What is the best way to ship a pistol

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by nmshooter, Jul 7, 2008.

1. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Hi, I was curious what the best way to ship a pistol is.

In all of your experience, what is the best route to go when it comes to complying and reliability?

Thanks!

2. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005

3. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    [​IMG]

Seriously, if you read through the others and have questions let us know.  This subject always makes for an interesting discussion. This ought to be a KTOG stickie.

-Scott

4. The [highlight]BEST WAY [/highlight] is subjective.

As far as I am concerned- the best way for me if it is me selling a gun is to pay my local ffl to handle it for me. That cost me $50- but it keeps me from worrying about it.

I have only sent one gun off to be repaired by the gun maker... and I followed their instructions.

The funny/sad part about the repair job-- I came home one day and the gun was sitting on my doorstep. The box was clearly marked with the name of the gun maker on the box.

5. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    The [highlight]BEST WAY [/highlight] is subjective.

As far as I am concerned-  the best way for me if it is me selling a gun is to pay my local ffl to handle it for me.  That cost me $50- but it keeps me from worrying about it.
    [/quote]

And for the life of me I can't imagine why spending $50 is the best way when I can do it for $10.00.  But that is exactly what NAS meant by it being subjective!  

The only shipping problem I ever had was between FFLs when a FedEx employee tried to steal (accidently misplaced on his truck and accidently entered the wrong delivery info into the computer all at the same time) my previously owned Sub9.

-Scott (who wishes he had money to burn  :)  )

6. Scott-

I have shipped exactly two guns in my life.

I do not want to trust an internet gun guru to advise me on how to ship a gun. My locall FFL has his license on the line when he ships, and I trusted him to handle my transaction. Could I have saved $40 bucks? Maybe so......

Do I want to run the risk of violating some odd BATF rule and lose my right to have a gun? NO! Do I consider the extra $40 bucks money well spent? You bet!

If I was shipping a gun a week, I may consider another route.

Mitch- Who has no spare cash to bail himself out of jail after getting arrested for sending a gun the wrong way.

7. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Yeah, I got what everybody is saying and how subjective it is on mailing out a firearm. It seems like the law is a little vague and from looking around there really isn't quite the perfect way to do it. I will see how much extra my ffl guy will charge to ship it for me and look into that route and if it seems gouged, I'll look into overnighting it with insurance or something along those lines.

This does make for an interesting Topic...

8. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm

actually, quite clear.  if you choose to play games with the wording, that is on you, but I would not want to risk it.  There are exceptions for shipping to the factory for repair and upgrades, but that is all.

good luck.

Section B7, B8 and even B9

9. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Do as you wish, and I even recommend consulting your own attorney but I will say that B8 is an inaccurate summary of the applicable law.  Read the law itself:
    http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html

and the BATF itself has confirmed that B8 is incorrect:
    [​IMG]

Assuming cost and hassle are not at issue shipping through your FFL to another FFL is never a bad idea.  And if shipping to another FFL yourself notifying the common carrier that it is another weapon will for sure require you to pay overnight fees and some places may refused to accept the shipment.

Again, make your own decisions.  

-Scott

10. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    honestly, whatever.

I ship USPS, that is what my little piece of paper allows me to do. do as you wish. take your chances.

:-X

11. My point is made form the last few post......the guru's can not agree......so who am I to decided on my own?

I will continue to pay my FFL to do his job.

12. twyacht

twyacht New Member

May 19, 2008
    If its a warranty issue, get the RMA, (return merch. auth.) label from the manufacturer, if possible, take back to selling FFL dealer and have them ship from there.

I shipped a $1200.00 rifle this way, and they shipped back with nothing more than a signature.

My .02 cents, (pre-tax).

13. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    The federal law regarding transport of firearms is quite clear, as others have said, what muddies the waters is all the different restrictions added on by the carriers and the various interpretations of people reading those restrictions.

http://www.thegunzone.com/ship-guns.html

14. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Yet another site that blindly accepts and reprints the inaccurate synopsis of the law by BATF...

If you are shipping to the certain classes of people highlighted below you are specifically excluded from being required to notify the carrier it is a firearm.  The US Legislature wrote the law (TITLE 18, PART I, CHAPTER 44, § 922. Unlawful Acts), I only provide the highlights:

With very few exceptions, these exceptions are the only people most of us will be shipping a weapon to.  It is these exceptions that are most important to us and most often left out of the synopsis, making them inaccurate.

-Scott

15. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Ok, I did some research to mail out a firearm (pistol) from New Mexico to Iowa and this is the information that I have found:

USPS = no, have to be dealer or manufacturer
    UPS = have to ship out next day air. This varies between $65-112.
    Fedex = have to ship out priority over night. This cost $73.

You can also mail out the firearm and not claim it and this will be alot cheaper (around $10) but it is my understanding that this is [highlight]illegal[/highlight].

Another option is to pay an FFL to mail out your firearm which ever way he/she wishes since FFL holders are allowed to mail out however they wish.

Either way the firearm (if out of state) has to be sent to a FFL for proper backgroundcheck/etc.

This is what I have found...Any thoughts?

16. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    You are mostly right. UPS and FedEx have their own rules (NOT LAWS) so if they know it is a firearm then your costs above are probably accurate. But, and this is a BIG BUTT - IF YOU ARE SHIPPING TO ONE OF THE PEOPLE HIGHLIGHTED ABOVE - you are not required to inform them it is a firearm and can ship ground, 3 day, or whatever... Again, you are violating their rules but not a law.

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT even think of putting a hangun into the USMail by yourself. Federal Felony here. Go straight to jail do not pass go don't even think about getting out for $200 dollars.

And again, you are correct, you can pay an FFL to do this for you. This is a good option for many if they are willing to put up with more FFL paperwork and are not willing to break FedUp's rules.

Another big +1. A sale transfer (better word as $ is not a factor) across state lines has to go through an FFL in the receiver's state.

Sounds like you have a good grasp on the choices. Now you just get to decide where your comfort level is on what to do.

-Scott

17. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Just to toss a few cents in here. Yesterday I went down to my local UPS drop off point to ship a S2K to an FFL in Texas. Everything went fine til the little girl at the counter after asking if ti was fragile, etc. asked if it was a firearm. I of course had to answer yes with wide eyed innocence. ::)

She then informed me that they could not accept a gun from me under any circumstances it HAD to be an FFL shipping it. I kne she was wrong but did not argue. Said thank you very much & went home to regroup.

Point I'm making here in a round about way is this. IF you are going to circumvent UPS or FEDEX rules (not the law, the rules) don't use an address like the following (some details changed);

The Bullet Trap Shooting Range & Ammo Store

There was NO way I could pick part of that name & have it not scream GUN. CNC Industries is so much nicer. :D

Next time I MAY just put the person's name & the FFL address. I have to put their name on ther anyway so the FFL knows who to call to come pick it up. I will have to find another drop off point tho. For some reason folks tend to remember me. I don't THINK I'm being paranoid but then again...........

[​IMG]

18. jimwiggs

jimwiggs Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Cocoa, FL
    Jim, my FFL handles addresses like this:

BTSR&A Store
    123 Anystreet Ave
    Anytown, USA

Same thing for return address for his shop.

Jim

19. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Yup. If I ever wanted to do it that way I would use:

My Name C/O Bob Smith
    123 State Street....

I might then purchase and print out a label online so everything was already done except to just hand it to the person. If I really wanted to be discrete and avoid questions I might even just drop it in a UPS unmanned box somewhere.

-Scott

20. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    i usually ask people to have it addressed to:

virtual-rj
    111 first street
    anywhere, any state 12345

attn: joe schmoe on the package, or put a note in it as well so I know who it goes to when it is checked in.

ymmv.