Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

What will you feed your KSG for HD or SHTF?

• birdshot

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • buckshot

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • foster slug

• steel slug

• expanding slug

Votes: 5 31.3%

What will you feed your KSG?

4K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  ksgsk 
#1 ·
My 12 Gauge HD/SHTF diet
Remington Ultimate Defense #4 buck (in Tube 1)
Federal Tactical 00 flight control 9 pellet (In Tube 2)
Federal Tactical slugs truball and hollow point (outdoor use or accuracy needed)
Ddupleks Monolit and Hexolit (specialty loads to stop a car, a bear or need extra penetration)

#4 ·
This is much less complicated than people would like to make it.
HD=7-yards (21 feet) Livingroom.
OObuckshot will work just fine. As @CharlieB stated, the dead guys don't get to vote.
Even at 25 yards, I can testify to it's lethality (a 200lb deer is not that different than a 200lb man). One shot will do.

Any threat further than 25 yards, you should be picking up your RFB instead.
You know, the one with the 250mw green laser you put on to light'em up.:D

#5 ·
For " Dangerous game defense " in the field -- 1 tube- Black Magic Mag slugs ( they seem to be the most powerful that I've found )
2nd tube -- Magnum Buckshot and Monolite Steel slugs.
For Home defense -- 1 tube- mini buckshot. 2nd tube- mini slugs.
And for the bad a** Ninja squirrels-- #6,7, or 8 shot.
If anyone knows of more powerful slugs than the Black Magic, I would like to know.
Large bears need more stopping power.

#6 ·
Home invaders will often win stupid prizes. They just won’t know what kind they will receive. Blake says One shot will do but why not give a second prize for good measure.

I have been looking for the unicorn buckshot #1 federal tactical for a few years and just came across some recently. I will replace the Ultimate Defense 4 buck with the 1 buck for maximum home invader stopping power while controlling over penetration.

Are you guys concerned about 00 blowing through the walls to the neighbor’s house?

#9 ·
You have to always be aware that there is always a chance of a stray bullet or pellet going where you don't intend it to and harming a neighbor.

You're legally responsible and law suit responsible for any innocent person getting harmed, no matter how justified shooting is.

"Most" buckshot will not pass through your house walls and into a neighbors home, but it can happen especially with 00.
You just have to understand that you ARE responsible for every bullet or pellet and do what you can to limit collateral damage.

Remington makes most of their Police shotguns with Improved Cylinder chokes for "Better pellet accountability".
Just as the police are responsible for shots fired, so are citizens.

What you have to do is a Real World threat assessment on your living arrangements and the most likely threat you may face, and load your weapon with that in mind.
Inside a home or apartment 00 buckshot or slugs may not be the best choice.

If you live in an apartment with typical thin walls, or with close neighbor houses you need to think hard about ammo choices.
You ARE legally responsible for every bullet or pellet.

#12 ·
Before I started flying for a living I was an ER/ICU nurse. We got a A**hole in one night that had kicked down his neighbors door to get to his girlfriend that had gone there for help ( the A**hole had beat her real bad ). The elderly man put a load of 7 1/2 bird shot into his mid section at 20-25 feet to stop him, it did. When the A**hole finally got to prison, he had lost one leg, one kidney and was peeing out a tube, and never would reproduce again.
The deputies on site gave the elderly man a slap on the hand ( they had to do something ), gave him back his 12 gauge and even offered to help clean up the mess.
Long story short--just about anything coming from a 12 gauge will stop someone NOT all drugged up, even bird shot.
The x-rays showed an impressive pattern for 20-25 feet. And no worry about neighbors.
Several years later we heard that the A**hole had ran into someone worse then him, he became worm food, couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.:drwho::drwho:

#18 ·
The new Federal mini shells contain all #4 buckshot.

I still just don't trust the mini shells to function through the Kel-Tec guns 100% of the time.

I felt more comfortable with the 2 1/4 inch low recoil shells as made by, among others, the Italian Noblesport company who's load is all #00 buck.
But, I'm not trusting anything until I can get some standard 2 3/4 inch shells.

#19 ·
I agree with you about using 2-3/4 shells for HD. I also only trust high brass. I can't believe how much buckshot is selling for these days. The only crazy money I spent on ammo was for the Tactical #1 Buckshot because it was Unobtainium for the past 3 years. I'm just going to be more stingy shooting what I have at the range and make every shot count.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.