What's happened to Kel Tec's service?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Mohave-Tec, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Kel Tec is WAS famous for legendary service but 2 weeks ago when I called them about my P3AT the first time, they told me the exact same thing they told me a few minutes ago. "They are running at about 8 weeks right now and telling from the time yours came in (it was 6 weeks exactly at the time since they received it) they should be working on it right now." The web site says 4 to 6 weeks so I called them 7.5 weeks after I sent it and again today, 9.5 weeks after I sent it. They told me exactly the same thing so now Kel Tec has learned to be just like other modern businesses and just brushes their customers off. Bloody damned shame. I'm trying so hard to continue to beleive in the American work ethic and in American made products. Kel Tec was one of the last on the list but it seems they have fallen too. What an absolute shame.

2. Alton

Alton New Member

Jun 17, 2006
      I feel Your pain; it's been 8 weeks today that I sent my P3AT in :[

3. CDW4ME

CDW4ME New Member

Apr 6, 2009
    USA
    I sent in my P3AT slide and recoil spring assembly for replacement; I was notified by e-mail that it would take 6 weeks.
    Thank goodness I've got another one. ;)
    I would be leery to purchase another pistol, like the PF9 for example, knowing it could be gone for about 2 months if I had a problem with it.

4. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    I have other pistols but that is the only one that even seems to make it into my pocket. That's OK though, other micro 380s are coming up and I've got plenty of rounds for them.

5. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Have any of you sent a pistol to S&W for warranty work? Or Sig? Or Taurus?

8 weeks is good. Relax. :)

6. litenlarry

litenlarry Member

Sep 4, 2007
    MO, south of KC..
    It is aggrivating to loose your favorite carry weapon for any length of time..Always have something on hand that can step up and fill the void.. ::)

[​IMG]

7. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    not to brag. kahr was 4 days, s&w was 2 weeks

taurus was 14 weeks....

EAA was 7 months

8. [​IMG]

I like the Dan Wesson Larry.

Oh wait- this is about KT Service- eh...... good luck. I have only had positive interactions with KT service, but I have never had to send them an entire gun. Just the slide, and then I was able to get one sent to me BEFORE I sent them mine.

9. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Not good in any business.

10. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    It is what it is.  There are still makers who do worse - sometimes much worse.  It is not hard to find reports of folks waitng several months for warranty work from other makers.  I posted a few quotes from other forums just the other day that included guns taking as long as 6 months.  It is all too common.  

In earlier years, Kel-tec turned usually turned stuff around in under 4 weeks - sometimes half that.  Obviously, their increased sales over recent years has changed that.  About 2 years back we saw those quick turnaround go to over a month and sometimes 6 to 8 weeks, especially at critical times like after the holidays and the SHOT Show.  They still sometimes get pretty fast turnarounds.  It obviously depends on conditions when your gun gets sent in.  From what I have seen around ktog, it is primarily the PF9 and P3AT service that is backed up.  Of course those are the products with the very high production rates and the more guns that are sold, the more there are that will need service.  Folks are still getting other guns back pretty quickly and sometimes these pistols still get retuned fairly quickly - sometimes not.  

FWIW, complaining here is not going to change anything.  What needs to happen is folks need to complaint to Kel-tec, and not just to whoever answers the phone.  I don't remember who he is, but several months back, their apparently newly hired marketing guy registered and posted here in a thread about the Commemerative Edition P3AT.  Perhaps he would be someone good to track down and communicate with.  Also, I believe the service department manager is still a guy named Rick.  These are the people who need to hear your concerns.  I assume that they are aware of the time delay issues in the service department and hopefully they have plans to work on it.  However, it never hurts to let them hear from you.  If they get enough feedback, perhaps they will do whatever it takes to step up their turnaround times.  

11. litenlarry

litenlarry Member

Sep 4, 2007
    MO, south of KC..
    Thank you , one of my fav's... :)

12. P-Denny

P-Denny Member

Nov 15, 2005
    I appreciate people sharing their current turnaround experiences. Yesterday was 9 weeks for me, and since I was told 6-8 weeks I've been eagerly racing home from work every day to see if it's here yet. Now I know to back off on my expectations for a while.
    Denny

13. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Kel Tec has heard from me.
    Think I'll just see what the turn around is on the new Ruger and get one of those instead.

14. Toforo

Toforo New Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Columbia, MO
    If I remember correctly, the turn-around time during the last Ruger LCP .380 product recall ranged anywhere from the promised 10 days to about 90 days

(just make sure your new LCP has a that little "diamond" stamped at the bottom of the hammer channel in the frame, that means it has already been retrofitted and updated and shouldn't "go-off" accidentally)

see pic of "diamond" here http://www.ruger.com/LCPRecall/

15. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

Surely KT is aware of the problem. I happen to be one who thinks it is poor business to consistently run weeks behind. The work isn't going to go away. When I become king of the world ;D all gun companys will get caught up and then stay that way or the CEO will be flogged.

16. menocu

menocu New Member

Aug 31, 2006

Last month, my pistol was picked up from my door the day I called S&W and it was back at my door, fixed, in under a week on S&W's dime.

Point taken, but maybe not the best example..

How many of you folks waiting 8+ weeks for KT to fix your stuff have chromed parts that may need replacing? Just curious if that might have anything to do with the delay or not.

17. MirageES

MirageES New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    The new models (371-XXXXX and higher numbers) don't have the problem (the design was corrected) and therefore don't have the diamond stamp on them. I saw several at the 'show yesterday and none of them had the stamp (all were 372-XXXXX and higher)

--MirageES

18. rhinokrk

rhinokrk New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Good luck, and bye bye. That's makes me smile. Another used KT for cheap, from someone buying a better pistol. ;D

19. P-Denny

P-Denny Member

Nov 15, 2005
    I got home from work tonight, and there waiting for me was the envelope from UPS! After trying to fix my P3AT myself for over a month, I'd sent it back to Kel-Tec over nine weeks ago and was eager to get my hands on it again. I ripped the bag open, took the gun out of the box, went to the garage and grabbed a snap cap, stuck it in, pulled the trigger, and.......SHUCKS!!!!! The problem's still there! The hammer hangs up almost every time I pull the trigger! To be honest, I'm not surprised. The same thing happened the last time I couldn't fix it and sent it in. I got it back just as broke as it was when I sent it. I'll call them tomorrow, and if things go as they did before, they'll have me ship it back, to the attention of somebody important, and someone will actually fix it this time and send it back to me, hopefully with a little quicker turnaround.

Good help must be hard to find down there.

Denny

20. Hannibal_Lecter

Hannibal_Lecter New Member

Apr 8, 2010
    My Dear Friends,

I am apparently the exception to the rule: I sent my P3AT slide back to KelTec for the typical battering issue around the guide rod hole.

The slide was mailed from West Virginia to Florida 04/14/2010 via USPS Priority Mail Service.  The USPS site showed that it arrived at Kel-Tec on Friday the 16th.  The following Monday (the 19th) I received an email notification from Kel-Tec that they were in receipt of the slide and I would be updated when repairs were complete.

I received an email yesterday that the replacement slide was en route to me UPS Second Day Air; the UPS site shows arrival at our distribution center this morning and that it should actually be delivered today (the 22nd).

I grant that this was technically a parts replacement rather than a 'repair' but I am impressed thus far.  I truly hope this is a sign of positive changes in their Warranty and Repair Department.

----------
    Hannibal