Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Have you ever used one? I have shot a lot of M14/M1A's over the years. They ALL had them and I never once had call to use the dam thing:). I think their purpose was to free up your offhand when shooting full auto from a bipod as the diagrams indicate, especially on belt fed weapons... IMO I don't think it is a benefit to any rifle unless used under those conditions. Easy enough to experiment with though. Zip-tie a stick to the top of the RFB stock and see what it does for ya...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Because the M14 is nose heavy, it wants to stay stock-up nose-down. The RFB wants to stay at a different attitude so if you are holding it ready for a long period it would be helpful to have a rest. Currently I just use the sling to "suck" it into my shoulder but that's not ideal

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you've ever shot heavy target rifles standing it's the hook under your arm pit that help hold the front up which isnt heeded inour case. Maybe a velcro pad on the buttstock & what ever you wear to shoot or a pocket to set the butt in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I found that the RFB is almost neutrally balanced with the weight shifted slightly towards the rear. For me, this makes it harder to shoot accurately at longer distances as the muzzle tends to wander easier when pulling the trigger as there is almost no weight to stabilize the front end. I solved this, for me, by installing a heavier muzzle device (Strike Cookie Cutter). It does make my rifle look like a toilet plunger BUT I improved my accuracy greatly to a consistent sub-MOA machine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Cheapest and easiest way to make a "hook" shoulder rest for the RFB would really to buy thicker Kydex sheet ( 0.080 or thicker) and a heat gun , D.I.Y. fabricating one which doubles as a snap on cheek weld.

Not pretty , but cost effective andeasily moldable to your comfort/ Length of pull with no permanent modification to the RFB and you can effortlessly remove it for storage or if you decide you no longer want it on the rifle.

And Mattitude no digs on you / no negativity , but I would NOT want to be shooting a bay next to you , S.I.'s "Cookie Cutter" brakes definitely work but Whurf. The concussion coming off of them is BRUTAL , we're talking JP Recoil Eliminator levels of headache inducing pressure waves rolling laterally out of that rifle with aggression.

It's a great choice of brake but to anyone to the left or right of you it's like being slapped.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Used to get that from my old indoor range using full strength .44 mag handloads. I would lean out far eough to get the muzzle past the dividers and let 1 or 2 fly. If I looked over my shoulder at that point I would usually have 1 or 2 of my now scowling neighbors peeking around the back into my cubicle to see what sort of hell I was unleashing and inquiring if I was going to continue to do so:) Those who knew me would simply yell "Dammit Ron, knock that crap off" or something to that effect:) Ah good times...

·
Registered
112 Posts
.44 Magnum can be pretty darn concussive at indoor ranges , but doing R.O. timekeeper work during an informal tournament really showed me that the JP Recoil Eliminator and the Strike Industries Cooke Cutter brakes are just plain MEAN.

At the end of that day I felt like I had been punched around in the ring for a good 6 rounds , had a hell of a migraine and just wanted to lie down in a perfectly quiet dark room for a week.

Though to the credit of both they do indeed work and work well , as the muzzle barely moves with either and you get sort of a nice linear "push" as opposed to a sharp rise.

For 3 gunners they are a nice accessory to have in the ol' toolbox, , not my wheelhouse but if it works that well I am not gonnah knock it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
No worries as I'm well aware of the realities of using a headache-inducing muzzle device. The range I shoot at is not only outdoor but it's broken up into 3 separate ranges and I shoot during the day when normal people are doing responsible things...like working, going to school and things like that so I basically have the place all to myself. While the Cookie Cutter is a VERY effective brake, my primary purpose is to add forward weight to stabilize the front end and make accuracy more consistent.

And Mattitude no digs on you / no negativity , but I would NOT want to be shooting a bay next to you , S.I.'s "Cookie Cutter" brakes definitely work but Whurf. The concussion coming off of them is BRUTAL , we're talking JP Recoil Eliminator levels of headache inducing pressure waves rolling laterally out of that rifle with aggression.

It's a great choice of brake but to anyone to the left or right of you it's like being slapped.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.