When will KT update the P-11?

Discussion in 'P-11 & P-40' started by hudson69, Mar 7, 2018.

1. hudson69

hudson69 Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Colorado
    The P11 has been around for a 100 years (it seems) but when will they (or someone else) offer a frame with a Picatinny rail and updated sights (metal/night/fiber optic) for the slide. Maybe a longer barrel (ported/threaded)......... ?

I really like my P11 but as someone who enjoys hanging lights and lasers on my guns it would really be appreciated. I mean the PF9 has a rail and its a single stack. At least give us the option.

Okay, done venting.

MattK and speedmaster like this.
  2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Never! It is what it is, and it's the best "what it is" there is. You don't mess with perfection. :)

nimbly likes this.

3. magnut

magnut Active Member

Mar 30, 2015
    LOL.. The heck with a rail. How about a scope mount and a shoulder stock. Better yet make an AR kit that the p11 drops into. Then instead of just getting an AR we can spend a bunch on a wannabe AR.

P11 is also long overdue for a bullpup conversion as well IMO.

In all serioussness there is a pretty good frame fitted laser available for it. If you must mount a flashlight take a 5906 mag and install a rail on the baseplate to mount a flashlight.

I am suprised KT has not come out with a new frame with a rail to be honest. I am not against it as long as they still make the non railed version as well. I like more rounded edges on carry guns.

If they throw out some sort of tactical frame for the p11 they should just go all out and make it longer as well to take 15 round mags without the sleeve. The throw a threaded barrel into it for accesories.

Better yet just make a mid- full size p11. That could be a heck of a pistol. Innexpensive mid- full size hammer fired Hicap that remains thin and uses a subframe. The extra weight on the slide would be benefitial in slowing the slide down a bit. Pistol would take 15 and 20rd s&w mags, double strike capability etc. etc. Since ruger has basically ripped off keltec with the enlarged crapurity 9.... Keltec should step in and do it right with a P15.

850sub likes this.
  4. hudson69

hudson69 Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Colorado

All I want is a rail for the option of having a light but I like the idea of a P15 as well.

5. magnut

magnut Active Member

Mar 30, 2015
    I know. I was just having some fun with you. I get sick of all the rails on handguns but I understand where your coming from. p11 doesnt get much press anymore and is more of a forgotten classic. If KT ever does a gen 2 I am sure they will do something with it.

If I was making that call I would tell them to fix the current designs and leave the P11 alone until they fix the PF9 and PMR.

P15 would be awesome of course. As would a double stack P3at with a 10-11 round magazine similar to the old grendel but do away with the shortcomings the grendel had.... mainly the hammer spring design. Kind of a shrunk down p11 in 380acp small enough for pocket carry.

P11 is keltecs best design IMO. I wish they would not have switched to all the striker fired junk which is essentially just giving us really crappy single action triggers.

6. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    The P11, KT's first firearm, is a 33 years old classic, and that's not counting it's Grendel ancestors. For caliber, capacity, compact size and light weight, most makers have yet to catch up to this design. If GK was interested in a gen 2, I think we'd have seen it by now. Neither do I think a gen 2 would generate enough buzz in the market place to bother with. Besides, rail smail. If you have to have a rail, there's your excuse for a PF9.

7. magnut

magnut Active Member

Mar 30, 2015
    maybe a side rail could be done useing the frame pin holes similar to the belt clip setup. Of course it would be a custom job. A small peice of picitanny drilled and tapped for frame pins to screw into. I still think the best way would be to mount a flashlight on the magazine base as it would be easily detatched or attatched. You might have to use a 15rd mag to give your hand enough clearance. i dont think the frame has enough meat or clearance in the dust cover to pull off mounting a rail.

I tried the flashlight setup on a few pistols and rifles through the years and they worked fine. These days I just use flares. You almost dont even need to carry a firearm when shoot a flare up. Threats usually scatter because they think you have a squad backing you up LOL.... kidding of course.

8. hudson69

hudson69 Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Colorado
    Since pistol frames are cheap I think I will experiment.

mark40 likes this.
  9. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    That's the old KT way. :)

GeorgiaRebel likes this.
  10. hudson69

hudson69 Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Colorado
    Its how my PF9 ended up with a fiberoptic front sight..... Who makes a 1" piece of rail?

11. lklawson

lklawson Well-Known Member Supporter

Oct 13, 2009
    Huber Heights, OH
    You, a 6" rail from Brownells, and a hacksaw. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. mrchuck

mrchuck Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Gun Barrel City, TX
    The P-11 is perfect as it is. I carry it daily. I also have the P-40,both with their belt clips.
    Also, like today,I'll carry my KAHR CM45 into Dallas for a change.
    I like diversity!

Blake Humphrey likes this.
  13. boomerweps

boomerweps Active Member

Sep 4, 2006
    I acually posted about this a few months back. Adding a rail to the p11 is an easy plastic frame change. KelTec could offer both grip frames in the spare parts section and people could have a choice.
    You can buy short plastic rails via eBay in different lengths fairly cheap. I bought one but am holding back on adding it since none of my p11 holsters will work with it.
    I think a "service" size P11 would be a great idea.
    Updating the rear sights to a screw on unit like the PF9 would allow using aftermarket tritium sights. I did change out my P11 front sight with a tritium unit.
    My reason for wanting a rail on my P11 is that mine is mostly my bedstand bump in the night firearm and a flashlight/laser is appropriate there.

14. Dreamsinger

Dreamsinger Member

Dec 26, 2016
    North of Seattle
    I don't know about "perfection". There's room for improvement. It's the easiest gun to carry concealed so it winds up being my EDC most of time. Still, the trigger still sucks in its effort, the arch of the trigger and its lack of an overtravel stop. If the Glock 43 evolves into something as easy to carry as my P11 I may have to retire the P11.

15. mrchuck

mrchuck Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Gun Barrel City, TX
    Today,,, I carried my Kahr CW45.
    Have to use a small thin IWB holster.
    It only has a 6 round magazive,plus one in the chamber. It's trigger is long and smooth.
    Kel-Tec could improve their's to be this way, and I would be happy!

16. magnut

magnut Active Member

Mar 30, 2015
    kahr is striker fired with no second strike capability from what I remember.

17. Dreamsinger

Dreamsinger Member

Dec 26, 2016
    North of Seattle
    I wouldn't call it "perfect". Even though it's good points make it my EDC there's room for improvement. A friendlier trigger arch and trigger stop would be a good place to start.

18. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Clipping an eighth inch off the trigger tip & re-contouring it to the back edge is a good start. A firm smooth pull thru seems to work pretty well for me. Haven't felt the need for a trigger stop, don't want to have even a long chance of not resetting the trigger.

Not much change but big difference in comfort & no pinch point.

P40 conversion with modified trigger on left, unmodified P11 on right.

P40 trigger 2.jpg P40 trigger 1.jpg

19. MattK

MattK Member

May 9, 2018
    I'm not sold on the longer barrel idea but a rail like the PF-9 has is a good idea as it would (arguably) make it a bit more versatile as a concealed carry/home defense pistol because you could put a QD light on it at bedtime.

850sub likes this.
  20. HatRon56

HatRon56 Grand Poobah Supporter

May 25, 2007
    Hampton Roads,VA
    I used a hair dryer and a broom handle on my P-11's to stretch out the trigger guard for my fat fingers. If Kel Tec would put the trigger of the Pf9 into the P-11 frame I would go back to carrying a P-11.

MattK likes this.