Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
941 - 960 of 987 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dagger Knife Blade Cutting tool Tool

After I got too old to open my Buck knife with one hand, I started caring these flippers. At this point I’m more interested in a good sharpener since I can’t seem to hold an angle on the stone anymore.

·
Super Moderator
10,087 Posts
I like a big knife. :)

I'm currently carrying a Sog Spec Elite II - bottom in the picture, compared to a previous EDC the SOG Aegis.

Knife Blade Cutting tool Hunting knife Utility knife

The Spec Elite II has a blade that's almost five inches long and it's a serious heavy duty knife. It opens surprisingly fast. I snap it open almost instantly with one hand. It I pull back on the thumb stud it'll fly open even faster. Closing it one handed is fast and easy too. It's very securely locked open, but I pull back on the thumb stud to unlock it and I quickly flick it closed once I'm certain my fingers are clear. To be so large, it's very quick and easy to use. I flick it open, cut open a box and it's back in my knife pocket so fast that it looks like I'm trying out for a job at Benihana.

The only thing I don't love about it is the mild recurve in the blade, but it's not much and in practice it doesn't bother me.

There must be a reason that I haven't seen a big and beefy Wharncliffe blade. I'd like one of those.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I used to carry benchmades. Decided i really didnt care to.carry a high dollar knife so started carrying a kershaw brawler with spring assist. Cheap enough i have a few laying around along with the one i carry daily. I think theyre about 20 bucks a piece.

·
Super Moderator
10,087 Posts
I kept intending to buy a nice Benchmade knife but kept finding better values. I finally talked myself into their Crooked River, and then I learned that they were assisting in the destruction of firearms and I completely lost interest in all things Benchmade. Their subsequent damage control comments further convinced me of their actual intent, and then I learned the company had made significant out-of-state campaign contributions to anti-gun politicians. I still buy knives from Chinese communists. I don't agree with their politics but at least they're not actively attacking my way of life, and many of them are pretty good capitalists!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Knife Blade Hunting knife Cutting tool Utility knife
This week: small knife is a Boker Mini-Kalashnikov, and the larger is a First Tactical Viper spear blade.
(I don’t own any truly expensive knives; around $60 is my upper limit)

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
Yeah, I don't look into the politics of all the companies I do business with. Some, yes. Mostly if they stick it in my face (nra, Chick-fil-a).
I wasn't aware of issues with benchmark. I've got three of their knives. They are very good. I will buy a knife if I like it. I've got some $40 knives that I think are excellent. I have one 'auto knife' that I paid gun money for and it sucks. Complete pos.

Benchmark's are good tools. Does a Mercedes get you to work any more than a Ford? Nope. But it is more expensive for a reason. Like the deep quality thunk that you get closing the door on a high dollar car, opening a benchmark just has a good feel to it. Are they worth the money? No, I don't think so. I have one, not sure if I posted it here already. It has rose wood grip panels with carbon fiber up near the bolster. The inside sleeves are titanium and have a slight blue cast. The thing is light and oh so smooth. It locks up tight. Yeah, I paid close to $3 for it, but it is so obviously nicer/better than my other knives. Worth the money? No, I don't think so, but I've driven cars that cost that for years to make ends meet, and they more than meet now and I can afford to do silly things like this that make me happy. And it does. And that is worth it.

I have another benchmark that is a single blade, non-locking, thumb groove opening, kinda tight, some odd material panels on the side (light red). Damn thing was a hunerd bucks after some negotiation. Why? you might ask. It works. It just cuts. It is a no-nonsense tool that just works above the level of the sum of it's parts. It is not so pretty that I'm worried about it. And it cuts. Hard, fast and deep. I've not doubted it's value for a second. A picture of it would do no good. Like my best dog I ever had, it just looks like a dog or a knife.

Stop by and I'll let you try them. They are good stuff. Worth the price? That's for you to decide. Anyone out there have Cornwell wrenches? Is the 1/2 inch any more 1/2 inch then the Craftsman? Does the Craftsman turn the nut? Is the Cornwell better? Worth the price difference? Some think so.

lop

941 - 960 of 987 Posts