Whats the real purpose of the SU-22?

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by David_S, Dec 20, 2009.

1. David_S

David_S New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I'm really curious not just being an *** trying to start trouble  :) The reason I ask is because it seems like a .22 is under powered for a tactical weapon or home defense. I have an old Winchester semi auto that I plink with and used for squirrel hunting when I hunted and it'll hold 15 round of LR ammo. Is it just a cool toy to trick out or does it really have a purpose over the larger calibers other than ammo is cheap?

2. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Don't underestimate cheap ammo! :)

The SU-22 is a great plinker, and I think that may be it's best use. It's also a light weight folding pack gun. It'd be a good survival gun. For short ranges, it'd be a light weight self defense rifle. I'm not sure how people justify "self defense" at 600 yards, most of the time. It's a good training rifle, teaching all of the basic skills without the high cost of centerfire ammo and the noise and recoil that can detract from the learning experience for new shooters. If you have an SU-16 in .223, the SU-16 will allow you to train on the same platform. You could even put a scope on quick release rings and swap it back and forth.

I think the SU-22 is a very practical little rifle.

3. David_S

David_S New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Makes very good sense, thanks for the reply. I guess because I have a semi auto in a different form kind of clouded my reasoning and the appearance of the su-22 kind of made me doubt its true usefulness. I'm new to these types of firearms. I was taught if you couldn't hunt with a gun you didn't need it but that was many years ago when society was a bit more peaceful. I don't underestimate cheap ammo especially if one enjoys shooting. I recently bought a P-3AT and almost wish I would have bought a rim fire when I went out to hunt for .380 ammo!

4. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    My thought is that it's a cool little unique plinker + small game hunter.

5. carmike442

carmike442 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    They're a blast to shoot. ;D

6. David_S

David_S New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Keep it up! I had my mind set on a sub-2k so I could take it and the glock 17 out together and share ammo and mags. Recently my S.O. has expressed an interest in learning to shoot so a small .22 hand gun is in the future. I suppose I could tell her she would be much better off shooting a rifle such as the su-22 a few times and then moving to the hand gun since my winchester is pretty well worn and she doesn't even know it's a .22. She may just bite especially if i tell her about the $$ saved on ammo since we already have about 500 rounds of .22 LR ;D

7. mkamer

mkamer New Member

May 19, 2005
    David S - these people are not giving you the real purpose of the SU-22 - tactical defense against very small zombies.  ;D

The SU-22 is a great gun.  I've shot Liberty4Ever's and it's awesome.

8. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    very small squirrel like zombies. the squirrel zombie apocolypse is coming.

9. shep854

shep854 Active Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    In a word, FUN! :D

Yep, it's a WAAAY cool toy! :cool:

On a more serious note, I second L4E's comment; it makes a great "understudy" rifle for an SU16 that's much less expensive to shoot

10. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    I bought a Colt AR 22 for the same reason I will get a SU 22. range fun. Shoot lots for less $. I got the Colt 1st because I found one local before I found a SU 22 ,but I will get the SU 22 (already got the SU 16 , Sub 9,P11, .............. ;))

11. sisig

sisig New Member

Sep 18, 2009
    anytime you purchase anything you always think of its purpose,use, etc.whether it be a car, tool or in this case firearm .most of us have firearms and have weighed out it's purpose.for example, my first purchase was a sig p226 for home defense.2nd was my gsg-5,plinking purposes,something me and my famliy can have fun with.3rd an su16ca for multipurpose=fun ,shooting,WROL,SHTF.i personally got the gsg-5 22lr for fun.yet i don't take a 22lr lightly.my daughter loves this gun.and i use it to teach her on handling firearms.a good start for learning purposes.the 223. is a bit much for a child.wouldn't you agree.

12. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    the su-22 is meant for tiny zombies.

;D

13. Southeast_Offroad

Southeast_Offroad New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Would this make a great rabbit/squirrel plinker for my son?

14. Whodat

Whodat New Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Yes sir.

15. LS240

LS240 New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    With the cost of ammo as it is, you could recoup your investment into the SU22 in terms of money saved in no time at all.

16. Oleg_Volk

Oleg_Volk New Member

Mar 5, 2009
  17. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I pay a little over three cents a round for ammo in 550 round bulk packs and they shoot very well in the SU-22.

I guess you were aiming at a future market so the image doesn't become outdated soon as ammo prices keep rising. Rising ammo cost is the reason I have a lot of .22 LR ammo in The Stash.

18. Oleg_Volk

Oleg_Volk New Member

Mar 5, 2009
    I specified decent brass-cased 223 FMJ and 22LR Mini-mags.

19. buffetdestroyer

buffetdestroyer New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    If you were stuck in the hills, the .22 could put food on your table and it is a lot easier to carry 500 rounds of .22 than 500 rounds of .223!

:cool:It also makes spinner targets spin! :cool:

20. amaff

amaff New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    I think Oleg should use that for one of his posters.

The SU-22. It makes spinner targets spin.