Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in buying a RDB; however, it's been brought to my attention that some have had some QC and/or reliably issues. Anyone care to elaborate?

·
Super Moderator
10,101 Posts
The RDB is a new design with some innovative features. There have been some minor issues, but these are usually resolved in the first year or so, and in any case, they're covered under a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser. Most people have reported no problems at all. Mine has been great. Very reliable and no problems. I haven't messed with the gas settings. I cleaned the bore and shot it with a couple of different types of ammo. Not a lot of rounds so far, but it's a great shooting rifle. I'd recommend getting one if you like. I'd buy a new late model version to absolutely ensure the warranty is in effect and to have the latest rolling upgrades.

So, to answer your question... nothing is wrong with my RDB.
:tu:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Last time I was here, I had an issue with mine and here I am again. I just got back from the range and after 50rds, it again no workee. First time I tried shooting it since KelTec returned it and well I am disappointed. I will get with Shaun again and will send it back again.

Didn't disassemble it since I got back about 2 hours ago but thinking maybe a firing pin issue. Tried shooting PMC standard 55gr ammo from 3 Colt 20rd aluminum mags. Fired two mags without issue but got to the third mag and it just won't fire. I can charge it, rack the bolt back and eject the unspent case and bullet but it will not go pow.

I am open to suggestions. The first time it went back to KelTec, it had about 50rds thru it and then it quit cycling and I would get a double feed. There is a thread about it and it was a known issue with some others as well. I wanted to use it for a duty weapon for my job but back to the AR 300BLK Pistol. $450 and it runs like a top.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The RDB is too problematic in its current iteration for duty use, even though it's cool as hell and has that short OAL to it. If you really want a bullpup for a duty weapon I would monitor the Desert Tech MDR platform as it is currently being rolled out. More expensive but I've heard a lot of good things.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Last time I was here, I had an issue with mine and here I am again. I just got back from the range and after 50rds, it again no workee. First time I tried shooting it since KelTec returned it and well I am disappointed. I will get with Shaun again and will send it back again.

Didn't disassemble it since I got back about 2 hours ago but thinking maybe a firing pin issue. Tried shooting PMC standard 55gr ammo from 3 Colt 20rd aluminum mags. Fired two mags without issue but got to the third mag and it just won't fire. I can charge it, rack the bolt back and eject the unspent case and bullet but it will not go pow.

I am open to suggestions. The first time it went back to KelTec, it had about 50rds thru it and then it quit cycling and I would get a double feed. There is a thread about it and it was a known issue with some others as well. I wanted to use it for a duty weapon for my job but back to the AR 300BLK Pistol. $450 and it runs like a top.
Could your problem be safety related?

·
Registered
97 Posts
The RDB is too problematic in its current iteration for duty use, even though it's cool as hell and has that short OAL to it. If you really want a bullpup for a duty weapon I would monitor the Desert Tech MDR platform as it is currently being rolled out. More expensive but I've heard a lot of good things.
MDR may have issues as well. Still way to early to tell, its pretty heavy as well at a little over 8 1/2 pounds. With the sort of price they are asking for it, it better shoot around moa and be reliable as heck if, if not they will lose credibility with folks very quckly especially considering the were borderlining on vapoware status for quite a while.

·
Registered
296 Posts
That is pretty funny. The early versions had a few issues, which have been fixed or mitigated, as do most new platforms. But you won't consider it and then recommend something that you have only heard about, which is a new platform. :eek:

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is pretty funny. The early versions had a few issues, which have been fixed or mitigated, as do most new platforms. But you won't consider it and then recommend something that you have only heard about, which is a new platform. :eek:
First of all I didn't recommend the MDR, I advised that the platform should be monitored during its roll out. Monitored meaning to observe and record its success or failure. The MDR is unproven but the RDB does have a track record as recorded in all the threads in this forum (and other forums) of guide rod breakage, extractor pins walking out, top rail coming loose, terrible accuracy, etc. These aren't early models, these are new RDBs having the same old same old.

Finally, with 22 years in as a LEO I would not carry it as a duty rifle, it is too problematic. If you have a malfunction like a double feed it's damn near impossible to clear without turning the rifle upside down and having a knife or pliers available. If you're lucky, you won't have to disassemble to clear the malfunction. My RDB will shoot a 100 rounds then have one or two failures in a row. I keep it cleaned, lubed, and use name brand mags. My AR15 has NEVER had a failure and I shoot a lot of steel case with that, steel case that I can't shoot in the RDB. I love my RDB but I am not blind to the issues the platform continues to present.

·
Registered
34 Posts
st381, then you are too young to have lived through all of the failures of the AR15 platform when it was rolled out. Issues which have largely been fixed or mitigated. :)
Ok, you win, I bow down to the RDB reputation for perfection it has gained.....Oh wait a minute, it hasn't been out long enough to earn a reputation of reliability, but when it does that will be awesome.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My take is that all newly designed (by newly designed I mean within 5 years of its inception) firearms are likely to have some growing pains. Also, when I say newly designed, I mean something that is not based on the design of a predecessor with largely the same operating mechanisms, which the RDB definitely falls into that category. Its for this reason that I would never want to make it a go to weapon, but nontheless its a very enjoyable platform.

It surprises me that anyone would think to choose an RDB or any newly designed firearm like the MDR for duty use given that there will be be a very short and limited track record to assess dependability and various other factors. Id stick with SCARs, ARs, AKs etc for that type of stuff. From a probability perspective, most of us will only ever need a reliable pistol and a shotgun for possible bad guy encounters. Its only for a complete breakdown/post apocalyptic scenario that a military rifle would be necessary, other than that, its really for the fun of shooting and feeling like a hero at the shooting range (not a real hero, haha!) that I have military grade rifles, and I suspect most fall into that category whether we want to believe it or not. For that primary reason, I put up with the typical QC issues that you get with Keltec. Sort of a trade off, you either take extremely unique and innovative with an occasional QC problem (RDB), or the reliable same ole design that will go bang mostly everytime (AR/AK). I dont need the RDB to be ultra reliable because I will mainly use it for fun at the range, and it fulfills the fun range gun role better than my more traditional ultra reliable weapons.

The way I see Keltec is a company whose firearms are innovative and extremely unique in design. There is bound to be hiccups where that comes from, but without Keltec the firearm world would be alot more mundane. Give the RDB some more years before assessing it for duty use, I am stretching it even when considering it for hog hunting, so Ill bring my SCAR as a backup with me just in case. For now enjoy it as a fun and unique firearm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a OD green RDB and it has been nothing but perfect. The first day at the range I closed the gas and slowly opened it up till it would run like a sewing machine. It has ran perfectly since. Never have I had a ftf, fte, mag problems, double feeds, or anything. It will run any ammo I give it. If I do run the cheap Walmart tule, I open it one extra click for it. I have run my rdb in multiple two gun matches. Even had a old GI mag loaded with m855a1 from a 2014 deployment I found in the back of my closet, loaded it up thinking this will be the time I have a problem (the mag was beat to **** and fully loaded for a couple years). Nope, mag dumped it and it locked back with the last round. Went to a friends house to try his suppressor on it. Amazing rifle to suppress. No gas in the face. With its 17+ inch barrel and downward ejection, it was very pleasant to shoot suppressed. Everyone that try's my rdb is very impressed with its smooth recoil. Often they look at the a2 bird and expecting some large muzzle brake.
I know that people are having some problems with their rdb's. If you get it sorted out, this think is amazing and my go to rifle. I would recommend this to anyone for any situation if they are having to same experience that I am having with mine. Looking forward to the advancements of this amazing rifle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.