Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased my P-11 I also purchased a cleaning kit and Remington Rem Oil. I was wondering is there a better lubricant to use

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
Remoil is good stuff. However, with this gun you also need to use grease on the slide rails, hammer/slide interface bar & assembly pin. Any kind will do.

I use Remoil & Gunslick Graphite Grease. Have a tube from long ago.

My P40 will not run with just oil.

Reactions: Daverm

·
Registered
41 Posts
Remoil is good stuff. However, with this gun you also need to use grease on the slide rails, hammer/slide interface bar & assembly pin. Any kind will do.

I use Remoil & Gunslick Graphite Grease. Have a tube from long ago.

My P40 will not run with just oil.
Agreed with running well on "only" oil. Since I'm into bicycle repair also, I have found that my bike grease transitions well onto my P11 too. So any of them should work well for you. DON'T glop it on...read the above link showing the spots to grease.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use Boeshield T-9. I was developed by the Boeing airplane company. Rust and corrosion protection as well as a waterproof lubricant. Living on a island in saltwater that's important to me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
HeroHog said:
Can someone PLEASE repost the Lube Guide from an archived copy seing as the link in this thread and the FAQ is dead now? The FAQ needs updating as well...
2nd the motion.

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
If I may, cause I don't trust those timey wimey thingies

Proper lubrication will insure that your pistol functions correctly when called upon, for years to come. There are many brands of lubricants, and someone will claim that each is THE best. While some are better than others, it is much less important which brands you use, than how often, and where you use them.

Firearms should be cleaned and re-lubricated after every time they are fired. Even when they have not been fired, they should be cleaned and lubricated on a regular basis. Carry pistols, should be cleaned at least once a month since they are exposed to dust, lint and other contaminants. Guns that sit in a safe can be cleaned less often if not used, but you should clean them a couple times a year.

Lubrication of a typical pistol is best accomplished with use of both grease and oil or CLP. Below are illustrated the basics of where to lubricate a pistol. The pistol pictured is a Kel-Tec P32, but the principles can be transferred to most any other pistol. Places to use grease are lettered, places to use oil / CLP are numbered. Don't get carried away applying lubricants, you just want enough to lightly coat the parts. Not enough so that it runs off or is thrown off during use.

(use of oil / CLP in place of grease is fine if grease is not available or possibly even preferred in colder climates)

A coat the face of the hammer
B coat the entire length of both frame rails

1 between the trigger bar and frame
2 on the hammer axis
3 on the trigger axis

work the trigger a few times to help distribute the oil
to be continued

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
continued;

B coat entire length of both slide rails
C coat the hammer interface
D coat the inside of the barrel under lug

4 run an oiled patch through the barrel, followed by a dry patch to remove any excess
5 coat the belled area of the outside of the barrel
6 coat the guide rod

Reassemble as normal, and very lightly coat all exposed metal with oil to protect from corrosion. That's all there is to it.
quotes from http://web.archive.org/web/20121022040611/http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/lube.htm

·
Registered
136 Posts
haugrdr said:
Some of that stuff in those links is just gone. Goldenloki shut his site down and the info went away.
Goldenloki was on the forums earlier today doing some business with SK2, said he was leaving within the next four weeks, maybe someone can contact him to see if he still has copies of the website pages or can retrieve them from his host server provider (unlikely that his host provider has deleted it from their backups). If there is a cost incurred, I'd be willing to kick-in a bit to help pay the fee.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Been there, already done that. What we have is the web archives. GoldenLoki (Don) is moving to Thailand, and he didn't save the web info.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When I purchased my P-11 I also purchased a cleaning kit and Remington Rem Oil. I was wondering is there a better lubricant to use
I use Break Free CLP on springs and all internal parts, a very thin coat. On rails of all my guns I use Lucas extreme duty gun grease. Use a paint brush to apply the grease, it’ll leave a thin even coat. Any gun oil and any gun grease will do the trick. The only time the oil or grease will be pushed to it limit is if your doing mag dumps in the high hundreds to thousands as quickly as humanly possible. So don’t worry on the brand of oil or grease as long as your using gun Products ( they are formulated for firearms ).

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
this guy dod a pretty good looking series of tests on a whole bunch of gun lube products.. made me look at hornady one shot lube. Comprehensive Corrosion Test: 46 Products Compared | Day At The Range
Rust protection?:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts