Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

What's Next?

2K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  HardShell 
#1 ·
Love my P-11. Can't get over it, every week I pull it apart and see something that can be further polished, something that can be smoothed out, something that can be meticulously cleaned with isopropyl alcohol, reoiled, and refitted.

It is not a range only weapon, it is my carry weapon and should I have to use it (really never want to) I will, I'm super proficient and very confident in my ability to safely engage, and stop a serious threat of serious bodily injury or death.

I have come to the realization with the aid of a nice records review that I am utterly useless with rifles versus pistols.

Pistol/Rifle NAVY 15May2010
Sharpshooter/Marksman

Pistol/Rifle ARMY 20Oct2011
Expert (Army equivalent to Navy term)/Marksman (Army Equivalent to Navy term)

So my "just one more" sense is tingling and I feel like I need either a pistol, or carbine.

My requirements are almost impossible to fill as per usual.

Affordable, reliable, fun, AVAILABLE, Carry-able (NOT A NEEDED REQUIREMENT, but nice)

I want to stay Sub $400.00 if at all possible, with all FFL fees, taxes and perhaps shipping.

Please help me filter my search. No single weapons website will give me the vast knowledge that is available in this forum. I get along with you guys, none of you are brand whores (except for KT) you've all shown an open mind in your decision to buy a polymer pistol that isn't a Glock, or made by Belgium Chocolate factories, cleaned with 900 year old wine, and delicately kissed by supermodels before being greased and thrown in the box for shipping. You're down to Earth, and I appreciate that.

Pics for clicks!

Bought this sweater yesterday.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Hey Mahoney, this is a good topic for discussion in the Other Guns area. You will probably get a few more suggestions there. Don't be afraid to wander outside the P-11 area. ;-)
Roger Roger, Mods'll probably move it.

I got the shirt at Sportco.

I'd LOVE to get a Sub2k, but they seem to be sold out in 9mm everywhere! Or at least at the $400.00 mark before shipping/ffl, am I wrong?

#6 ·
I am a little lost on what you are looking for pistol or rifle?

If you are looking for a Carbine in 9mm I would suggest taking a look at the Hi-Point Carbines. I hear nothing but great things about them and the one that I shot was impressive for the money. They also sell some nice aftermarket stocks for them to improve the looks. Their pistols aren't bad either but aren't up to par with Kel-Tec pistols in my book.

#8 ·
Hi-point carbines work every time accurate and LOW $$$,that said I see they are starting to rise in price,good luck.
Local gun shop has 2 for $239.00 w/ 3 mags. Oh you people are pushing my patience limit. I have to get a rebalanced budget before I can make a decision but a high opinion on the Hi-Point (pun totally intended) is a step in the right direction.

To further clarify, rifle, carbine, pistol. Something "range-y"

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
LGS has a Sig 2022 9mm for $399.00 + 5% off for military. They are always this price as I was assured by one of the shift leaders.

Also has SAIGAs in everything from .223 (which are $600.00....) to 7.62x39 (which are only $400.00...) to .410g ($320? WOW MAN!?)

Durn ARs jacking up the price of everything chambered in .223.

I might go with one of those when the time comes.

#12 ·
Handguns under $400 out-the-door are not that hard to find, but your choices in rifles will be limited unless you're open to rimfires (but inexpensive centerfires are out there). I would recommend looking at the used market to give you more choices. You haven't said enough about what you actually want for us to make any suggestions. I can't even tell if you're looking for a handgun or a rifle, let alone what action type. If you're looking for just cheap fun in centerfire rifle, a Mosin 91/30 would be great. Or a Mauser M48. Both of these are mil-surp rifles. But I have no idea if that's the kind of suggestion you're looking for. You can't go wrong with a Henry lever action .22 rifle either. Or a Makarov pistol. Or a Ruger Blackhawk revolver (probably used, to fit your target price). Without knowing what type of firearm flips your switch, recommendations like I've given above may be a total waste of time.

#13 ·
Please see below from our forum rules. Please keep it clean. We like to promote polite information exchange, and foul language - even in the form of acronyms - does not help. Just a polite reminder if you were not aware. As for the 2 negative comments referencing the Hi-point Carbine? Opinions vary. But it has been my experience that the only ones who generally talk them down also generally admit to never having fired one. While I find them too large and heavy to be a good CCW choice, I also think they are reliable, accurate, simple guns. And one of the best kept secrets in the firearms industry because gun snobs won't even deign to try them due of their looks. They are intended for a small niche market, and they are very good at the intended purpose of their design.

II. KEEP IT CLEAN: Foul language generally insults the user's own intelligence more than it insults anyone else. Disagreement is fine, as long as it remains respectful of the rest of the membership. KTOG members come from a variety of backgrounds with varying standards for language and behavior. While other forums may allow considerable latitude in word choice, we do not strive to be “other forums”. Our standards are established so that no one here should feel offended or be uncomfortable with someone else’s language. If you wouldn’t say something in front of your mother or your children, don’t say it here.

#15 ·
For a range gun i'd get a full size 9mm pistol, Them rugers can be had for $300

For a carbine i'd get a ar, kits are $4-500 and lowers can be found for around $100

For a really fun shootable range toy i get a 22 rifle and pistol
Everyone keeps telling me I can build an Ar for around $500.00, except I haven't seen a single kit + lower for under $650+shipping/FFL. DPMS has completes for $600.00 or so I hear.

I'm looking for an autoloading, close to mid range rifle or pistol.

I seem to be very useless with full sized rifles.

#16 · (Edited)
#17 ·
I'll toss my vote in for a Ruger P-Series of any flavor (P90, P89, P95, P345, etc.), or a S&W Sigma in 9mm or .40 S&W - both reliable platforms, pleasant to shoot at the range, USA-made, affordable, and very carry-able (with a good holster).

Another option would be a used SR9 or SR9C, as I've seen them go for just under $400 in good shape locally. Only things I don't really care for on those are the manual safety levers (totally redundant considering the Glock-like trigger) and the magazine disconnect safety (easily removed, but annoying that it's there), but otherwise they're quite reliable, accurate, great shooters, and easily carried.

#19 ·
I just can't get over how ugly and awkward the Hi-Point is. Every Hi-Point I've ever seen was such low quality that I wouldn't want to throw any money at one.
+1 from me...I can't get past how fugly they are, much less shoot one.

You mean like mine.
.45 acp, fun, fun ,fun.

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Assault rifle

BTW, they're made like a tank and are accurate, and are very inexpensive to purchase, never fail to go bang when you pull the trigger, lifetime warranty, which IF theres a problem, most often they just give you a new one.

Hard to beat for $269.00

Jim

Attachments

#20 ·
http://akpartskits.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_16&products_id=284

This is the one i got, bought it before i read about them on the net. It works good. I've changed out the trigger group, gas rings, and had to restake the key. It lookes just like the last one i bought, i trust it 100% Even when i found the key was loose it was while cleaning, the rifle had ran at the range.

Mine is the a3 flat top.
This might just be the ticket!

Question, do I need to purchase an A2 lower if I have an A2 upper?

I vaguely recall my issued weapon being A2/A4 and being suuuuper flimsy between the two, granted they were mfg by different companies, perhaps the FC group was swapped, anyway it looked like our full auto m16s we get in the Navy, only it was downgraded (my opinion) to 3 shot burst in the Army.

#21 ·
... As for the 2 negative comments referencing the Hi-point Carbine? Opinions vary. But it has been my experience that the only ones who generally talk them down also generally admit to never having fired one...
Well, not the ONLY ones. ;)

I owned two, and they were robust and utterly reliable... but I don't like them and I don't recommend them because of the proprietary, limited-capacity magazines. (I also think they are ugly as homemade sin and couldn't get past that, personally, but I would never refrain from recommending something because of a criteria so subjective.)

If they would just offer them compatible with a common, affordable hi-cap mag design they coud sell twice as many as they do now, and at a higher price point. JMHO.

All of that said, I would recommend one (and have) to someone on a very limited budget who I knew wouldn't practice much (if at all) and was looking for a dedicated HD gun. In that role, in inexperienced hands, it would likely be more effective than anything else in its price class.

So maybe technically I don't "talk them down" but I have owned/shot them and still don't like them. ;)

#23 ·
If you want a budget gun, I strongly recommend getting a quality used gun or a milsurp. Most used guns are in great shape, and milsurp guns are very rugged, usually reliable, and shoot milsurp ammo which is cheap.

I feel you can get a lot more out of your money this way than trying to figure out which of the budget guns are actually reliable and decently well made.

A used gun that is still being sold (for example, a used glock 19) can be as low as 1/2 price if it has a little cosmetic damage, it isnt hard to find a $500 gun for $350 or so used if it has a few dings or holster wear. Milsurp rifles and pistols hover around $200 or even just a little lower at the entry levels, and quite a lot of gun can be had for $300-350.

#25 ·
For fun at the range, a .22lr rifle cannot be beat. There is no ammo cheaper. My favorite of the type is the Ruger 10/22. If you like to tinker and modify, it is the one to get.
Couldn't agree more. There's a reason (besides my natural compulsiveness :eek:) that I have so many of the doggone things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.