Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is this part? Is it the "feed ramp" for the barrel? It appears to be part of the barrel assembly.

Also should it be flat and polished or should it have a lip to it?

The one I'm working with has FTE issues like crazy and this has a pretty heavy ridge. I don't have a pic right now so this pic is NOT the actual one.

·
Registered
335 Posts
That's part of the barrel extension that includes the bolt locking lug recess and is a small feed ramp to direct shells into the chamber.
The barrel is three pieces: the barrel part number 118, the barrel nut part 136, and the barrel extension part 135.

When the extension was machined it was threaded so it, the barrel and barrel nut could be screwed together to form a finished barrel.
Almost all modern shotgun barrels are at least two pieces so as to avoid the problems with attempting to make a one piece barrel.
To simplify production the barrel is made from a barrel blank tube, and the extension is a separate piece screwed or brazed to the tube.

The small lug you see is simply part of the extension left to serve as a feed ramp.
When the barrel extension was machined the partial threads are left from the threading operation. Since they don't cause any problems the excess threads are not machined off to save costs.

If your gun has a feed problem I do NOT recommend altering the feed ramp.
If that's not the problem you may cause additional problems that would require buying a new barrel, since alterations like that void the factory warranty.

Unless you're 100% CERTAIN that's the problem I'd return the gun to Kel-Tec and let them correct it on their dime.
They'll pay shipping both ways, and they seem to be fast on warranty repairs.

If you're outside the USA, you may have no choice but to attempt a repair yourself.
If so, I'd use a flex shaft or Dremel type tool and a 1/2 inch diameter "bullet" shaped rubber bonded medium grit abrasive polishing shape to lightly smooth up the ramp.
I would not attempt to remove the remains of the threads since those should not be a problem.

Industrial and jewelers supply houses sell these abrasive tips under brand names like "Cratex".......

4919a132p1-a05c-@1x_637099291108031195.png

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for that.

It definitely isn’t a feeding problem so I will leave it alone.
The problem is FTE. I have practically mirrored the chamber and rounds go in out out easily. They didn’t before. I’m thinking now that I may have worn the ejector/ejector spring in my attempts to get the rounds to eject before smoothing the chamber.
For the $15 to buy the new pieces I’ll try that first and if that fails then I’ll send it in. I’ve heard that it takes quite a while to return from Kel-Tec and even if it was a quick turn around I have zero faith in mail right now (USPS/UPS/FedEx).
I know cheap ammo sometimes has issues but out of two KSGs the same ammo only has issue in this one. The other one hasn’t been polished or anything and has had zero issues at all.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sorry I failed to read your first post correctly and didn't see that you're having failures to eject.

To be clear, are you having EXTRACTION or EJECTION problems?

Extraction problems are often caused in the Kel-Tec's by..........
Rough chamber, aggravated by cheap shells.
Extractor or extractor spring problems.
Check/polish the chamber to smooth up the roughness caused by the parkerizing in the barrel and chamber.
Kel-Tec parkerizes the barrel and they don't plug the bore during processing, so it can vary in roughness from gun to gun.
Try some better quality shells to insure it's not the ammo.

Inspect the extractor for sticky movement or not enough movement, broken/chipped extractor hook, weak or improperly installed spring.
The extractor should move freely under strong spring tension and should have enough range of movement to allow it to move in toward the shell rim to insure a good grip.

Ejection problems are caused by the extractor or malformed lifter arms/ejectors.
The Kel-Tec's use a modified John Browning design still used in the Ithaca Model 37.
The prongs of the lifter are also the ejectors.
On the underside of the two prongs are notches that act as the ejectors when the bolt pulls the shell to the rear.

If the extractor is defective or the prongs are bent out of shape the gun may fail to actually eject.
Inspect the prongs to insure they're not bent or deformed.
The lifter should stay up above the chamber until the bolt moves almost all the way to the rear before it drops down to catch the next shell from the magazine.
Usually the lifter prongs would have to be very deformed for ejection to fail, so the prime suspect is the extractor not holding the shell firmly during extraction and the shell is slipping out from the extractor before it can be ejected from the gun.

As for one gun functioning with a specific brand/type of ammo and another not, guns are very much individuals.
What works great in one gun can fail completely in another of the exact type.
So, a First Rule of trouble shooting a balky gun is to try different ammo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts