What's a good IWB holster for the P-3AT?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Zell, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Zell

Zell New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    I don't necessarily need leather nor do I want an expensive or bulky rig. Just something that works well as a slim IWB holster.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

2. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas

3. eduk8tor

eduk8tor New Member

Feb 10, 2008
  4. Zell

Zell New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Hey, thank you all. I appreciate it.

5. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    +1 on the Uncle Mikes. I have two of them and they work great.

6. moparrman74

moparrman74 New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    I looked at the uncle mikes, but ended up with a leather Don Hume from the local shop for around $26.

Really love it, but as others said the uncle mikes is nice as well

7. AirMech74

AirMech74 New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    There is one other brand that you might consider... Crossbreed Holsters.  I have one for my S&W snubby and I had one for a Sig when I owned one, it is the most comfortable IWB holster i've owned.  They have a few different styles and they come with a lifetime warranty, also the customer service is top notch.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com

*I contacated crossbreed and at the moment, they do not make a holster for the P3AT*

8. theheater905

theheater905 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Hey Zell,
    High Noon Holsters has a good number of IWB if you want to take a look. They offer with leather belt loops or clips and you have a choice of straight or 15 degree FBI foward cant. I have not ordered yet but was considering it so I have no experience with using one. If your order it there is about a 4 month wait.
    http://www.highnoonholsters.com

9. theheater905

theheater905 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Zell,
    There is one other alternative I did not see mentioned. KT makes a belt clip for the P3AT. I tried it and it worked well. I think they had a price increase so its somewhere around $11.00. They come in Blue or Stainless.

10. theheater905

theheater905 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Zell,
    If you go to the Board Thread scroll down to the topic on P3AT Mods. There is a picture of a P3 with a belt clip.

11. dishman

dishman New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    Which size Uncle Mike's do you have for the P3-AT? I have the size 36 and it's a bit large.

12. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Just be aware that many folks feel that the belt clip is not a replacement for a holster, that it still needs a pocket holster around it.  Using the belt clip alone does not, in many's opinions, protect the trigger sufficiently.

I have a beautful mini-defender from K&D and I think it the best holster out there for IWB.  But I rarely use it as the P3AT is small enough that you have some much easier to conceal, easier access choices.  Here is a comparison of the "quality" of the design of the K&D v. a High Noon (there is no comparison in the quality of the leather or workmanship - the K&D kicks butt!)  As close as I can, the same pressure is being applied to both retaining tabs.  I have personally noticed that this makes a HUGE difference when drawing:
    [​IMG]

-Scott

13. theheater905

theheater905 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Thanks for mentioning the quality issue between K & D vs the High Noon. Time to look a bit closer and possibly re think what I will order. You also brought up another good point about the trigger protection with a belt clip or rather lack of it. Thanks

14. KS.G36

KS.G36 Guest

This pocket holster works for me. It is about as thin as practical to be able to screen the pistol outline when worn flat side outward. Unfortunately, the back pocket of Wranglers jeans is a liitle short of being deep enough to conceal the P3AT in a pocket rig.

http://www.activeprogear.com/wallet_holster.html

15. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  16. eduk8tor

eduk8tor New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    It's a Sidekick, size 10, fits perfect, think it cost about $10 from a local Sportsman Warehouse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. moparrman74

moparrman74 New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    For IWB my leather Don Hume works well, but I was considering getting a kydex hoster instead. The kydex is much thinner, easier to conceal, and does not let moisture in or irritate skin when you sweat.

For illustration, I carry a compact 1911 most days in a FIST kydex IWB at 3 oclock and its invisible.

Today I actually put the 1911 in its kydex holster next to my P3AT in its leather holster, and they where exactly the same thickness!

So has anyone used a kydex IWB for the P3 and if so what kind?

18. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I always recommend the work done by Jose at www.jmgholsters.com. The IWB-5 series is very simple, very thin and well made. It is also very reasonably priced ($17), especially for a hand-made to order genuine leather holster. He has other styles as well , but the IWB-5 is so thin that it is easily stowed away. I have one for all of my handguns. If you are new to concealed carry (CC), I would especially recommend them. When new to CC, anything IWB feels so unnatural, so any decrease in the thickness associated with your holster and weapon is a welcome bonus, IMHO.

For a few dollars more, ask Jose to make you a spare magazine pouch leaving off the belt clip. This way you can stow your metal magazine in the same pocket as coins or keys and not worry about any clinking or scratching. Fantastic!

Aside from that, the Uncle Mike's size 10 is a good, tight fit, is cheap ($15 or less) and is probably available at your local gun store.

19. TX380

TX380 New Member

Jan 26, 2008
    I have a holster made by GunMate (one web page I found says they are made by the same company that makes the Uncle Mike's). It cost about $10 at the local shop and has a metal clip that is very tight and hard to get into position - which is good, because it stays where you put it. It is a size 00, but I found that some 00 will fit and some won't, so you'll have to test fit before you buy. As for the Uncle Mike's, I have one for my P-11, but I don't like the (seems to me) flimsy plastic clip. Doesn't stay in place like the metal clip. It also puts the grip too high for me, I prefer something that rides much lower. I also tried a wallet holster and pocket holster for the P3AT, but neither works for me as well as the IWB. Just my $0.02.