What is the best ammo for p3at self defense?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by sam3pappy, May 4, 2009.

1. sam3pappy

sam3pappy New Member

May 4, 2009
    I've read SO much regarding the 380 round. Many feel it is not adequate for self defense, but I have a P3AT and that is what I carry most of the time. I know it won't hande +P ammo. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

BTW: I'm sure this topic has posted before but I'm new to the board.

2. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    What is the best ammo for p3at self defense? As many answers as ammos available I suppose. I like Remington Golden Saber. Seems like a lot like the Corbon DPX . I hear some go for the  Gold Dots and some would rather go for maximum penetration and use FMJs only yet some others interleave FMJ and JHP. You just need to decide what you like and what your gun shoots well.
    The P3AT forum seems to have a glitch right now, normally there are post stickied to the top and there are some good .380 ammo references there. Check back and you will find some good info (I believe Bobo posted the ammo thread)

3. rckrzy1

rckrzy1 Guest

May 4, 2009
    Today would more likely be WHAT AMMO you can find.

4. mastercrasher

mastercrasher Active Member

Sep 3, 2006
    Bellevue
    I agree, any thing you can find. I'm within driving distance of 8 gun stores in the Seattle area and nobody has any, haven't had any, don't know when they will get any. Maybe after the next election??? I'm saving up big short range rocks and small long range rocks. No .380?? Who would have thunk it.  Maybe Kel-Tec should open a ammo factory for their customers.
    FRUSTRATED. >:( >:( >:( >:(

5. alzona

alzona New Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Prescott, AZ
    I was just thinking, coincidentally, that if the ammo shortage continues we might see an upsurge in slingshot sales. I want to buy my wife a .380 but that's a lot of cash to put down on a worthless hunk of steel at this point.

6. sam3pappy

sam3pappy New Member

May 4, 2009
    I went to a gun show in Bradenton, FL, two weeks ago.... plenty of .380 ammo available---- AT $65 A BOX (50) !!! I'll wait. I have some on back order from Sportman Guide .... http:www.sportsmanguide.com .... I've been waiting for months.

7. Loganspawn

Loganspawn Guest

Apr 21, 2009
    Im in Federal Way message me I know a place but 2 box limet mag tec. If I hear from you soon I might be able to grab a couple for you if you can pick them up. $15.99 each box 50 plus tax. They are going fast I will give you my phone number when you message so leave yours. If possible you will want to come down ASAP they just came in a few days ago and almost gone.If I grab 2 and you grab 2 that will give you 4 boxs as Im good to go only rule is NO RESALE! We help each other and dont F others thats my rules.

8. mtuttle02

mtuttle02 New Member

May 4, 2009
    I’m not sure witch is the "best" to carry but there are several out there to choose from (when available).

I’m in Snoqualmie Wa- I know that West Coast Armory in Issaquah has a couple different .380 brands in stock- none for personal defense though :(

9. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Feeding/penitration/expansion. I expect that would have to be Hornaday Critical Defense. That's only a gut feeling tho

10. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    +1 The Hornady website shows the performance of this round. It was designed to fully upset and penetrate 10 inches. The added plus for thisround is that it was developed to work in the Ruger LCP. I carry it in my P3AT and my LCP.

11. wizard92

wizard92 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Florida
    +1 on the Hornady CD. I've put 2 boxes thru my p3at, who can afford more or find it.. Ran just fine.

12. jcp

jcp New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    I've been carrying Golden Sabers. I'm considering switching given recent posts regarding them not having enough speed to expand out of the 3AT. I'm now considering the Corbon and Hornady options, guess I'll get started on my research.

13. mhiland

mhiland New Member

Nov 25, 2008
    When I bought my P-3AT last November, the guy behind the counter at my LGS, recommended (actually he grabbed a box from behind the counter and said, "this is what you need") Federal Hydra Shock for my defensive load.  So, that's what I've been carrying.

I've been considering switching to DPX or Hornady Critical Defense.  Has anyone seen any reliable tests with the Hornady yet (other than what they put on their own site)?

14. edpm3

edpm3 New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    I did a wet newspaper test with Federal Hydra-Shok and Golden Saber. The Federals had the best penetration but did not open. The Golden Sabers penetrated about an inch less but opened fully. I offer this not as a recommendation but as a single, unscientific data point that leads me to carry with Golden Sabers until I get a chance to test the Hornady Critical Defense.

15. alioop

alioop Banned

Aug 28, 2008
    I've been there myself. This really irks me. It gets my shorts all in a knot. I wonder if we are being taken for a ride. True there is some questions about what action our current administration might take. But there has been no action taken YET. I think they can't because it would be political suicide.  And they know it. So why is there such a run on ammo and why is the price so darn high when you do find ammo? And it sees to apply to ammo of all calibers. Prices so high I can't go to the shooting range without getting a loan to do so.

Hummm? I wonder if I can get into that stimulus package thing? Of course this would be purely in the interest of stimulating the economy mind you.

16. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Corbon has a wide hollow point with an abrupt. Just working the slide by hand I hung the gun up almost every round. It just isn't built for our short feed ramp.
    Golden Saber is the second best feeding ammo for our gun. Some people like FMJ just for your resoning but if the hotter Golden Saber (hotter than Remingtons regular line JHP) is a great feeder but it goes FMJ, then it's a fine FMJ. Anyway, the Golden Saber will open up better than Remingtons standard .380 JHP. Hornaday first, Golden Saber a not too distant second.

17. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Oh. Now that the rest of the web site has reincarnated itself (was gone for a day or so) you can do a search for the best ammo for the 380 as %50 of the post about the 380 are about ammo effectiveness or feeding issues.

18. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I was finally able to get to the range with my first generation P3AT to test function with Hornadys Critical Defense load. Fed and fired 3 mags worth flawlessly, along with some Speer Gold Dots for comparison. Looks like the Hornady will become my new carry load.

Jim R

19. Mamba

Mamba Active Member

Apr 5, 2007
    >Looks like the Hornady will become my new carry load.

+1...for the P3AT and the Bersa Thunder. Of course if I have to SHOOT any of it now I'll be SOL since it's nowhere to be found...bought my original few boxes from Midway back when.

20. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Its been my 380 carry from the time I first shot HCD.