott

5. one_gun

one_gun New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    That's where mine are going. :-/ Guess I will have to build a higher backstop to stop my brass or put a screened in room inside my range. ;D

6. About the same as mine....

How about a brass catcher that fits on your hand....  

[​IMG]

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=112864&t=11082005

Not sure about the one above. I have never actually seen one. But it seems you could make something like it.

Basically a small fishnet looking catcher that has a wire frame soft enough to bend.

The handle some how loops around your hand and you can position the net close enough to the gun to catch the brass, but not so close it prohibits shooting the gun.

As the 3AT is not really a target gun to shoot bullseye with, it may work.

7. one_gun

one_gun New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    I wonder if they make one to fit on your head since the brass fly's straight back over my head?
    Not out to the right.

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I don't want anything on me, the gun etc. that I won't have around me when and if I ever need to shoot at something other than a target (no comments on middle of the night intruders please).

That is why I like the screen room but it is a pain if you are only going to shoot a couple of magazines. I like to go out and shoot a couple of hours worth of things at a time and it helps a lot to pick up my brass. I detest people who are so uncaring as to leave brass out in the woods. I don't reload but I have buckets and buckets of brass saved in case I ever decide to.

-Scott

9. Another option.........

A big tarp or old blanket on the ground.

If you see where a few empties land....... spread the blanket/tarp in that area. You should be able to catch most of them in that manner. After shooting, fold blanket/tarp in the midlle and pick up brass!

10. one_gun

one_gun New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    My range is inside my shop. With all sorts of equipment around for the brass to get lost under. :'( If I'm at my 7 yd the brass is bouncing off my overhead door at my 12 yd distance. I need to stop it in one spot right behind me. :)

11. wyo-man

wyo-man New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    The next county ....... I was the only one at the pistol range and still couldn't find my brass to reload them. :-/

wyo-man

12. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Or in my case, bottom of screen room. It works spectacular! Good suggestion.

-Scott

13. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Oh - my indoor range in the barn, now that is another story. My barn is covered with brass from floor to ceiling and every nook and cranny inbetween! "Honey, here is the Christmas decorations box, please pick all the extra pieces of brass out of it as you pull things out and give them back to me."

-Scott

14. Connection

Connection New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Heck, at one point with one of my P3ATs, I was just glad when the brass fully cleared the ejection port! :eek:

15. P380

P380 New Member

May 24, 2006
    My brass seems to find other shooters or the most unlikely places.
    The P3AT I have launches the brass at sub orbital velocities and there is no predicting where it will land.
    It throws the brass straight up, back to my right, forward to the right, into my collar, onto the range dividers, and at other range users.
    At least it clears the brass out of the chamber vigorously.   :)

16. one_gun

one_gun New Member

Jan 17, 2007
  17. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Might I suggest the use of the "quote" button in lieu of "reply." I don't have a clue with what you are agreeing but it must have been good! :-?

-Scott

18. Ohio_Rusty

Ohio_Rusty New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    My P3 throws the brass up over my right shoulder. In fact, most of the brass goes high enough that it ends up in the storage area in the barn above my head. I'll need a ladder to get my brass back !! I'm thinking of draping visqueen over the rafters to stop the brass from travelling out of sight.
    Ohio Rusty

19. DoubleTap

DoubleTap New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    My P3 usually throws the brass over my head to parts unknown. Once in a while I get hit in the head, but my guess would be that these are ‘ricochets’ from the overhead roof above the shooting benches. ::)

20. jackde3

jackde3 New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Nuie - you funny guy!

[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]