When is P-3AT good to use for carry?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rwschill, Jul 10, 2008.

1. rwschill

rwschill New Member

Feb 24, 2008
    I have a fairly new P-3AT. It had a few FTF when brand new but now after about 300 total rounds it seems fine. Yesterday I fired 80 rounds of Aquila 380 without any failures. No cleaning for 200 rounds. What test should be used to be comfortable with CCW.?

2. carmike442

carmike442 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    200 rounds without cleaning seems like a pretty good test to me.

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Yep, some of these little pistols might not do 200 perfect rounds with no cleaning, but even that doesn't mean they are not suitable for carry.  This gun is designed to be easy to carry, and to dump a mag up close and personal to save your butt in a worst case scenario.  It is not a combat weapon.  Yours is well proven.  I would, however, test it with a some rounds of my intended carry ammo, if you have not already done so.  

4. Reading the thread title-- I was ready to say 24/7!

I would say 200-300 rounds with out failure is good to go as long as many 20-30 rounds of that was your SD ammo.

That is to say.... 300 rounds of winchester FMJ without any testing of DPX would not be ok if you use DPX for self protection.

5. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Another way is the gut check. If you pull it, will it fire? If you say yes, and your gut is ok with it, go with it. I, too, thought you ment what time is it ok to carry, and my answer was "when awake". If I have pockets...

P.S. Welcome to KTOG.

6. quickmick7

quickmick7 New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    south florida
    welcome...your "little" gun is ready....i would feel very confident....

7. rwschill

rwschill New Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Thanks everyone for the input. I see the confusion with my question, I did mean reliability issues rather than when to carry.

8. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    shoot
    clean
    grease

shoot
    clean
    grease

repeat - until it always works

now - carry

shoot
    clean
    grease
    carry

shoot
    clean
    grease
    carry

9. Warty

Warty Banned

Dec 11, 2007
    TH, IN
    well, for me I use it as a BUG only.  I simply can't get my mind around this being my primary.

I carry either my Ruger P345 or the P-11* when it is too hot for the bigger gun and its holster.
    The BUG remains in my front pocket unless it is a P-11* day, then it moves to a tiny Fobus holster at the kidney.

*soon to be replaced with my new acquisition, a P357.  :)

10. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    24/7

;)

But yours sounds fine. My "requirements" for carry were 200 rounds of FMJ with no problems (well, not user induced ones) and 50 rounds of my chosen JHP. Not all at once
    ;D

11. FastEddie

FastEddie New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    My lil guy has been in my pocket every moment I am awake ( and a lot of time I am asleep ) for about 3 years. Its the perfect "always" gun and I never notice it in pocket or has anyone else. That said I didnt feel safe until it shot over 300 rounds down range with no problems as it did have issues when I just bought it. One cool thing, hadnt been to a range in 7 months, went with a friend when he got a pf9 that i convinced him to buy. I know Im bad. Anyways, took the p3at out of my pocket and cleared the magazine, dropped the mag, pulled my spare mag, shot those, no hickups, but some nice lint shot out from where the hammer is hiding lol. I was impressed.

12. Forge

Forge New Member

Jul 15, 2008
    I've always heard that you could safely carry a weapon after a few hundred rounds of your prefered self defense ammo have been fired in a row with ZERO malfunctions! Of course you can clean and oil it in between outings, because hopefully you will be carrying a clean and freshly oiled handgun if you are staking you life on it. I know that this can be expensive, but what is your life worth?

13. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    This 200 rounds sounds good for an auto. What about a wheel gun? I just got the wife a little s&w 38 snub nose. It seems to me that if it fires 15 rounds it works. Do you feel that a wheel gun needs to run 200 rounds? Not that i'm agains running the rounds thru it, you know, just wondering what the thoughts were. See Ya,
    Lop

14. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Of course revolvers have less moving parts and are generally less prone to reliablilty issues. However, they are not trouble free either. I would want 100 rounds though it before I relied on it. Besides, practice is good. ;)

15. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Tanks,
    that's what my gut was saying also. I bought her some reloaded ammo 50 fmj, 50 jhp +p at the show, and I figured when that was gone, get some real ammo for carry.

16. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Gunshow reloads? :-/

17. Not trying to be a jerk... but please consider other options for ammo for the 3AT.

Tx was being nice----- gun show reloads is not something I play with...very iffy in general, and especially in a light weight... at the very engineering edge polymer gun.

AND-- Double especially if the guy tries to sell me a round that does not exist.

[highlight]There is no such thing as .380 +p.[/highlight]

SAAMI sets loading pressure standards--- and there is no standard for .380 +p. It is sales hype, or someone loading above recognized safety standards.

Please.... consider other options. Decent quality factory ammo should not cost you that much more.

18. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Wow, Knew I'd catch it for that one.
    First, I changed thread topic and was talking about a new s&w mdl 637 snub nose .38 revolver, not my p3. Here is a link to the company that was at the Eastman gun show in north atlanta last weekend:
    http://georgia-arms.com/index.aspx
    I knew I was slumming but I also did not know if the wife would be at all interested in the piece. We have some health issues and strengh issues and I was unsure of the reception. I'm glad to report that she was happy. I figured the 100 rounds would hook her or loose her.
    Thanks for your concern and the oh, so sutle way you called me a fool. It's cool, I've been a fool before. If you think I'm doing something dangerous, please let me know.

19. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I don't think anyone was calling you anything, let alone a fool. Just a friendly warning about using garden variety reloaded ammo bought at a gunshow. When you don't know who reloaded it, under what standards, etc, it is usually not a good idea. Folks have been hurt like that. FWIW, GA has a good reputation.

20. lop-

No name calling from my corner I assure you.

If you re-read my post, you will see that I was simply telling you what I do.

And also a bit of education about the oft hyped non-existent .380+p.

No preaching on my part.

Good luck with the 3AT.