What to do?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by SKILCZ, Oct 14, 2007.

1. SKILCZ

SKILCZ New Member

May 11, 2007
    So I guess this is more of a rant. Went to the range today with my wife, and we brought the P3AT for the 2nd time. It's only had 50-60 rds through it total after 2 range trips, and it's had ZERO malfunctions of any kind. I did NOT do a fluff & buff, just cleaned it, oiled it, and used it. I've gone to the range twice with it, and I'm getting much better and more comfortable with it.

The down side is, my wife HATES it b/c of the length and weight of the trigger pull (not the recoil). She has long fingers and she says she's only strong enough to pull the trigger using her joint, rather than the pad of her finger. The problem with that is, her index finger tip sticks out the left side of the gun and bumps into her left thumb during the pull to the point she can't pull the trigger and gets really nervous about the trigger pull. Then she starts using weird grips on it trying to compensate. It looks really awkward. I've tried helping, but she gets so frustrated by it that she wants to get rid of it.

I originally bought the P3AT as a pocket carry/BUG and a primary carry for my wife. I was a little nervous given all the posts about recoil, FTE/FTF, etc., but mine's been 100% since day one. I've grown to love it more and more, but she hates it and won't let me buy a different gun for her unless we sell the P3AT to raise funds for it.

I definitely want to get her a carry gun that she likes and will use, like maybe a Glock 26 (she likes Glock sights and simplicity). She says she doesn't feel comfortable carrying or using defensively a gun she's not comfortable shooting. I put her desires and safety before my own love of the gun, so I'm inclined to sell it. But it sucks b/c I'm loving the gun more and more.... Ugh!!!

What should I do? Suggestions? Parting with a gun I love is such sweet sorrow! :-/ :'(

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    As a consultant, a lot of the time when someone tells me the problem, the fix is included and they are too involved to see it.

Like your delimma.... the answer is....you need to find a short fingered mistress ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

3. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Wifey says if you do this wife will figure out how to fire the P3AT just fine.

-Scott

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    SEE...Problem solved ;) All that is needed was motivation

5. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    You could try adding length to the backstap with something
    and holding it in place with a inner tube or wrap around grip ??

It may compensate for long fingers.

I would hate to get rid of a gun I liked, good luck

6. gb6491

gb6491 New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    If the mistress thing doesn't pan out :eek: :), I think it best to get the wife what she likes and is comfortable with.

That said, Two Pistol Packer has a modification that lightens the pull:
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1191446665

Regards,
    Greg

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    A KTOG member (sprinter1) makes such a pad
    He has a website HERE
    [​IMG]
    He also has a wrapper to go with the pads

HERE is a post discussing such pads

8. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    The Sprinter pads and grip sleve may help for sure.  It may also make the gun more comfortable for her to shoot.  These are not really easy guns to master.  I don't see her fingers being so long as to make the gun that difficult to shoot.  And the trigger pull should only be 5 pounds or so.  I have very large hands that dwarf the gun but I can still shoot if fine.  Surely your fingers are longer than hers and you manage.  I think it is just different from other larger guns that she has shot and she just needs more time with it.  She hasn't shot it that much yet.  If you do end up having to get her something else, and if I know women, you may, just say that they wouldn't give enough on the trade in to make it worth trading in the P3AT.  ;)

P.S.  If she thinks that trigger pull is long, borrow a P11 and have her shoot that.  The trigger pull is much longer and almost twice as heavy.  She'll be begging for the P3.  :)

9. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    The LHS equipped P3AT is much more trigger-finger-friendly. If the trigger pull is her main objection--The LHS would make it perfect.

Packer.

10. Geezz........you guys are really slipping...

The solution is so simple...   Let me be the first one to offer the crisp $100 bill !!!!   ;D

I don't think I can argue with her there  SKILZ, I feel the same way...  I had something similar this weekend.   I tried to put some Crimson Trace grips on that new S&W 637 I got from bubbaman.  My hands are so big I could not activate the laser and pull the trigger at the same time.  The laser grips are going back for the overmolded size laser grips.

Increase girth of the grip area Skilz, and get her to practice, practice, practice.

I just wish I could get my wife to the range and try shooting at all.

11. No gun is right for everyone. I have very small hands for a guy that is over 6 feet tall, so infact a lot of large calber guns will not work for me as I can't hold on to them.

I have a freind with big hands. He hates my P3AT. Why? His finger is so big or the P3AT is so small that his finger gets stuck betwwen the triger guard and the triger. He has to pull the gun off his hand.

If she can not adapt to the P3AT try to find a rang with guns you can try. I allways test fire a gun before I buy it. I don't want to buy it, just to find out it is the wrong gun for me. At the very least find a dealer that will let her hold and dry fire a few guns. But again dry fireing is one thing... Live fire is another.

Last but least I'll give you $110.00 for it, and I'll send a think you note to your wife!