Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have carried mine for a little under a month now and when its not on my pants, using belt clip, I keep it in a hollowed out book near my bed. I know it sounds cheesy but ive had teh book for a few years now and keep some cash and other things in there. My main question si where do you all keep your guns and do you use a case or holser to help with rust, or do you throw it in a drawer next to the bed.

Also, is there a greater risk of rusting using my hollowed out book method, I clean mine very throughly and frequently.

Justin

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
No indication of where you live, or if it is a high-humidity, or dry area of the country.

Regardless, I would suggest you never store a gun in a leather holster or case.
Nor would I store one in a nylon holster after it had been carried next to the body long enough to get sweat & salt soaked into it.

They are better off stored where air can circulate around them, rather being inside a padded case or a holster that may draw moisture and keep it in contact with the gun.

The hollow book is probably not too bad, but be sure and wipe down the gun with a Rig-Rag or Silicone cloth every time you handle it, and before you put it away in the book.

I also recommend a few coats of Paste floor wax, or other good Carnuba base wax rubbed into the finish. It won't completely stop rust, but it goes an awful long way in slowing it down.

rcmodel

·
Registered
20 Posts
What I was thinking about doing is clip it to the visor of my work truck when not in the holster between jobs. I messed up and bought a right handed clip, so it works out pretty well. Only problem I see is prying eyes when moving it into place out in public.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had a rust problem right off the bat, but I do live in humid FL. I both work and live a stones throw from salt water. Like RC said wax does help, I accually like the NUFINISH - it worked on my XD when nothing else would.
I ended up getting mine coated my Macs Refinishing, and am happy w/ it. I spend too much time fishing on salt water, I definitly needed it.
I always keep mine in its holster, which I never heard as being bad before. I just dont see a point in holstering, unholstering, holstering, unholstering.........everynight? I have quite a bit of holster wear on mine, w/out doin that. :-/

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Good luck to ya then.

I've cleaned up many a formerly nice gun over the years someone brought in that rusted bright red stored in a gun case or holster.

Personally, I'll take some honest holster wear over rust & pitting any old day!

rcmodel

·
Registered
18 Posts
I remove it from the pocket holster, quick wipe with silicone rag, keep it out of the holster and let it sleep in a pistol safe until morning. Same process for any of my carry guns..never store in holster.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
some1yell said:
Instead of the finishes you are talking about would applying mil-tec 1 to the outside do the same thing?  Thats what I have been doing every day or so.
Miltech-1 is a great lubricant but is actually very marginal for rust protection. It should work well enough in most cases though but CLP would be better for humidity / sweat, etc.

·
Registered
46 Posts
With rare exceptions, it is in my right front pocket, since my kids are out of the house, I hang the trousers with the P3AT in them. I keep a Glock in the bedroom well concealed. All others are in two hidden safes.

Jim

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
some1yell said:
II know it sounds cheesy but ive had teh book for a few years now and keep some cash and other things in there. My main question si where do you all keep your guns
There’s nothing wrong with a pistol that can be grabbed from a book; my wife keeps her hard chrome P-11 in one on the dressed (Glocks in the nightstands). But for a secure feeling when slipping between the sheets, there’s nothing better than knowing the bed was made with a Kel-Tec mousegun under each pillow. Most of the time I don’t bother putting away the mousegun I carry in my pocket around the house, I just slip it under the pillow to keep the others company.

Wilson – who’s not going to bore folks with what’s under the bed

·
Registered
396 Posts
I keep my 3AT IWB at 10:30, cross draw style, all day. (The P-11/40 is on the other side at 1:30)

The p-11/40 is parkerized and has held up fairly well for three years now, but I think it now needs a refinish and a hard chrome job.

The blued 3AT showed rust in three weeks IWB. I sent it to APW and had it hard chromed and have never had anymore trouble.

At night they join my SW40VE on the night table, 8" from my right hand. Don't worry, a burglar would never make it passed the dog, 4 cats, the wife or the doggie stairs at the foot of the bed to get to them before I do. (no kids in the house, ever, and friends and family know any gun seen IS loaded and ready to fire) ;D

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Wilson: As you are probably running out of space for new guns, I am willing to give you as much as $125.00 for one of your $100.00 guns. I guess it's the holiday season, I just want to be helpful.

·
Registered
396 Posts
SW40VE

RJ.
Actually it is both my wife and my favorite gun. Stainless/black.
It was inexpensive, carries a good self defensive round, and my wife and I both shoot the best with it.
Easy to empty a mag (15 rounds) on target in about 4 seconds. We both took our MO CCW competency tests with it and shot 20/20 (easy to do) in under 10 seconds. Really impressed the instructor. I tried to tell him it was the gun, not us.
Very safe, has a pin that locks the firing pin in place until the trigger is pulled passed a certain point, and no safeties to worry about moving on you while being carried
Everybody, short, tall, petite and not so petite, that has fired it finds the grip suits them well and it is easy to aim and it stays on target round after round after round.
Unfortunately, it is a little to large for me to carry at work, but the KT .380 and P-11/40 do fine for that. It does travel well in the car though, and it is usually with us on trips out of town. It is possible to travel from Florida to Montana with it. That lucky gun has seen a lot of states riding beside us. ;D ;D

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
rjhauser said:
wilson, I am sure given the collection of 100.00 mouseguns you have given a wonderful home to, there is not room for much else under the bed.
Oh . . . did I mention, one of my poor FG P-3ATs couldn’t be fix by me or the Kel-Tec elfs (if anyone from Kel-Tec is reading I’m certain I was the original owner and paid MSRP for this pistol). So the KT Master Fixer replaces the slide, barrel, grip, trigger, assembly pin, aluminum frame, trigger bar, guide rod, recoil springs, hammer assembly and likely a few unseen parts with new ones.

I gave it the ol’ Wilson F&B then put 50 rounds of mixed ammo through it with out a bobble. If I didn’t know better by looking at the serial number, I’d say this was a different pistol than the one I sent in.

Wilson – who’s wondering how a Buttonhead ended up on one of his first-generation P-3ATs :-/

G

·
thats about what kt did for me wilson on my last 380 . I had sent it in so many times that I thinketh they finally said, heh, lets give this guy a new one. Mine was a 2nd generation to start out with though, but this one is running just great.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.