Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up my new P11 on Saturday and I plan on doing a steady course of modifications including installing the Northwood aluminum trigger, polishing the fire control components and the feed ramp. (Maybe doing the remainder of the fluff and buff depending on what the slide looks like.) I plan on ordering the Kel-Tec sight kit, clean up the molding flash, drill for fiber-optic inserts and set for POI. I may also do a melt and polish on the slide along with a baked on finish.

I'm buying the P11 for two reasons.

1) As a daily deep carry firearm. I'm on the road all the time and I recently had a friend make me an offer for my daily carry gun that I couldn't pass up so I need a new deep conceal gun that I can carry wearing a suit that I don't ever have to worry about printing. The P11 fits that bill for now while I shop for a new 1911 and will continue to fill that roll even when I do have a new 1911.

2) This looks like an easy gun to work on and will give me a fun project! Its in a price point that doesn't scare me to work on it. Not to mention that I can get every single part from Kel-Tec so if I do break something a new part is only a short Fedex delivery away! I enjoy projects and I'm more likely to hang onto this gun for a long time if I have my personal stamp on it.

I know that the first thing that someone is going to post is "Go to the range and learn to shoot it!" That is the first place I will be going Saturday. I have lots of room to shoot just out my back door and I have tons of opportunities to put rounds down range. Before I ever open it up I'll be familiar with the piece and know what deficiencies I'm trying to correct.

The next one is "If this gun isn't what you want maybe you should save your money and buy a gun that is more in line with what you are looking for." It's exactly what I want, the upgradeability is part of what I like about it.

So...

What does everyone recommend as the number one upgrade? What would you do first?

Thanks!

Jeremiah

·
Grand Poobah
2,252 Posts
Welcome to Ktog.
The first thing to do is order a Northwood replacement trigger.
While you wait, do a fluff and buff.
Take time to read every post from the beginning of Ktog to the end.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I'll be putting in my order for the northwood trigger tomorrow along with a couple extra magazines and base plate extenders.

I just picked up some new flannel buffing wheels for my Dremmel tool and will be spending my three day weekend polishing.

·
Grand Poobah
2,252 Posts
Here is the good stuff on how to fluff & buff your P-11.
This is a guide to what you can do to your P-11 to improve reliability as well as some trigger mods.
Its a god idea to bookmark it, if your guide rod slips back you can refer to this for help.
http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/index.htm

·
Registered
428 Posts
Throat & polish, fluff & buff, belt clip and 40 cal guide rod and springs. Got two P-11's and they are flawless.. Carry everyday and everywhere with no worries..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the good stuff on how to fluff & buff your P-11.
This is a guide to what you can do to your P-11 to improve reliability as well as some trigger mods.
Its a god idea to bookmark it, if your guide rod slips back you can refer to this for help.
http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/index.htm
Already got it bookmarked!

Just ordered an extra magazine and a couple of extensions from Kel-Tec. I pulled out the needle files and my stash of emery paper and the dremel ready to go. There are a couple hundred rounds of 9mm sitting in my range bag and a Don Hume itw on order.

Now I just need the time to put it all to use. That may be more difficult.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If the question is what mod first, the answer is undoubtedly a nice, comfortable grip. I like Hogue. Wish I had done it sooner rather than later on mine, and it cost next to nothing (pic on left was 'pre-grip').

Enjoy,
Mutha Bob

·
Registered
428 Posts
The .40 metal guide rod is not recommended because it can damage the frame.
I wouldn't believe everything you read until you have tried it yourself. I've been running the rod and spring in mine since I got them years ago and they run flawless...

I know there was talk about "maybe" the .40 cal rod would cause a problem in the P-11. Not in my case...

·
Administrator
31,976 Posts
I know there was talk about "maybe" the .40 cal rod would cause a problem in the P-11. Not in my case...
First off, the 40 cal steel rod is longer than the P11 rod and does NOT fit the P11. Kt makes a steel rod for the P11, but it offers no real advantage unless you want to add a little weight, and can cause some problems, plus the polymer rods simply don't fail. All they do is keep the springs aligned. ;)

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/guiderod.htm

ymmv...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Welcome to Ktog.
The first thing to do is order a Northwood replacement trigger.
While you wait, do a fluff and buff.
Take time to read every post from the beginning of Ktog to the end.
+1 - Getting a carry firearm is all about being able to shoot it well - do yourself a favor and get the Northwoods trigger. Then put a Hogue Handall jr. grip sleeve on it (install it upside down) and you will be amazed how these two mods help. Go ahead a try all the other tricks and mods and eventually you will kick yourself for not doing these right away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts