Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like my 3AT, and would like to own it long-term. Question: were any of the 2nd generation guns free of this peening thing? I mean, if I wait it out, does nayone think it will be possible to eventually get a slide that is not prone to peening? It'd be nice to think that, eventually, things can be put right with this gun.

With all the negative posts, I'm tempted to install the replacement slide I received, and then just get rid of the gun without firing another round through it. At this point, I'm not sure I'd buy another KT product. Not out of anger, but rather personal safety. It's hard to say that, because I've only had the gun 2 months, and I really like the concept of the gun.

Mike

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
MSZO said:
then just get rid of the gun without firing another round through it.
Let me be the first to offer you a crisp new $100 bill for that P-3AT which is causing you concern ;D

I have several SG P-3ATs and have yet to personally see a peening P-3AT. I sure would like to have one for my very own.

Wilson – who’s hoping this thread can be locked before some greedy unscrupulous member tries to out bid him :)

PS It is my understanding that peening can be observed long before it becomes an operational problem, so why not continue to swap slides until you get one that doesn’t peen

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
IIRC, the 1st peening slide we saw was made in late August 06 - the last in early Feb 07. During that time period, KT made about 24,000 P3ATs. A relative small percentage had the "problem". I think we saw 3 or 4 that actually ever failed to fire. :-/

OK, I'll play... $102. ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm. Well, I guess I've got nothing to lose by waiting it out. When the peening posts stop, I guess it'll be safe to get another slide.

The new slide I have in reserve at the present looks thin, but who knows? It seems odd that a computer-controlled process could make such an error. If it peens, I guess I'll get a new slide for it in December, or later perhaps.

Mike

·
Registered
252 Posts
A CNC machine doesn't change, but a set-up does, cause a human does it. Then, no first article inspection, no in process inspection, and no final inspection lets it out. (or poor inspection sampling or a % defective so small the sampling plan doesn't detect it)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.