Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sub2k gen 2 in Glock 9mm that I bought 9 months ago has the original sight on it. ( and is slightly canted to the right from the factory). I was thinking about driving the hour over to Kel-Tec to drop it off and have the updated sight installed. The question I have is what keeps the updated site from spinning other than maybe some factory installed lock tite? It has no set screw as on the original sight. I know the updated sight has the thread protector nut and washer to keep it from backing off, but what stops it from spinning the other way?

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's a good question. What would be nice is in similar fashion to an AR, it was keyed or pinned so that it could slide on or off, but never really get out of alignment.

The problem is that this gun NEEDS a sight that can rotate, because the rear sight is often crooked or misaligned, and the front only has a few clicks of adjustment left or right... That might not be enough to compensate for the rear being off...

So canting the sight to the left or right to match the rear, is often the only way to zero the gun properly.

When I straightened mine, I had to move the front post all the way to the right to where it was so off center in the shroud that it made it unusable and it still wouldn't zero, so I had to loosen it, make it crooked to the right and then zero it like the factory did...

It's a sub $400 gun, not a precision instrument. Some feel that it gives the gun "character"... haha

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My rear sight is straight, no problem there. My front sight sits about the 1 minute position as looking down the sights.

I do like the set screw on the original sight. I my mind that seems it would hold better than just lock tite as on the updated sight.

I may just try and loosen my from sight and move it to the 12 o'clock position, then dimple the barrel slightly where the set screw will sit. Then lock it down with the set screw.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
My sub2k gen 2 in Glock 9mm - The question I have is what keeps the updated site from spinning other than maybe some factory installed lock tite? It has no set screw as on the original sight. I know the updated sight has the thread protector nut and washer to keep it from backing off, but what stops it from spinning the other way?
My Gen 2 front sight is internally threaded and screws onto the barrel. I did not have it on very long before I removed it, but I did toy with it a bit. Removing the thread protector then loosening the jam nut allowed my front sight to rotate on or off the barrel. That also permitted rotation to correct minor sight adjustments (left or right). Tightening the jam nut while the front sight is aligned where I wanted it to be held it in place. I suspect that yours is made the same way and can be adjusted like mine was.

Note: If you decide that you really have to use some type of thread locker, don't use Loctite. Loctite releases with heat (like a hot barrel). Rocksett is the better option. It does not release with heat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.