Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After recalling that someone here recommended grease on the slide rails instead of oil, I went to Cabelas (sorry; it was Bass Pro) to see what I could find. All they had was oil. No grease. That is except in their black powder and shotgun areas where they had breach grease and choke grease. Some stuff had teflon in it; maybe some had graphite (don't remember); some was high-priced lithium grease (which I can get by the tub at AutoZone). So instead of picking up any, I thought I'd better ask here first. What kind of grease do you like to use? Thanks much.

Tommy

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
There was a thread recently about a place that had some great high temp, high friction grease that was about $9/2oz tube.  It had a neat little applicator nozzle that would be convenient and 2 oz should last about forever.  

Me, I am too cheap and went out to the barn and took out the best wheel bearing grease I had, filled a 35mm film container and put it and a baggie of Q-Tips in my cleaning kit.  It works just fine.  Even after 100's of rounds between cleanings we still are not talking the kind of abuse a wheel bearing gets so its more that there is something there rather than what.

-Scott

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
This what I use:

Slide-Glide Lite grease
http://www.brianenos.com/pages/slide-glide.html

It's expensive, but one tub will probably last a lifetime. I like it because it doesn't migrate during use, it stays right where you put it. It's red, so you can see it easily when you apply it and also when you want to remove it.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
adamsesq said:
That's the one I was thinking but I must have confused the applicator tip packaging with something else.  I think if I were to try something else this would be it but what I have been using seems to work too.

-Scott
I think I remember another grease that looked really good that someone mention a while back that came in or with a fine point applicator. I was thinking of trying it, but it was also rather expensive, and since The Slide-Glide has worked very well for me I decided to stay with it.

Bobo

·
Registered
29 Posts
Militec makes both an oil and a grease.

Somebody here posted that they usually are happy to send samples if you ask them... I sent them an email and got tube/bottle of each, likely enough to last me quite a while considering how little you apply!

Is it any better than axle grease? I have no idea, but it certainly is easier to apply out of the small tube. Better than bacon grease? Probably, but it doesn't smell nearly as good!

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Plex said:
Bacon grease or lard.  Patches cut out of an old nightshirt.  Balls cast over the woodstove.  Oh wait, this is the 1906 book.  I guess they're talking about muzzle loaders.

--Plex
Bacon grease or lard make an excellent cutting oil for drilling and machine work.

I'v been using 3 in 1 white lithium grease(spray) on my gun rails/slides

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Sorry for the bacon grease silliness.

The first time I clean a new gun, I field strip it, clean it well, and then coat all the metal parts with Miltec-1 oil.  I put all the parts (no polymer!) on an old cookie sheet.  Depending on the time of year, I'll either put the cookie sheet on top of my woodstove for a few minutes, or in a VERY slow oven for a few.

Some guys use a blow dryer, fire the weapon until well warmed, or set the parts in the sun.

I then wipe it all back down.  The Miltec-1 penetrates the pores of the metal and some stays on the metal parts.

I put a small amount of Miltec-1 grease on the rail surfaces and reassemble the gun.

It works for me.  All of my guns have been flawless in operation, and NONE show signs of rust.  

Be careful whatever grease you use on the rail surfaces, as too much can attract lint and dust and have the opposite effect you had hoped.

Click on http://www.militec-1.com/  then firearms, then
FIREARMS APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Printable version - PDF

I bought their large bottle of oil, but the little tub of grease they sent me with my "free sample" will probably last my lifetime.

I don't see where the general public is invited to ask for a free sample any more, but they do have a link for LE and military.

--Plex

G

·
I use Remoil and just about any kind of high grade gun grease they have when I need more.

I think as long as it has PLENTY of grease and is cleaned at least 3-4 x per month and EVERY time I shoot, it really does not matter what kind of grease, as long as it gets plenty.

By plenty of grease, I mean so much I have to wipe it off the back of the slide after I put it back together.

Check the teck works section to find the spots to grease.

G

·
pointpro said:
I use plain old wheel bearing grease. As you can see from the other post any kind will work ,I bet the bacon grease from breakfest would too!
bacon grease is a good idea. that way if it fails at the range, u can just eat it ;D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.