Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not wanting to start any political rant, but I do like to tippy-toe on the edges.

So here comes the first distributions of the Coronavirus vaccine!
How many drug companies have suddenly come up with a new vaccine? How different are they?
Are you a medical, first responder or other frontline professional who will be eligible for the first rounds of the vaccine?
Will you take it? Or, like the first year model of any Jeep vehicle, wait to see who dies first?

No grandstanding on what the POTUS did or didn't do about this vaccine! Just are you gonna be the guinea pig or not and why?

I am in the first responder category and will be eligible for the first distributions.
But, I have done well this long with masking and distancing, so why risk my health on a vaccine?
I'll pass.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Joyce & I are both over 65. We are in good health & are isolating. Our only trips off our property are once a week to pickup the groceries (curbside) & once in a while to Tractor Supply or Lowes for something curbside. Online ordering is a lifeline.

Our only exposure to people is the dentist & Joyce's sisters. The dentist is really taking it seriously & Joyce's contact with her sisters is outside, masked & distanced (with Joyce staying up wind). Neither of the sisters is taking it as seriously as we do. Then again we have the attitude that too careful is maybe not enough.

In answer to the question, since our risk is actually low we probably won't vaccinate for a year or more. LOTS of folks need it worse than us & supplies will be slow to ramp up. Letting a little long term data accumulate is not a bad thing either. I've got too many cats & dogs counting on me to be taking chances.

Now for my opinion & this is just me. First responders and front line medical personnel should be at the front of the list with teachers right behind. Lobbyists, lawyers & politicians dead last.

Scott, you continue to be careful.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I don't plan on getting vaccinated anytime soon. This hasn't been studied enough for me to be comfortable with what the side effects might be.

And no, I'm not an antivaxer either lol.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have a state job and they’ll will likely have say in the who’s and the when’s about when I get to take it. Daughter has asthma so we’re pretty serious about our practices. Pediatric version is far behind the adult version. And those are the facts regarding my opinion of the vaccine.

I do enjoy telling the idiots at work that regurgitate facebook crap, that the vaccine will be the catalyst that turns people to zombie’s, finally. There appears to be a correlation to the people that think I’m serious and react w the “oh ****...” look to lower perceived IQ’s and anti-vaccine mentality.
I’ve one of them marks on my shoulder from a small pox vaccine. I’m glad I’ve never had small pox, I hear it’s more effective than calvary and cowboys.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm not in a high priority group, but I'll take it as soon as it is available for everyone.
I would prefer not to take a two part vaccine that has to be stored at -93 degrees or whatever. But if that's all that's available when my turn comes, I will take it. I guess it's whatever the VA offers at this point, since I don't believe in Medicrap.

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
I work at a high school around a few hundred kids who can be positive and feel just fine. I get tested every week at school, as do many students and staff, and have seen our positives rise each week. I'm sick of wearing a mask and avoiding friends and family. I will take it asap. I think by the time this winter is over, some who appear hesitant may change their minds.

Reactions: RAT76 and mtn_chef

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There have been cases of ppl having severe reactions to various vaccines.
I would like to see more statistical data on how well its tolerated. And even then, I would prefer an oral pill over an injection.
Another thing, having a vaccine and a resistance to the virus doesn't mean you aren't a carrier and vector to others. Virus can still hitch a ride on you.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I hear you txcajun. Been masked everyday at work since March, I’m on a college campus here.

miscreants...
getting my 4th? 5th? test in the last 3 weeks.
be safe yall, please

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had it end of Jan into early Feb. Didn't realize it at the time because it wasn't news yet. I thought my favorite frozen pizza had changed their sauce recipe. Thinking back, my loss of taste for weeks was the give away I had COVID. Beyond that oddity though, at the time I thought it was just a lingering cold. Intermittent mild cough; three or four days throughout I had fatigue and a very low grade fever.

My stress was high having just been laid off, and I was packing up my life to move from MN to TN the first week of Feb - a few weeks before the news broke and shutdowns started.

I haven't had a flu shot since I was small (I'm 33), and I'm in reasonable health and shape for my age.

So, no. I don't plan on getting the vaccine. For me, personally, it's not an illness worth worrying about.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I would prefer to wait for a “one dose” protection. Years ago the wife and I got the 2-dose shingles vaccine and when it came time for the second dose, there was none available, anywhere. We waited months till we finally we got the second shot. When I asked the Doc. if we were fully protected because of the delay, he said “You’ll probably be OK”. I can see that happening with the 2-dose Covid vaccine even more.

Bat **** my eye. Damn the Chinese. Damn biological warfare.

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
Just are you gonna be the guinea pig or not and why?
Probably. I'm in the Mission Essential Contractor personnel list on Base and the wife had a stroke a few years back so she's in an elevated risk group.

I've never been too worried about vaccines harming me, though I've often stated I have doubts about the efficacy of the annual flu vaccine. But mostly that's just because they're just guessing at which strain will be the dominant one and make the vac. to that. Often enough, it turns out that some other strain gains dominance instead, which reduces the efficacy of the vaccine. That said, I've been toying with getting a flu shot this year too, though I usually skip it. I skipped it last year and then got the flu in Feb. I coughed myself, literally, unconscious at least twice. Scared me. If I'd have gotten even a tad worse, I'd have gone to Urgent Care.

I do enjoy telling the idiots at work that regurgitate facebook crap, that the vaccine will be the catalyst that turns people to zombie’s, finally.
"Finally?" ?!?! I've got some bad news for them.

There appears to be a correlation to the people that think I’m serious and react w the “oh ****...” look to lower perceived IQ’s and anti-vaccine mentality.
I’ve one of them marks on my shoulder from a small pox vaccine.
Any time you see someone with that scar you know that they're from a different generation. You know the were probably born some time after '72 or so.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
554 Posts
I get the usual "over the hill" shots just because.... I doubt I will get the Covid shot just because I have many doubts about the veracity of the info and data being presented. I don't doubt the need for caution and safety because my wife has been fighting cancer since November of 2019 and we are all about caution at my house. I have had friends die of Covid complications, but I also know they weren't cautious about family gatherings and exposure. Heck we haven't even bought a 2021 calendar yet just in case it's not needed. LOL

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would prefer to wait for a “one dose” protection. Years ago the wife and I got the 2-dose shingles vaccine and when it came time for the second dose, there was none available, anywhere. We waited months till we finally we got the second shot. When I asked the Doc. if we were fully protected because of the delay, he said “You’ll probably be OK”. I can see that happening with the 2-dose Covid vaccine even more.

Bat **** my eye. Damn the Chinese. Damn biological warfare.
A few months outside of the 2-6 month window for the second shingles shot is not a problem. Maybe 2 or 3 years would be. The downside to waiting more than 6 months is during all that extra time prior to the second dose you are still not well protected from getting shingles, and when you look at someone over 50 waiting a year, well that is several percent of their expected lifespan that they are at higher risk. Looking at it that way, it is almost amazing that they push it out to 6 months when you only need 2 for your immune system to re-set and be ready to be rechallenged by another dose.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I'll take the Moderna one when it becomes available.
Took the flu-shot weeks ago. So my arm hurt for a day, BFD.
And it had 4 vaccines in it!:oops:
If a vaccine is out there that will prevent your death, and if you don't take it and die, they have an award for you.
...The Darwin Award.
Please remove your DNA on the way out of the gene-pool.:cool:
Fewer stupid people = more smart people

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
A few decades ago I had mentioned to a doctor, kind of matter of factly, that I get heartburn sometimes. Italian food etc. I told him I just chew an antacid tablet and it takes care of it.. He wanted to put me on Zantac. I did not take his advice. Look what happened with that. I'm reluctant to take any kind of drug because of the long term unknown effects. Even though the vaccine is a one time deal my wife and I are going to wait and see how it develops. How long of a wait not sure.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts