What if Kel Tec offered a "Performance Tuned" P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by abuck50, Jul 13, 2009.

1. abuck50

abuck50 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    What if Kel tec offered a P3AT that already had a "fluff and Buff". Maybe it would have a hard chrome or stainless slide. How many here would pay extra and how much extra over the standard P3AT?

Craig

2. Robert357

Robert357 New Member

May 11, 2009
    WA, the State
    Re: What if Kel Tec offered a "Performance Tuned"

I thought that I read that after a certain serial number that new P3AT's had the factory equivalent of a fluff and buff before they were put in the box.

Outside of using a first class molly grease on the slide, rails and certain trigger parts and oiling the rest, I haven't done anything to my 4 month old P3AT and it has not had any FTF or FTE's. The gun shop owner told me to just clean it, oil it and grease it regularly and it should be just fine.

3. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008

I might pay some extra for stainless but not a lot. My P3AT is for function not for looks. Although the corrosion resistance aspect of stainless is appealing.

4. norfdet

norfdet New Member

May 27, 2005

I would like to see one with an aluminum or metal frame. a stainless slide would also be nice.

5. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008

:eek: Uhh?  My P3AT has an aluminum frame already.

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

Hey Norf - long time - no see.
    Yep, all KT pistols have an aluminum block frame. It is the only the grip that is polymer.

In terms of fit and finish, I think the current P3AT is much unproved over the earlier models. One of the things on that old KT survey want list was the option for upgraded parts for some guns. I think that would be a nice option. IMO, the first thing they need to do is make a metal mag catch like they did for the PF9. An extra capacity mag (9 or 10 rounds) like the one for the P32 would be a nice option on the range or when carrying other than in the pocket. Other than that, I can't think of anything I'd pay much extra for. During this past weekend at the Kansas Shoot, I shot my 1st gen P32, 2nd gen P3AT, a P11, a subbie and SU16. Over hundreds of rounds fired, all went of without a hitch. It's hard to improve on perfection. ;)

7. goodbrewing

goodbrewing New Member

Oct 2, 2008

I think they have the bugs worked out now and I wouldn't pay extra for anything ecept maybe the metal mag catch. Anything else will just add weight or bulk and that defeats the reason I went with the P3.  I don't mind taking a new gun apart and getting to know it when I get it home. Anything machined can have a burr or small imperfection that may slip by so taking the time to clean it up, look it over and lube it with what I like is a must on something I am trusting my life to. A big thank you to all that took the time to put up the great tutorials and videos on this site to help us all.
    If you aren't up to doing a F&B yourself you can always pay one of the qualified people  in the trading post or find one where you live. It is always better to have someone taking the time to do your gun right not doing a factory set number on an assembly line.

8. SweetKnuckles

SweetKnuckles New Member

Feb 14, 2009

I don't think performance tuned is the appropriate term.

Fluff and buff is a workaround for flawless performance, which I expect when I buy a firearm. Hopefully they've instituted this with current models, if not, their tails are hanging pretty far out in the wind.

OTOH if performance tuned came with a better sighting system or grip options, I'd consider paying extree. :)

9. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007

I'd pay a few bucks extra for digital camo and a selector that allowed for full auto... Hey, I'm a former Marine what did you think I'd want? :)

Take care...

10. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
  11. CrackerKen

CrackerKen New Member

Apr 23, 2009

A stainless slide would be good, especially if it was blackened like a S&W M&P. I don't need pretty and shiny stuff, just durability and rust resistant. Mine is parkerized, and has a flat or subdued look that's good for concealed carry.

My P-3AT (K70##) was probably made in April or May 09. When I had mine apart for the first time last night, I noticed that the ramp was polished shiny and slick. The hammer interface was smooth too, as were the rails. I didn't find anything I'd want to mess with. I gave it and oil change and lube job, and put it back together. Maybe they are indeed taking care of the F&B these days.

12. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas

10-4
    http://www.goldenloki.com/gallery.htm
    http://www.goldenloki.com/gunsmith.htm

might be a good option for some  ;)

13. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008

10-4
    http://www.goldenloki.com/gallery.htm
    http://www.goldenloki.com/gunsmith.htm

might be a good option for some  ;)[/quote]
    +1 I highly recommend GoldenLoki. He's good people and does a great job at what he does! ;D I'll use him again in the future.

KTs are a niche firearm. They fit that niche perfectly. As such, it isn't very likely they're going to much of what some have suggested they do. I for one like my P3AT just like it is. I can take care of the rest myself.

14. norfdet

norfdet New Member

May 27, 2005

I guess I should have said an aluminum grip, to me the whole assembly minus the slide is the frame! I was thinking of something that would offer a bit more weight and perhaps interchangeable back straps.

15. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX

heey norfdet, long time no see. good to see ya

16. norfdet

norfdet New Member

May 27, 2005

Thanks! I started carrying my P3AT again and decided to check in here to see what the latest buzz was with them.

17. kt4me

kt4me New Member

Feb 9, 2006

I guess when your claim to fame is the "worlds lightest .380" making a move to add weight is not going to be at the top of your list.

One thing I did do to my P-3At was put a Hogue Jr rubber grip on it. I cynched it all the way us so the back was just under the slide tong and the front just under the trigger guard, then trimed and area for the mag catch and trimmed of the bottom. This left a big air space at the back just under the slide. I used the excess rubber that was trimmed from the bottom and neatly folded it into a strip and stuffed it to fill that hole, that made a much thicker and more flexible backstrap that absorbs some of the recoil impact and eliminates the bite of those darn molded diamonds on the grip grabbing the palm of my hand. This make the gun much more comfortable to shoot and to me a lot more controllable ... and is a CHEAP mod!

18. morganfd9

morganfd9 Guest

I would pay a Lil extra for stainless, just to prevent corrosion, but not alot. As stated earlier it's for function not looks.

19. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX

save the money at the purchase and send it to GoldenLoki.

:D

20. norfdet

norfdet New Member

May 27, 2005

How about a P3AT with a double stack magazine but a magazine like the H&K P7's where it tapers down to a single stack the last 3 rounds or so which causes a slightly slimmer grip than a normal double stack magazine.