What if a LEO see's pocket clip and back of gun?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by XsYang, Jul 4, 2009.

1. XsYang

XsYang New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    What if a LEO is familiar with the belt clip on the Kel Tec and they see it and the back of the gun hanging on someone’s pocket? Most people think it is a clip for a knife but since they are aware of it and they know it is a gun, is the gun considered not concealed because they can see part of it?  CCW is all about being concealed.

Thanks

2. Mr._E

Mr._E Guest

Re: What if LEO see's pocket clip and back of gun?

If a LEO can see and recognize you pistol: It's not concealed. Chances are the LEO will simply discretely ask to see your CWP, but it's at the LEOs discretion as to whether or not you are brandishing.

Obviously different states have different (open carry) laws.

3. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008

Clip it in your waistband and pull enough shirt out to cover the gun. It's that simple. I've stood next to LEOs who never suspected a thing.

4. Re: What if LEO see's pocket clip and back of gun?

Concealed is concealed. In Louisiana, if I am carrying concealed and approached by LEO in an official manner, I have a DUTY TO DECLARE and he has the option to search my person. If approached by LEO to chat about the weather, I have no duty.

5. abuck50

abuck50 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio

I myself would never carry it without a holster. It isn't easy for me to draw using a clip and the trigger isn't protected. My CCW instructor was demonstrating the clip when he sold me my P3AT. He dropped it down his pant leg. LOL. He was trying to sell me a clip. I waited till I could order a left hand holster. I bet Plaxico Burris wished he was using a holster!

Craig

6. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX

if someone sees it, then it is not concealed is it?

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

I asked the Deputy that signed my permit that question.  His reply was IF he was frinedly chatting (like inline at liquor store) and he saw a weapon that a person was trying to conceal, he would proceed as if It were a criminal act and use approate force.  

conceal means conceal

If you conceal carry in such a manner that LEOs can see the weapon, you might want to get one of those CCW Badges and wear it too ;D

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1241183327

8. XsYang

XsYang New Member

Jun 24, 2009

Thanks for the responses so far. I also don't like the idea of carrying without a holster when I use the clip so when I do I keep it in a pocket holster and then clip it on to my pocket. I have also heard that in some states your gun has to be concealed in a holster to carry it legally.

9. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
  10. kt4me

kt4me New Member

Feb 9, 2006

Somehow I don't see the logic of having the gun in a holster AND then clipped to the pocket. But then to me the whole clip makes no sense for the reason stated, it fails to cover the trigger. The only logical reason I can see for using the clip is to keep from spending the money for a holster, in which case just buy a saturday night special in .22 and throw it in your pocket, the searing pain in your leg will be similar.

Get a GOOD pocket holster that draws well, stays in place and is always fully concealed. I recommend the www.pocketholsters.com holster. It is carried with the wallet backer OUT so it always looks like a a wallet and the holster stays in the pocket when drawing. To top it all of, it is REAL LEATHER like holsters should be. I've carried my p-3AT in one for five years and love it. I also have one for my PM-9 and just got one for my LCP with laser and they are just as nice.

In Florida, concealed is concealed and open carry is illegal. Showing a part of the gun or printing can be considered open carry, so why take the chance?? If you going to pocket carry ... DO IT RIGHT!

11. XsYang

XsYang New Member

Jun 24, 2009

The pocket holster that I have it in covers the trigger and will stay in the pocket when I take the gun out.  I have a leather holster (IWB) that you can use and still tuck your shirt in, and an ankle holster.  I have ordered a Desantis Superfly, that should be here anyday now.  I have only had this gun for 2 weeks and I am experimenting how I plan on carrying it on a regular basis.  

12. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008

I prefer IWB carry with my horsehide galco U.S.A. holster. I can't stand having 12 or 14 ounces of gun sitting in my pocket. To me it's IWB or no carry at all. These little Kel-Tec's are surprisingly comfortable IWB with a proper holster and a strong belt.

The pocket holster that I have it in covers the trigger and will stay in the pocket when I take the gun out.  I have a leather holster (IWB) that you can use and still tuck your shirt in, and an ankle holster.  I have ordered a Desantis Superfly, that should be here anyday now.  I have only had this gun for 2 weeks and I am experimenting how I plan on carrying it on a regular basis.  
    [/quote]

13. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008

Homemade trigger guards aren't that hard to make. I've done it; so have others. The clip is what I use when I'm carrying my PF-9 while wearing a polo shirt. I use my High Noon tuckable when wearing an oxford shirt. I also have a clip on my P3AT for times when my wardrobe won't allow me to carry my PF-9 or to use a holster. The clip is just one more tangible option that allows me to carry concealed in ant circumstance and thus to always be protected from ne'er-do-wells.
    [edit]Edited to add: Concealed is concealed. If anyone can just walk up to you and see your gun, it ain't concealed. We have a grave responsibility to use appropriate caution. If a LEO can see it a BG can too. As my granddad always said, "That ain't good son; that ain't good."[/edit]

14. smokeyo

smokeyo New Member

Jul 4, 2009

I would think that most LEO's would recognize a holster clip even without seeing the weapon or sometimes even assume that a knife clip is a holster clip (remember they weart them too). I would think that most LEO's in states that have concealed carry would not react the way the Deputy states and assume that a criminal act is taking place....What if the person being observed is an off duty LEO? I would think most would look at the circumstances and actions of the person who is carrying to decide the appropriate action. Some states may be very strict on keeping it concealed and that could be a different problem but here in TN we give carry permits it does not have to be concealed.

15. gbm5170

gbm5170 New Member

Mar 7, 2006

XsYang, what state are you in?  Chances are good that you live in an open carry state anyway and if you do then worryng about someone guessing that you have a gun a moot point.

See OpenCarry.org for information on your state:

www.opencarry.org

16. XsYang

XsYang New Member

Jun 24, 2009

Thanks OC4me but I do not live in an open carry state.

Since they sell these pocket clips I was curious if anyone had a problem with a LEO seeing it. Also, I have heard that some states require that a gun be concealed and "in" a holster.

17. XsYang

XsYang New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Re: What if a LEO see's pocket clip and back of gu

I emailed Kel-Tec to ask if they knew of anyone that had an incident like this and they said that they have not. They also said that your gun should be completely concealed at all times!

18. Re: What if a LEO see's pocket clip and back of gu

Kel-Tec offering legal advise in an e-mail? :eek:

19. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006

JFB are you in LA, too? (the state, of course, not the city) :eek:

20. XsYang

XsYang New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Re: What if a LEO see's pocket clip and back of gu

Kel-Tec offering legal advise in an e-mail?   :eek:[/quote]

Copy & Pasted:

"have had no reports of any problems, but your weapon needs to be 100% concealed."