Where to find P3AT metal mag release???

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Jeremy3303, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Jeremy3303

Jeremy3303 New Member

Nov 6, 2008
    I keep reading about the metal mag release upgrade for the P3AT but am unable to fine anywhere to order it from. Where can I order this upgrade?

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    In the Trading Post here after you get 25 posts... One of the members here is starting to make them and I hear, though have not seen them, that they are really nice.

-Scott

3. Jeremy3303

Jeremy3303 New Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Thanks for the reply.

4. dyno

dyno New Member

May 21, 2007
    Also thanks for the reply! ...  :)

My P-3AT often dropped mags when I shot it.
    Originally thought it was me hitting the mag release ... tried different holds ... wasn't me.
    Changed out the mag catch ... solved it for a short time (I've always babied that catch, carefully inserting/seating the mags.)
    Sent pistol to mother ship ... they changed out the frame ... didn't fix it.

Then I removed the mag extensions & grip extensions I had installed ...
    Back to basic flat mag floor plates ... not as convenient to hold  ... but 100% reliable now.
    The leverage of my grip on the bottom of the mag, with the additions in place, apparently was enough to often shake the mag loose during the jolt of firing.

Occasionally my PF-9 would do the same ... the KT metal mag catch solved that problem.

I certainly would like KT to make metal ones for the P-3AT as well & I've expressed that to their customer service (always talked with very nice folks there.)

I have hopes of eventually getting a metal mag catch for the 3AT ... it certainly needs one.

5. Cortty

Cortty New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    I had a the same problem with mine using the bersa extension. Did you try the +1 extension and have the same problem?

6. wild_cat_mccane

wild_cat_mccane Banned

Sep 28, 2007
    What really is the purpose of it being plastic? was it just to save weight? cost?

Seems kind silly and I don't think anyone here would have been irritated if it had originally come with one.

7. dyno

dyno New Member

May 21, 2007
    "I had a the same problem with mine using the bersa extension. Did you try the +1 extension and have the same problem?"

Hi Cortty ....

Yes, all three of my mags would drop, two of them had the KT Grip Extensions & one had the 1-Round KT Magazine Extension. I'm guessing, as suggested, they use the plastic ones for both lower cost & weight.

It's easy to receive a new mag catch by mail & install it ...  I did that & it shot 100% for about 75 rounds ...
    and then began dropping mags again causing me to lose confidence in it.

I'm back to carrying it now though, using only the stock basic flat plate mags.
    I'm thinking this is not an unusual occurrence with the P-3AT ... lotta shaken/impact going on in that little frame at percussion!

BTW, I have both 1-Round Extensions & Grip Extensions on my P-32 ... never been a problem of any kind with that pistol.

Cheers.

8. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    I'm sure it's much cheaper to injection mold the rather complex shape of the mag catch than to CNC machine it.

9. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin Active Member

Apr 7, 2007
    I'm sure it's much cheaper to injection mold the rather complex shape of the mag catch than to CNC machine it.[/quote]

I think they realize this though as they are asking if people want certain metal parts and the PF-9 metal mag catch. I don't see the cost rasing to much if they used metal for the mag catches and mabey even the trigger on all of their guns. I had to pay for my metal mag catch for my PF-9 even though I told Kel-Tec I had a problem with the original one. Other people got it free. :-/ In any case it cost me $7 shipped for the catch. If they increased the cost of the PF-9 or their other firearms $7 with a metal mag catch already installed would people really complain? I know I would'nt since it gets used quite a bit with magazine changes.

10. Cortty

Cortty New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    I would have no problems paying the extra $ to take care of a major week spot on this gun. I'm not trying to bash the p3, I like mine alot. A metal catch seem to be a simple upgrade that would sure up the reliabilty of the p3.

11. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    stay tuned because there are rumors that a cnc machined aluminum mag release is in the works. keep it a secret until it reveals itself soon ;) do you think that would be something people would be interested in?

12. wild_cat_mccane

wild_cat_mccane Banned

Sep 28, 2007
    never thought about the trigger....I don't like the plastic mag release for obvious reasons. Does the trigger suffer any failures due to it being plastic? I am a newbie :)

13. harleyboy

harleyboy New Member

May 25, 2008
    I also love my p3 ,I just don't understand why keltec doesn't make a metal mag release for it :'(

14. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I'm glad I had the mag drop problem (J2Rxx) because, if I remember correctly, researching the problem is what led me to this sight. :) Got the metal catch that was being sold at that time which fixed the problem. So far my second P3AT (JPMxx) has not developed the problem but I'd gladly pay extra for the gun to come with a metal mag catch.

Take care...

Ps. NEVER slammed the mag home on either P3AT. Problem was definately not "pilot error" on first gun.

15. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    I think if the price was right, there would be a lot of people interested.

16. pertinax

pertinax New Member

Aug 31, 2007
    The guy that was allegedly going to make and sell them took money from folks for over a year, then vanished.

Two Pistol Packer was his handle. I'm lucky; he stole only $35 from me. There are lots of posts about this, but moved into a general forum.

17. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    send a PM to a user DaveNC, he makes a very nice metal mag catch, and the price is quite reasonable.

18. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    i am in the design process now and if i follow through with this, there will not be any rip offs. the best thing to prevent this is to sell just one to someone that will take a chance then let that person justify your honesty. i cant stand people in this world you make it a goal to rip other people off. >:( they can justify their actions someday to their Maker :'(.

19. Silver_Dollar

Silver_Dollar New Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Two Pistol Packer was making the mag catches. I purchased one from him about a year ago and it solved the problem. Apparently somewhere along the line he stopped making the catches, but kept taking the checks.

20. flaregun

flaregun New Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I would be a buyer of a metal catch and a metal trigger would not be a bad thing either.