Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As gun owners do we go shooting just 2 train for shootouts or is it for the feel of recoil of our firearms. Are we maintaining skills or is it a good mental feeling? What's your answers?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I like gadgets. Figuring out what makes 'em work. Metal. Oil. Stuff.

Plus, it is mentally theraputic. It requires absolute focus to do. You cannot shoot if you are distracted. So it helps me leave behind all the stresses of life, work, etc. and let them go for a little while.

Someone also told me once, that shooting taught him to commit. Not in the marrying way. But once you make the shot, it's done. You can evaluate it and take a lesson learned, but you can't undo it. Again, the process of learning to let go of things after you can't control them any longer. Focus on the next shot.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
The infinite challenge. With the same .22 I can focus on getting one hole with 5 rounds or i can chase tin cans and golf ball around the range all afternoon. Learned to shoot as a kid at scout camp and it has been a great hobby and a valued skill during my army days. Even with only once a month range trips I still find that shooting is my primary hobby.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
it is just fun really. I am ready and willing to try to defend myself, but that is, in reality, an unlikely event. 12+ years of hauling a gun around and I have yet to draw it. It could happen, but I would be just as happy to continue the trend.

I enjoy marksmanship, trying to improve a little as I can. I enjoy making some noise with the big stuff now and then. I like the feeling of empowerment that if something happens, win or lose, live or die, I can at least go down fighting if I so choose. But mostly, its the improvement and marksmanship, which for me is one of the best ways to practice that elusive skill of emptying your mind of distractions, which I find useful at work or any time I need to figure something out.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Whats men/women obession w/guns ... As gun owners do we go shooting just 2 train for shootouts...
Throwing in the words "As gun owners..." does nothing to make this sound any less than a Brady Bunch troll question. Do you have an agenda with this?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Point blank (parden the obvious pun), I shoot and train so that I have the necessary skill to use that piece of steel without failure, should the occasion arise. Like an important final exam in school, if you don't study, and practice until you're sure of your answers, then you risk less-than-satisfactory results.

If it comes down to that big test, I wish to pass with flying colors.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I like the purchase!!!! Like shooting, Like the noise, like the recoil!!! Like the smell!!! Well i just like everything about them!!!

I mostly got my cc so i did'nt have to worry about driving out to shoot with my pistols. Never know when you might forget to unload one!!!

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
Same reason I do martial arts. It's fun. It's challenging. And I can justify my entertainment as "self defense training."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Why do I play piano? Read books? Go hiking? It's not because I'm training for something, as you ominously imply. It's because it's fun.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Why do I shoot? I like to eat.
Growing up, the Saturday Night Possum shoot at the dump was where we got Sunday Dinner.
Mmmm..... Possum!! Yum! :D ;)

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Some people like throwing darts at targets designed for the purpose. So do I - except my 'darts' are generally made of lead, possibly combined with other metals, and are thrown down a metal barrel at high rates of speed by exploding gunpowder. I have hunted off and on for most of my life and will continue to do so but I am honestly not very good at it. I carry a firearm where and when legal, would use it to defend myself and my loved ones if necessary, am glad it is there if I need it and will avoid (as much as reasonably possible) patronizing businesses that wish to strip me of that ability while on their premises by posting 'no guns' signs. However, putting holes in those little, circular lines and black spots is just plain fun. Doing so with different firearms is even more fun. Think of it this way: could bowling help develop skills that could save your life? Could billiards? How about playing checkers? All are fun, no doubt, but firearms are equally as fun and can also help develop skills that might save your life.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Never really thought about my "obsession" with guns/women. I began shooting before I began "obessing" women. I spent many an hour in the gully behind the orchard, shooting my .22 at playing cards, cans, and many other inantimite objects. Hunting and shooting was just going out the back door and starting in. I don't "obsess" about women as much as I once did, but I still enjoy shooting. Going shooting is more difficult now that I live in the city. Folks would complain if I went out back and shot. Just a lot of fun, and could come in handy some day.

Life is short, be happy
Jack

·
Registered
5,203 Posts

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
We're supposed to shoot'em? Someday if I'm lucky I'll get to feel the recoil using my training to pick off an OWS'er throwing bricks at me from a 2-3 story building and if my aim is true, the good mental feeling will wash over me like a warm summers rain. Or maybe I just luv's the smell of gunpowder.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I wouldn't call it an obsession or anything drastic like that... I just like the way they feel in my hands, and all the things you can do with one. The curves that lead into smooth edges of their outer form really do it for me. There's a challenge to finding out which ones work better with little or lots of lubrication that I can't resist. It's fun just to take them out and see what they will do too.

Oh, guns, well I like just about everything about them too. ;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts