What should I get my wife?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Ryan, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I am going to take my chl class this next month and am going to try to get my wife to go too.  She doesn't seem enamered with the idea of carrying, but I am going to start taking her shooting often to get here comfortable with firearms.  I'd like her to take the class so that if she decides she wants to carry in her purse she can.  

So I'm looking for some thoughts on what to get her.  Must be small, (as the taurus pt-138 .380 that she can shoot fine is still large enough that she probably wouldn't want to worry about hiding it whet the purse is opened).  I was thinking either a P3AT, P32 or small j frame size revolver.  I have relatives with the P3AT and a .38spl j frame we can try out.  Trouble is she has injured her wrist recently and they need to heel and I don't want to have her reinjure it.  Each of these have advantages for her and disadvantages.

P3AT:  Size and weight is great!  Just pull the trigger operation if loaded.  
       Too much recoil for wrists?  Will she limp wrist it?  
    P32:    Less recoil on her wrists than P3AT.
       Still to much recoil?  I don't have anybody here that owns one to try out.  Limp wristing?  Lower power
    Revolver:  No limp wristing problems and very reliable.  Good power
       To much recoil?  Larger than the Kel-tecs.

Any other ideas?  Your thoughts?  Even a .22lr, or .25 is better than nothing if that is what she can handle and practice with.

Thanks-Ryan :)

2. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    start small then work your way up....small 22 revolver or something like a taurus pt22 with a tip up barrel you don't even have to rack the slide...and yes auto loaders all prone to limp wristing/feeding issues.....gpr

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    You have already mentioned the advantages and the minor disadvantages of both the P32 and P3AT and this section would be approaite for that discussion

The discussion of "first gun" would be given more attention in the "other gun" section.

4. swatz

swatz New Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Most ranges I have been to have had the P3AT as a rental..I would have her try it out and see how she does, my wife does not have any problems shooting mine. Better yet you should buy one for yourself, and let her try yours..I doubt you will get it back though...Remember, don't forget a holster if she ends up carrying in her purse!
    Best, Steve

5. ElBoricua

ElBoricua New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    Thats funny i am going through this right now, my wife doesn't like guns and she is afraid of them a couple of weeks a group of guys took our wifes to the range and my wife since her friends were going she decided to go, she try my XD40SC and she didn't like it, she tried a 38 no go, G27 and G26 no go. She fell in love with the P3AT she shot pretty good with it and she is already planning to get the grip painted pink. So I guess I need to start looking for another one for me.

6. swatz

swatz New Member

Feb 1, 2008
    ElBoricua,
    My wife tried that with my G26! lol..she shoots it better than I do ;) I guess I should get her one for Christmas..Steve

7. Do like I did-  get her something [highlight]YOU[/highlight] want.  When she tells you that she does not like it.....you get a new toy.
    When she decides it is ok....but does not shoot it anyway.......you get a new toy.

No matter what----  YOU get a new toy.  That is all that matters any way.

But seriously-   for self defense of a woman that does not care much about shooting, much less willing to spend time with a gun.......I  went with the .38 Stainless snubbie with a CTC laser for my wife.

Mitch-  Who recently bought his wife a VERY NICE S&W 4" Stainless 617 10 shots -.22 cal, just becuase she hates the Stainless S&W .38 +p snubbie he got her last year!

8. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    My wife got some stalking e-mails, got her ccl, tried several guns from 38spl to 22, all hurt her wrists, except the taurus pt 22 tip up, which she likes, don't hurt her wrists, and has learned to rapid fire several rds, because of the small calibre. (on target) The thing she is most impressed with is she can load it and operate it without my help. (most are to hard for a small lady to rack). She is comfortable now in most (go to work) situations. and it's easy to carry. Jim <><

9. Ryan

Ryan New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Thanks all. Sorry about being in the wrong section of the forums. :-[

Well next friday she will get a chance to try the P3at so that will tell me something. I'll have to borrow my cousin's .38 soon to. I'm a bit underwelmed with the idea of a 22 but if that's all she likes I would be happy with it.

I know I would like the p3at since I could carry it anywhere if she doesn't end up liking it. That would make the start of a nice KT collection since I'm picking up a pf-9 next week.

:)

Thanks all,
    Ryan

10. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    My vote would be for the P32. Wifey and I "fight" over it now that she has her ccw permit ;D
    The P32 is a great little gun, she could pocket carry it easier than a J frame and it's lighter than a Taurus 22. I would advise against her carrying in her purse if possible, if something happens that will be the first thing a BG tries to take.

YMMV
    CJ

11. Iexpedite08

Iexpedite08 New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    My P3AT is the first only/pistol I have ever owned.  So I am not much help when it comes to recommendations.  I can tell you my wife can't rack the slide on the Kel-Tec.  She fired one shot and the recoil had her giving me the gun back with a quickness.  In an emergency I am sure the recoil aspect would be overlooked...just like my deer rifle doesn't kick when I am aimed at a whitetail.  The slide is another issue all together.  She can not properly operate the gun.  My 380 is new only 25 rds throughput so far.  It would probably loosen up but not enough to make the slide manageable for her.  As someone mentioned earlier buy yourself one then when she has problems with it...buy her something different.  That's what I will be doing YES!!!! ;D

12. ctlover

ctlover New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    I agree with cjp32 that your wife should seriously reconsider carrying a conceled weapon in her purse unless it is designed to carry a pistol, such as the ones sold by the NRA. Have you ever seen what a woman carries in her purse? It could take some time to not only find a pistol in there but even longer to actually draw it. CJP32 is also correct in that it is the first thing a BG will grab from a woman, then you have just given the BG a free weapon. Not a good thing. :(

13. Ryan

Ryan New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Yeah, you all have a great point and that's what I've been thinking. If she likes the P3at and doesn't limp wrist it that's what we'll get. If it has too much recoil for her to handle we'll go with the P-32. I wonder if it will fir in her pockets with a holster? HMM? Another thing to think about :-/. She doesn't were those extremely tight jeans, but they are fairly tight as most womens jeans are. I doubt she'd go for an IWB.

14. NavDoc

NavDoc New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    My wife just bought a Bersa Thunder CC .380 and loves it.  I shot it and it was smooth as silk. I own a Kel-Tec P-3AT. Great little gun.

15. seabear1500

seabear1500 New Member

Nov 23, 2008
    I agree with the notion of getting something for "her" that "you" would like.

In reality, unless they practice enough to deal with FTF or FTE, a revolcer would be better. Downside is it will be heavier. My wife prefers my Bersa BT380, over my revolvers because of weight. She hasn't gotten to shoot the KT yet I just got it yesterday. If she likes it I'll just have to by another. LOL

16. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    +3 on this one. If she doesn't like and use it, get her a .44 mag. Any gun sitting at home will do her just as much good.

I'm in the same search as you and many others. Looking for sompfin for the wife. check out and have her check out this site:
    http://www.corneredcat.com/Mindset/corneredcat.aspx
    great info. By a woman, for women. Key thing is have her involved in the selection or you are just buying yourself another gun (not a bad thing, but doen't solve your problem ;) )

Oh, and welcome to KTOG. Nice folks here.