Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
virtual-rjhauser said:
hell, even a pipe cutter is better than a dremel.
Don't know RJ, haven't had much luck polishing my feed ramp with the pipecutter.   :-/

;)   ;D

Seriously, if one DOES use a pipe cutter for shortening a shotgun barrel (don't think it will work on a rifle barrel) back off on the pressure on the cutting wheel.  High pressure cuts faster but it tends to deform the tube and actually make it smaller inside at the cut point than the original inside diameter.  Real PITA at that point.

Feel free to ask me how I know.   :D

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Scratch one off the list and add another:

Izhmash Biathlon Basic .22LR rifle Purchased

Taurus Tracker in .357 with 6.5" vent ribbed barrel

Beretta 90-Two or 92... haven't decided

Taurus 980 revolver in .22LR with 12" barrel, just because :D

1903... some day

CZ 452 Ultra Lux -- might even move that to number 2 on the list.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
FWIW, I just bought one I didn't plan on and that isn't on my list earlier in this thread...  :p

I bought back a rifle that I sold to a friend a couple of years ago, a very beautiful and very accurate SAKO Forester in .243.  I always loved the rifle but not that particular caliber.  In consolidating both platforms and calibers in recent years I sold it to my best shooting/hunting buddy.  He and I have a long-standing "gentleman's agreement" to give each other the right of first refusal on any firearm we are parting with that we bought from the other, and I just couldn't let this one "out of the family."  ;)

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
virtual-rjhauser said:
suggestion on the #4 to #5 carbine conversion, follow the measurements that are out there exactly, and make the cut clean. invest in good cutting tools, do NOT use the dremel as the person in the online demonstration did.

hell, even a pipe cutter is better than a dremel.
Thanks...I planned to use a pipe cutter to score the finish and make a clean line around the barrel, and then use (gasp) a hack saw. Slow and steady, and probably not the cleanest cut, I admit. After its done, a file to smooth the face and outer edges, and a conical dremel bit to manually (without an actual dremel) smooth the inside of the barrel. It doesn't have to be beautiful, because it will all be obscured with the flash hider any way. Just has to be functional!

What online demonstration are you referring to?

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Syndil said:
That sure is some purdy wood Hardshell!
You ought to see it in person -- I lean more toward the EBRs than to wood and blued steel, but that is one of the prettiest rifles/stocks I've ever owned.  I don't really want that to matter to me, but in this case it somehow does...  :-/

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
There is just something about warm wood tones & cold blue steel............

·
Super Moderator
10,053 Posts

·
Registered
14,984 Posts
my tool of choice:

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Ridgid-32850-Heavy-Duty-Pipe-Cutter-6-S-4-6/64462/Cat/1010

wrong one, too MANY links in my bookmarks. that is the one I am using on my radiators.....hot water heat sucks.

and somewhere, once I find it, there is a step by step outline for the conversion, with how much to cut and where....

i am trying to find it, someone here sent it to me....

not sure where I book marked it though

G

·
HardShell said:
FWIW, I just bought one I didn't plan on and that isn't on my list earlier in this thread...  :p

I bought back a rifle that I sold to a friend a couple of years ago, a very beautiful and very accurate SAKO Forester in .243.  I always loved the rifle but not that particular caliber.  In consolidating both platforms and calibers in recent years I sold it to my best shooting/hunting buddy.  He and I have a long-standing "gentleman's agreement" to give each other the right of first refusal on any firearm we are parting with that we bought from the other, and I just couldn't let this one "out of the family."  ;)

Back in my gun dealing days if you owned a Sako, u were king of the roost. That is just one super nice rifle. Years ago, most probably have never seen one, I owned a Marlin model 322, It was a 222 built on a Sako action with a heavy barrel and excellent walnut stock, Oh my what a beautiful and super accurate rifle it was. The Sako action was just as smooth as glass. The only problem with that model back then was Marlin guns all had that Micro groove rifling in them and in the 222, the barrel life was around 2500 accurate rounds, then it tended to drift off some. but MOA was right out of the box. If my mind serves me right it sold for alittle over $100. course that was over 45 years ago--at least..

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I need to quit reading the what is next list.....my list keeps growing!

I want: Sig 5.56 Swat, Marlin  in either 45-70, .444, or .450  not sure which yet, I would not mind a couple Enfields just for fun, and I still want a Ruger No1 in something fun that I dont have caliber....have to think about that one. I guess that will do for starters. Oh and a tricked out Ruger 10-22

a never satisfied
Atlasx :-/ ::) ;D ;)

·
Registered
14,984 Posts
unfortunately, the 10/22 thing never gets old. no matter how many bob gets, we just have way too much fun with them....

and now his girlfriend is customizing one (yes, it will be a kalishna-kitty pink rifle)......

what have I done.....
;D

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
atlasx said:
I need to quit reading the what is next list.....my list keeps growing!
I'm with you there brother!

I should stop, but it's harder than quitting smoking!

God Bless,
Doc S :-?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Aftwer spending 3 days at the SHOT show, my NEXT list is all jumbled, crowded and confussssed.....This could take awhile. Good thing the shop is very busy.....
Danny

·
Registered
14,984 Posts
atlasx said:
:) RJ I think you have created some interested young people gun monsters!!! It sounds like fun! Keep up the good work!
we were at the store, with her dad (ex-marine DI...yeah, never an EX marine, anyways)....this is the girl who was so afraid of rifles until she went with us....

she looked at her dad, thought the 10/22 was "neat" and wanted it. but in PINK. well, we settled on the 10/22, and then ordered the stock, and all the other parts from hawktech arms....

and then...started taking parts to the local shop I use for coloring....now to assemble it when her package arrives.

makes her dad happy anyways.....i know i would if my kids were living through someone elses checkbook...

;D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm actually a "newbie". That is, I got my LTC and first gun on the same day last August. Since then, I've added 9 guns to my arsenal. (I'm definitely "hooked on guns"!) So, yesterday, I went to the range, and I brought three of my own 9mm handguns and decided to try, for the first time, their arsenal's 1911's. Well, I tried the Ruger SR1911 CMD in 9mm, and I couldn't believe it. I was placing every shot perfectly at (only) 20 feet, but it was so easy to shoot and shoot accurately, that I'm now looking for that gun. Unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere, but the search continues.
Other than that gun, I suppose I'd like a Sig-P226 Legion.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Gave me the opportunity to replace a missing pic & remember a few folks.

On topic, H&R Model 504. ;)

Reactions: tzcomp
101 - 120 of 132 Posts