Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Grand Poobah
1,456 Posts
My .45 is a 1911, and I usually shoot my own handloads which are mostly cast 200 gr semi wadcutters that are polymer coated over various powders. I don't cast and coat my own, but buy them from various vendors. I can recommend Acme and DG Bullets from personal experience, and Bayou Bullets from secondhand experience. For commercial ammo, any 230 grain ball from a reputable manufacturer should be fine. For self-defense, any jacketed hollowpoint from 185 to 230 grain bullet weight that functions reliably in your gun should do. Your Springfield is a newer design than the 1911, and it is likely to be less finicky than some 1911s are. Remington Golden Saber .45 ACP in various weights has a reputation for feeding well in most pistols (probably meaning 1911s) if you can find it.

Looking at your pictures, I think I see part of the cover of the manual in the top part of the case. Check it to see if Springfield makes any specific recommendations for ammo. They don't in my Hellcat manual other than saying to avoid "old or reloaded" and to use commercially-produced ammo. They have to say that, and I don't take it personally, since who knows the quality of random reloaded ammo. I trust mine, but don't expect anyone else to. I do keep records of each batch I load and generally follow loads found in, preferably, multiple manuals. I have been known to deviate, particularly with .32 ACP, which I load to old, pre-neutering SAAMI, or European CIP, specs, and shoot in guns built for it.

You have to watch those Springers. I bought a Hellcat a couple of years ago, and now have three, in different configurations, which have kicked everything else out of my carry rotation, including the P-11, P-40s, and my beloved Beretta Cheetahs. This is due to my finding holsters for the Hellcats that I really like and caliber and capacity advantages over the Cheetahs. Also, the grip fits my hands well, they have a low bore axis, and they're a couple of ounces heavier than the P-11. All of these factors help on recoil management. The triggers, even the Gen I ones, are way ahead of the P-11/40 but you give up second strike capability. I replaced my Gen I triggers with Apex triggers, for further improvement. Springfield's Gen II trigger addresses the issues with the originals, but I don't think Springfield offers a retrofit pathway for existing guns, or sells the parts so I could do it myself. The differences between the Hellcat and the P-11 aren't huge, but they add up to a more pleasant gun to shoot and practice with. That's what 25 years of advancement gets you, but there's still tradeoffs and the P-11/40 is still a viable carry piece, and I've decided to see if I can get a good holster for it from the maker of my favorite Hellcat holsters.

buzzsaw

·
Registered
P-11 & P-40, PF9, Beretta neo, Springfield XDS .45
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
My .45 is a 1911, and I usually shoot my own handloads which are mostly cast 200 gr semi wadcutters that are polymer coated over various powders. I don't cast and coat my own, but buy them from various vendors. I can recommend Acme and DG Bullets from personal experience, and Bayou Bullets from secondhand experience. For commercial ammo, any 230 grain ball from a reputable manufacturer should be fine. For self-defense, any jacketed hollowpoint from 185 to 230 grain bullet weight that functions reliably in your gun should do. Your Springfield is a newer design than the 1911, and it is likely to be less finicky than some 1911s are. Remington Golden Saber .45 ACP in various weights has a reputation for feeding well in most pistols (probably meaning 1911s) if you can find it.

Looking at your pictures, I think I see part of the cover of the manual in the top part of the case. Check it to see if Springfield makes any specific recommendations for ammo. They don't in my Hellcat manual other than saying to avoid "old or reloaded" and to use commercially-produced ammo. They have to say that, and I don't take it personally, since who knows the quality of random reloaded ammo. I trust mine, but don't expect anyone else to. I do keep records of each batch I load and generally follow loads found in, preferably, multiple manuals. I have been known to deviate, particularly with .32 ACP, which I load to old, pre-neutering SAAMI, or European CIP, specs, and shoot in guns built for it.

You have to watch those Springers. I bought a Hellcat a couple of years ago, and now have three, in different configurations, which have kicked everything else out of my carry rotation, including the P-11, P-40s, and my beloved Beretta Cheetahs. This is due to my finding holsters for the Hellcats that I really like and caliber and capacity advantages over the Cheetahs. Also, the grip fits my hands well, they have a low bore axis, and they're a couple of ounces heavier than the P-11. All of these factors help on recoil management. The triggers, even the Gen I ones, are way ahead of the P-11/40 but you give up second strike capability. I replaced my Gen I triggers with Apex triggers, for further improvement. Springfield's Gen II trigger addresses the issues with the originals, but I don't think Springfield offers a retrofit pathway for existing guns, or sells the parts so I could do it myself. The differences between the Hellcat and the P-11 aren't huge, but they add up to a more pleasant gun to shoot and practice with. That's what 25 years of advancement gets you, but there's still tradeoffs and the P-11/40 is still a viable carry piece, and I've decided to see if I can get a good holster for it from the maker of my favorite Hellcat holsters.

buzzsaw
I did read the manual and just like your hellcat it doesn't list ammo other than to avoid "old or reloaded" and to use commercially produced ammo. What brand of holster do you use with the hellcat? You are right about Springfield's I went looking for a holster today and ended up looking at and palming a hellcat.

·
Grand Poobah
1,456 Posts
I did read the manual and just like your hellcat it doesn't list ammo other than to avoid "old or reloaded" and to use commercially produced ammo. What brand of holster do you use with the hellcat? You are right about Springfield's I went looking for a holster today and ended up looking at and palming a hellcat.
I'm not surprised the manual didn't give more detail.

I like this holster: Burdette Custom Leather model HC3 IWB Hellcat/ Hellcat OSP Holster
That holster isn't far off from fitting the P-40. I'm planning on getting in touch with Mr. Burdette to see if he can make that design for it. When I put together my RDP "Frankengun" with parts from various sources, I bought the holster he makes for that version and I like it, too.

Springfield frequently has discounts on accessories when you buy a new gun and fill out the warranty registration.

buzzsaw

·
Registered
P-11 & P-40, PF9, Beretta neo, Springfield XDS .45
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
My Springfield returned today and I must say the customer service was awesome. They returned it in a sa case and included a 7rd mag. Plus they included all the paperwork that comes with a new gun purchase. Also gave me a 50% off coupon towards a laser purchase for it.
Material property Bumper Gas Gadget Auto part

21 - 25 of 25 Posts