Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a few things today and remember a conversation or two of people who have had a great experience with a fire arm that gets little or no recognition . I truly enjoy hearing tales of this sort. So if you have ( or know someone who has ) a firearm that for some reason or another does not quite get the recognition it deserves please let me know. I recently posted about my good ole 20 gauge shot gun. I have had many a pal scoff at me for liking this old bolt action buddy of mine , but its been with me the longest . I remember a time my pals invited me to shoot clay pigeons in the desert. They had some real nice Ruger and browning under and over shotguns. When I pulled out my old Mossberg bolt action twenty gauge they all but laughed me out of the range. Well It's all I had at the time. Well it turns out I had a pretty good day ( And more practice with my old pal) that day. I put down more pigeons that day then both of them combined.( I guess they should of practiced a bit more after pulling those shiny new shotguns out of the box) and spent less shells to boot. Well that's my memory ; please tell me all of yours. I look forward to hearing all those underrated firearms out there. :usa:
Air gun Wood Shotgun
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Shotgun
Gun Rifle Trigger Firearm Shotgun
Brown Liquid Material property Cosmetics Glass
Black-and-white Illustration Auto part Monochrome photography
Blue Orange Sky Water Balloon
Orange
Cartoon Clip art Illustration

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Uberti 1873 Cattleman:

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Product

I wouldn't say it is "underrated" as much as "not seen at the range frequently" (except probably at cowboy action shoots).

https://www.uberti-usa.com/1873-single-action-cattleman-revolvers

These SAA revolvers are well built and have an awesome trigger out of the box. You can move up to the "El Patron" model if you want a high-end tuned version.

·
Registered
471 Posts
i had a uberti LC.. nice guns

i would say my P32 is probably the most under rated gun i have.. gun snobs squak at the thought, in fact some family members that carry think ive lost my mind for carrying it... not sure if its because its a keltec or a .32...

tbh makes no difference to me, i like what works for me and thats all that matters... and two of these guys carry Israeli style, ive got a lot to say about them but i digress

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had a uberti LC.. nice guns

i would say my P32 is probably the most under rated gun i have.. gun snobs squak at the thought, in fact some family members that carry think ive lost my mind for carrying it... not sure if its because its a keltec or a .32...

tbh makes no difference to me, i like what works for me and thats all that matters... and two of these guys carry Israeli style, ive got a lot to say about them but i digress
I do not know but for some reason people think smaller calibers are not sufficient for carry. Personally anything you can use efficiently is useful . Hey a 22lr can easily go through a 1/2 in piece of pine board 30 feet ( or more) so a .32 is still a good way to defend ones self.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Another vote here for the P32. Love both of mine, both Gen 1's, and my gal liked her Gen 2 ... until she got all distracted by her Ruger LCP ... because, y'know, stainless (we have some similar tastes there) ... :D

My P32 won't be replaced anytime soon, though, because even though I have a nearly-matching stainless LCP, myself (newer model with different slide serrations), the P32 is just a tad lighter and thinner, thus it makes a better "exercise gun" to keep in my back pocket when I'm running my butt off on the treadmill at the gym or around the block - specifically the hard-chromed model. Still tempted to pick up a hard-chromed or nickel-boron version Gen 2 if I ever find one sometime ... just because. The things are cheap and simple but totally reliable, quite comfortable to shoot (compared to the LCP, which requires a squishy Hogue grip for me to shoot without pain), and the extra round of capacity and last round hold-open are always nice. It's rarely my primary, but I still don't feel naked or undergunned (especially with a spare 10-round mag on hand) if it's the only gun I'm carrying.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Uberti 1873 Cattleman:

View attachment 33263

I wouldn't say it is "underrated" as much as "not seen at the range frequently" (except probably at cowboy action shoots).

https://www.uberti-usa.com/1873-single-action-cattleman-revolvers

These SAA revolvers are well built and have an awesome trigger out of the box. You can move up to the "El Patron" model if you want a high-end tuned version.
The Cattleman has gotten some recognition. In the video game Red Dead Redemption (and the zombie centered add on Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare) the first gun the player character has is a single action army type revolver called the 'Cattleman' - even though Uberti didn't really exist, then and most of the other firearms that show up are, as far as I can tell, historically accurate.

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Under rated... yeah I think the .44 spcl caliber , in general , is under rated.
I also believe Charter Arms is under rated.
But not by me. I really like my CA Bulldog in .44 special.
Very potent round, easy recoevery for follwo up,

Never has failed when the trigger was pulled and always hit what I aim at.

Under rated.

Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol Airsoft gun

Jim

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Under rated... yeah I think the .44 spcl caliber , in general , is under rated.
Very potent round, easy recoevery for follwo up,

Never has failed when the trigger was pulled and always hit what I aim at.

Under rated.

View attachment 33274

Jim
That is a nice lookin', little wheelie. I wanted a Bulldog at one time but then I realized that .44 Special ammo costs exactly the same (in most places) as .44 Magnum so I ended up going the Magnum route (a SBH with a 7 inch barrel, a Taurus with a 4 inch barrel and a Marlin lever), instead. I have an old box of Remington .44 Special LRN that belonged to my dad, though, and can say that out of the SBH (haven't tried them in the Taurus) they really are sweet shooting. I don't really carry the Taurus for 'social work' in town - more when I go camping to at least give me a chance just in case a black bear decides to get froggy so I load it up with magnums. If I were going to carry it as a 'town gun' to defend against two-legged critters, though, I would probably load it up with some good .44 Special JHP for the reasons you said - lighter recoil, more control and so on.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Okay, someone has to say it so I guess I will - I think my Hi Point 9mm carbine and pistol are my two most underrated. The carbines get a little more love than the pistols. The pistol was one I bought used like new (in the plastic case and everything.) I actually bought it for my mom to try out a 9mm as she had mostly shot the smaller caliber automatics (.25 and .32) most of her life and I wanted her to have something bigger for home defense. My idea was that if she liked the round we could trade it for something 'better'. Well, she ended up loving the Hi Point. So much so, in fact, that she eventually bought its 'big brother' in .45acp. When she passed earlier this year I got it back and have been keeping it in a pistol lockbox in my vehicle as my 'truck gun'. I personally wouldn't carry any striker fired pistol - I just plain don't like them for carry. The Hi Point is clunky, bulky and pretty heavy for such a low capacity. It also has never failed to fire (except possibly due to an ammo problem, not the gun) and is surprisingly accurate and easy to shoot accurately. It is an ugly duckling, for sure, but I would trust it with my life (and do, being that it is my truck gun meaning that is what I would have to rely on in such times that, for whatever reason, I can't carry on my person.)

The carbine is also very accurate and reliable. I had one with the old 'Planet of the Apes' stock but traded it for a TS model - the TS model was also used so the money difference I threw in with my trade in at the LGS wouldn't have paid to buy a TS stock and go through the PITA of swapping the old one out. I used the older one as an HD gun for a while and, although I have other options, now, would not hesitate to rely on the new one for that role, again.

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
I hear ya Jab,
I would have a problem paying store cost on the .44 spcl.

The .44 spcl is Sooooo easy to reload , like the 44 mag.

I have had much fun reloading this caliber.

Jim

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I will say similar experience with my Hi-Point firearmms.
My 9mm pistol has been 100% reliable.
Even loaned it to my parents for a pack/trail gun for a couple years. And I love my .45 carbine!
Since break in, it's been a great gun. But I loaned it to a friend, and I think he boinked my rear sight.
Good to know I have their legendary warranty if I need it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
My Standard Arms Model M pump in 25 Remington. Pretty unknown gun today, read some of the articles by 1950 and 60s gun writers, and the Standards were always trashed. They made two models, the "M" (manual, I suppose) which was a pump action, and a "G", which was gas operated , with a backup ability to function as a pump. Produced from about 1910 to about 1916-17, they weren't around long. I've used mine for short range whitetail hunting at 100 yards or less, and have never had any problems with it. Neat little rifle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The most under rated gun I own is my PMR30.I bought it on a whim a just for fun gun,but it has become my favorite ED.I never fill under guned 30 rounds destroys everything I’ve shot with it.Its light and full size.Best deal on a gun ever!

·
Registered
26 Posts
<Flame suit on>I think the taurus pt111 g2 millenium pro is underrated by many since it carries the taurus branding.<flame suit off>

I wish I had more keltecs (plr16, su16c) but I only have a gen1 p3at.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I'll throw in another vote for hi-point. I also have one each of the 9mm pistol and carbine. I have had an experience once with a friend of mines generous gift of 9mm reloads, that I couldn't shoot in any of my guns...except, of course, the hi-points.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Besides the inexpensive Kel-Tecs, the Heritage .22 revolver works well and is inexpensive plinking fun.

Reactions: huffy49

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have a Pitbull in .45 ACP, and it's one my favorites. Love shooting it. However, it had a few quality issues. Most annoyingly, the barrel was unscrewing itself gradually when shooting. It was a long story, but eventually the factory fixed it. They also replaced the crane that I bent by accident. The gun would jam solid if I tightened screws. Eventually I had to shim it, which cured the issue for me, but tsk tsk. Try to machine parts a bit thinner than the frame, guys. The forcing cone came with a good sized stake mark. Overall, I would say it's not underrated... More like, low rated for a good reason. But then again, it does work now.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Besides the inexpensive Kel-Tecs, the Heritage .22 revolver works well and is inexpensive plinking fun.
I really like my Heritage Rough Rider .22 combo, as well. Mine is from before Taurus bought Heritage.

Reactions: huffy49
1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.