Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've screwed up and missed on 2 SU 16 CA's...next one I find I'm jumping on with both feet!!
My question is what optics are you guys using? I've always lived in the realm of sporting style rifles,pistols and optics..I see red dots, Eotechs(sp?), stuff like that on these kinds of guns..
What are you using and why? and do you like them to co-witness, or does it matter?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Patience A.O. One will come along. I waited over a year to find mine. I was more worried when I saw 2 of them sitting on a table at the gun show that the price would skyrocket because of my interest in them.
On Optics, I am waiting to see what I want this weapon to do. I use a Burris AR-332 on the AR, but this with my eyesight limits it to around 100 yards. 3X power is ok, but for beyond 100 yards I need a 10X at least. For the time being I'll use the irons on the SU-16.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holy camoly..the Burris is $300 and the ACOG is $700...anything cheaper?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I know not too many people like them but I have an NcStar 3x9-42 and it has held zero the the last three times to the range at 100 yds. I put it on a 3/4 inch riser so I can still use my original irons sights. I also have a UTG red dot. Both are on QD's and have been great. Like Kent implied, what will you want to do with the rifle. Distance, close quarters, random paper shredding from various distances? I ended up keeping the NcStar on my SU16 and put the red dot on my SU22 with MBUS thru sight usage. Oh and it cost me under $300 for MBUS, red dot and scope.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sure, many are cheaper. Depends on if you want looks or something that will take the recoil and keep working for thousands of rounds and firearm bumps & deliver rounds to dialed in target.
My friend John at work is getting a 3,000 dollar scope to replace the 2500.00 one that just has a reticule he doesn't like on his rifle. He shoots a 50 BMG, so you get get what ya pay for big time in that caliber.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well said Spud9. Not all cheap optics are junk. Some work just fine within their limits. Within NC Star many are not worth the money, but others are acceptable as worthy shooting accessories. My AR dealer sells the entire line of NC star. I bought 2 rifle cases from them because they have storage pockets. Many cheap gun cases by Allen for example may not have storage pockets, but NC Star does for the same money.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I put a Meprolight M21 amber triangle reticle on my SU-16E with last year's tax return. It's a great optic for both eyes open shooting and a lot less than a Trijicon @ $450 or so. I used to have a Barska red dot on it but it was crappy with a limited field of view.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I know not too many people like them but I have an NcStar 3x9-42 and it has held zero the the last three times to the range at 100 yds. I put it on a 3/4 inch riser so I can still use my original irons sights. I also have a UTG red dot. Both are on QD's and have been great. Like Kent implied, what will you want to do with the rifle. Distance, close quarters, random paper shredding from various distances? I ended up keeping the NcStar on my SU16 and put the red dot on my SU22 with MBUS thru sight usage. Oh and it cost me under $300 for MBUS, red dot and scope.
The 3-9x40 I run is an NCStar product as well and it's held up over 2 different rifles and has never needed adjustment aside from when my top rail has to come off for cleaning but that's not the scopes fault. I think it cost me $90. Has the red/green optics choices too.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HA!! What do I want to do with the rifle?? darn good question!! Not got any hard plans for it..I already have excellent long(er) distance hunting rifles and pistols, shorter distance hunting stuff, I just recently picked up a PMR30 and I thought I wanted a "rapid" fire type rifle, and after a bunch of research this is where I landed.
Most of my stuff is scoped do to my aging eyes, so I was looking for something different..probably out to 100 yards or so..matbe some longer stuff but till I get it in my greasy little hands, I'm not real sure..:D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Have a look at Primary Arms web site; I and several friends use their red dots and like them, they also have a compact scope that is quite interesting.
bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello all. I too have used NcStar and it holds up well, had an issue with it and sent it back on 02-02-12 for warranty and they send you a new one. Well 2 months later and $10 later still waiting for it, NcStar said that there was a huge demand for there products and there currently being held up @ US Customs to be cleared out and I should be getting it within the next 2 weeks, so a total of 2.5 months. Oh well, it is what it is. Just before sending out the NcStar I had picked up the Lucid HD7 (red dot) and I love this damn thing, great for short stuff and they do have magnifier's available, but that just costs more. Anyhow, for the shooting I do, I love the damn Lucid HD7 and the NcStar isn't half bad either.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I first mounted a Bushnell tactical reddot and liked it. It was $90. I remounted it on a Mossberg 835 3 1/2" turkey gun and after 1800 .223s and 50 super mags it still holds zero. Next I mounted a Burris trophy 3-9x mil dot and it is great. IIRC $175. solid, great brightness, holds zero after over 2000 rounds.

The reddot had fast target acquisition, was great under low light, but after a while I concluded that for my 58 year old eyes I needed a scope for ranges over 75 yards. Groups shrank from 5" to 2" at 100 yards.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I first mounted a Bushnell tactical reddot and liked it. It was $90. I remounted it on a Mossberg 835 3 1/2" turkey gun and after 1800 .223s and 50 super mags it still holds zero. Next I mounted a Burris trophy 3-9x mil dot and it is great. IIRC $175. solid, great brightness, holds zero after over 2000 rounds.

The reddot had fast target acquisition, was great under low light, but after a while I concluded that for my 58 year old eyes I needed a scope for ranges over 75 yards. Groups shrank from 5" to 2" at 100 yards.
I'm leaning toward some glass too due to my old eyes... Right now its between one of the NcStar type 3-9x40's or a Nikon P-223...with about $100 difference in price.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have the NcStar 3x9-40 and love it. So far after zeroing once and two more trips to the range, perfect.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
There's that "N" word again.........

I really hate to hear that "N" word, it doesn't bring back good memories for me. :D I had horrible luck with several of their scopes and accessories. I realize they might make some decent (for the money) products, but I would rather stay away from them myself. Heck, I have tried Leapers, Bushnell, Simmons and Tasco scopes (older ones) with little success. While I do have several Simmons scopes, the more expensive 44 Mag model I bought was junk yet the less expensive 22 Mag and 8 Point scopes seem fine, go figure! I have several decent scopes and a few really nice ones, one being a Nikon Monarch which I got from a friend used, but barely, great glass there. If I had the money I would buy very expensive glass such a Nightforce and Leupold for example. but I don't have that kind of money so I look for deals. I have to say from personal experience that NcStar isn't any deal, inexpensive, yes, deal no!

Bam Bam

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really hate to hear that "N" word, it doesn't bring back good memories for me. :D I have to say from personal experience that NcStar isn't any deal, inexpensive, yes, deal no!
Bam Bam
Well I'm glad you cleared that up...I talk about NcStar and Nikon and you say you hate the N word...well ,which is it I'm thinking.. :eek:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yeah the cheaper China scopes are not worth the hassle. I have a Simmons on my 10/22 but we're not exactly talking high recoil forces here. There are some very good Made in China scopes e.g. Hi-Lux and some of the Vortex line, the Vortex Strikefire red dot is probably the most popular SU-16 optic if you go look at the pic thread.

There is no shame is spending the price of your rifle in a good optic (scope, red dot, reflex, holo, etc). Before the flood of cheap scopes from overseas this was normal. With that said, my SU-16E is the only rifle I have where the cost of the optic is even close to what I paid for it. I have two fairly pricy rifles (over $1k) that wear a Leupold 1.5-4x Mark AR ($280) and a Nikon 1-4x M-223 ($260) and a $700 hunting rifle with a $169 Redfield 3-9x. The Leupold and Redfield are made in the U.S. of A. while the Nikon is assembled in the Phillippines. You can get outstanding optics for very little money these days, don't head all the way to the bottom of $39 no-name, back of the CDNN/Cheaper Than Dirt/Sportsman's Guide catalog scopes!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well I did it...Sprang for the 3-9x40 P-223 Nikon..they gave me 50 bucks off the price where I work, thought that was pretty good.
I too have always thought... buy the best scope you can afford, don't know why I was thinking cheaping out on this one..
Nikon makes a good scope, very clear glass and this one was set up for this particular cartridge, and I really like target turrets, so what the hell!!
I'll post a couple pics later...ok, its later, here's pics

·
Registered
400 Posts
Great scopes. Only complaints I have heard are the exposed and non-locking turrets. If you're terribly worried about it just mark your zeroed setting with a grease pencil!

It pains me to say it but my Nikon is more clear and bright than my Leupold. The ocular lens is larger on the Nikon so that might have something to do with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts