Where oh where have the P3ATs gone?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by orkman, Jan 10, 2009.

1. orkman

orkman New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have called most gun dealers in my area, went to the gunshow today and can't find a P3ATs. Plenty of P32s. I saw some LCPs, but don't want to spend the extra $75.

Anyone know a dealer with P3ATs in stock? They are popular lil' suckers.

2. tallpines

tallpines New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Try an internet dealer like Gunbroker and have it shipped to a local FFL. Would be a little more expensive due to the transfer fee, but probably not as much as the extra coin for an LCP.

3. jungleman9941

jungleman9941 New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    yeah tell me about it, i have been looking and calling for the last 2 weeks. maybe next week will be better

4. TheWrights2004

TheWrights2004 New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    I live in Cocoa (home of Kel-Tec) and picked up my p3at about 2 months ago from a local shop, B&H. At the time they had a few in stock even though they were quickly being sold. Since then I went back 2 weeks ago and picked up my Mossberg 500 for HD and I heard them talking about how they are now sold out of all their p3at and were waiting for Kel-Tec to call them and let them know that a new batch is ready.

5. razoo

razoo New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I would imagine it depends on where you live. I am about 120 miles from KC, Mo. and they were hard to find. Went to KC and picked one up today. He had a few in stock. Not sure if they ship or not.

6. tallpines

tallpines New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Cocoa, huh? I used to live in Sanford. Bought my last P3AT at Shoot Straight in Casselberry. I know KT is a small company (been there more than once and got the tour), but it seems like EVERYTHING they make is in high demand. I read threads all the time (here and otherwise) about people not being able to find P3ATs, PF-9s, PLR-16s, SUB 2000s, etc. If they're in such demand, why doesn't KT expand its manufacturing facilities and hire more employees to meet such demand? If these things are being snapped up the instant they hit the shelves, it shouldn't be a financial reason as to why they can't expand production.

Gaston Glock started out small and making curtain rods and look where Glock is today. They don't even make rifles and, apparently, won't make the single stack Glock 9mm that everyone's been wanting, yet their handguns are are well known and used world wide. Kahr and Kel-Tec beat Glock to the single stack 9mm, but they aren't much compared to Glock's world wide market share.

It ain't exactly like George Kellgren is new to the firearm industry. Kel-Tec has been around since 1991...18 years. And he had a previous firearm company named Grendel...he also designed the Intratec guns, all well before Kel-Tec was born. It also ain't like he doesn't know how to fix bad designs. The Tec-9 was infamous for being a gangbanger POS because it jammed ALL the time. The Grendels weren't reliable, for the most part, either. Neither were the early Kel-Tecs. Modern ones are, but I went 'round and 'round with TWO early 1st gen P3ATs and a P32.

7. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Some dealers tell me they are almost impossible to get. There are two shops in my home town however that always have at least a couple on the shelves. I don't get it. Maybe it depends on who their distributor is and how hard they are really trying to get them.

8. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    " If they're in such demand, why doesn't KT expand its manufacturing facilities and hire more employees to meet such demand?  If these things are being snapped up the instant they hit the shelves, it shouldn't be a financial reason as to why they can't expand production. "

Risk.

They are not Glock, they have no guarantee that Law Enforcement or Military will pick them up. Until that happens, they will be conservative and protect their employees by focusing on the niche they already have.

9. ColeSpeed

ColeSpeed New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Harder to find these day. I went to the local gun show today and there were no P3-AT's for P32's. Saw one LCP and it was priced at $450.00! At that price I did not even bother to talk with him.

Two PF9's: one for $269 the other $349.

10. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    That is certainly a part of it.  KT does not sell to gun shops - only to distributors.  The distributors tend to allocate more guns to the larger dealers that move volume.  The smaller gun shops I frequently typically have few Kel-tecs.  The bigger volume dealers at the gun shows almost always have plenty of pistols, at least.

The early kel-tecs were a little rough and they had that reputation.  A lot of the early stuff on this site resulted from folks who figured out how to improve them and make them work better.  The F & B and various modifications were almost required for some guns, unless you wanted to bother to send them back for service.  Over the last several years, I think they have tweaked their quality control and/or manufacturing process.  The fit, finish and function has obviously improved a lot, even in the past 2 years.  Clearly, the guns they make today are far superior to those in the past.  Consequently, Kel-tecs are more popular than ever and demand is high.  

It would appear that Kel-tec should expand their operations.  But these are uncertain times for gun manufactures. From what I have seen, the Kel-tec CC pistols are usually in relatively good supply, local exceptions not withstanding.  The subbies, SUs and PLRs however, seem harder to find.  An AWB would likely affect all 3 of those weapons.  If that happens and they are forced to quit making those, they can increase pistol production.  If a ban doesn't happen, perhaps they could expand the business.  Unfortunately, they could be in this holding pattern for 8 years, even longer.  They are d@med if they do and d@med if they don't, huh?  Well, there's my opinion - worth every cent you paid. Now, if I could only find me an SU22 while they can still make them... :-?

11. carmike442

carmike442 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    I wouldn't mind getting a SU-22 too. Still haven't seen one in these parts.