What gun did you buy today?

Discussion in 'The Counter' started by haertig, Feb 27, 2016.

1. haertig

haertig Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Colorado
    A fellow KTOG'er suggested we start a thread like this. Since he knew I just bought a new gun today, he suggested I start things off. So here goes:

Today I bought a Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory .22LR pistol for $379 at Bass Pro Shops.

[edit] Added some slightly better daylight pictures - they more accurately show how it looks - a nice brushed stainless steel. That wasn't evident in the first flash picture that was super contrasty. [/edit]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  2. haertig

Jun 14, 2008
    Colorado
    Close enough to "today":

Two days ago, I bought a Ruger 22/45 Lite .22LR pistol for $439 at Cabela's.

[edit] Added a pic with its new Burris Fastfire III micro-red-dot sight mounted. [/edit]

Attached Files:

3. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Neat. Can I comment on your guns, or only if I've bought one today too? The SW looks old. Not used or worn, just an old style. Some one that might have a bit of a 'buck rogers ray gun' thing going on would like it, me thinks. Will you do up a range report for these two also? Maybe link it to the compilation thread?

Congo rats on the new guns. You know I like some big boomers, but playing with .22s is a blast. Enjoy.

Lop

Last weeks gun purchase:

http://www.thektog.org/forum/f100/range-report-ruger-9e-9mm-265338/

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      48.4 KB
      Views:
  4. haertig

Jun 14, 2008
    Colorado
    Of course. I'd think comments and discussion would be more than welcome in a thread like this! "I got this new gun today!" is a great starter for a conversation. But as the sum total of an entire conversation, that would be really boring.

I wanted this gun for the favorable reviews I read about how it shoots, disassembles, is modifiable, etc.

Aesthetics were not one of it's draws for me, that's for sure. Some may view the gun as pretty, but personally I'd classify it to be quite homely. [edit] I will say that when you're looking at a picture, I consider this gun ugly. But when you're holding the gun in your hand, it does not seem quite so ugly. I'm not sure why that is. It could be that the heft and feel of the gun impress your brain that this is a quality item, so you kind of forget that it's ugly. Or it could be that when holding it you tend to hold it in a shooting or low-ready position, thus you don't see it's profile. And it's got a cute butt from the rear view![/edit]

Will do.

5. haertig

Jun 14, 2008
    Colorado
    BTW, for the purposes of this thread, "today" means "recently".

6. darkwriter77

darkwriter77 Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Apache Junction, AZ
    Didn't buy any new pew-pews this weekend, just some ammo, and a plain OEM synthetic stock for my Mossberg. I came close to picking up one of those Victory pistols exactly like yours yesterday, though. But I did snag one of these last weekend:

[​IMG]

I'm once again at my personal self-imposed inventory "limit," so now I'm doing that silly thing where I look at my collection and start finding excuses to sell/trade off one or more of my pieces to make room to pick up something else. It's a sickness, I tell ya'. A silly, expensive sickness. :p

7. haertig

Jun 14, 2008
    Colorado
    Nice SP101 ! I've wanted one of those ever since I shot guru2sum's at Phideaux's two years ago.

8. phideaux

phideaux Fido for short Supporter

Feb 8, 2011
    West Ky
    Ok, since you opened it up a couple weeks,
    Ill show what I picked up in the last couple weeks.
    The CZ could become my favorite rifle if it shoots like it is reputed to.
    If it aiht crappy weather , its 40 mph wind days. I'm dying to try it.

100_5729.jpg

100_5726.jpg

100_5693 - Copy - Copy.jpg

100_5695.jpg

100_5704.jpg

100_5702.jpg

personally I do like the old luger look of that S&W Victory.:)

Jim

9. haertig

Jun 14, 2008
    Colorado
    I think it's good that we don't all have identical tastes. I am definitely warming to the looks of the SW22. The only things that initially caught me as "un-aesthetic" are the beluga-whale-hump on the top and the dog-tucking-its-tail curve at the lower back of the grip. However, that tucked-tail fits my hand really well and I'm starting to like the beluga a little more. But I'm anxious to see how it shoots. Looks don't really matter to me on this gun.

Attached Files:

10. 1A2KEY601

1A2KEY601 Active Member Supporter

Oct 15, 2012
    Minnesota
    One of my brothers came to Mpls. last Sunday looking to buy a S&W 22 Victory. Tried Cabela's and then a nearby Gander Mtn., not at either place. The next day I tried a small LGS and they had one in stock. $379.99. Cant afford another gun at the moment and my BuckMark feels just as good to me, so maybe some day. Have to wait to see what kind of tax return will be coming this year.

11. jonnin

jonnin Active Member

Sep 28, 2010
    The victory looks a lot like the 22-A etc family. I had one (of the 22a) and it was very accurate. Its probably the least expensive of the "good" fixed barrel target 22s but just as accurate and quite well made. If its the same family, you gotta replace the recoil softening shock absorber thing every so often. Super nice grips, for sure.

12. WPhilB47

WPhilB47 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2013
    RGV, Texas
    Sort of like having an ugly woman in your hand? Feeling is always better than looking.....;)

13. darkwriter77

darkwriter77 Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Apache Junction, AZ
    I guess that would make the S&W Victory kinda like the moped of pistols. :D

14. 850sub

850sub Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Pensacola
    I thought we had a" look what followed me home " thread already, but this title is more clear ...
    Ive been buying one or two guns a month lately, and if not a gun then restocking ammo.
    This month (so far) I have purchased:
    Walther P-22 military. An o.d. version of their .22 pistol
    S&W, M&P40
    S&W, 4006
    I have not shot the Smiths. But I cant wait for the old school/New school shootout! (Is it OK if I put those two words together?) :eek:

15. fez

fez Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    florida
    I thought I bought an Anzio 20mm but then I woke up.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ft2j6J4NcY[/ame]

16. WPhilB47

WPhilB47 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2013
    RGV, Texas
  17. mtn_chef

mtn_chef Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    nc mountains
    Got one of these for some critter control. First .410 for me... It's like a shotgun but smaller.

Attached Files:

18. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Ok, I'll give. How is a gun that shoots shot shells not a shotgun?

19. Grayhound

Grayhound Active Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Indiana

I think he was referring to that shotgun as being loaded for the 410 and not what people normally get shotguns in like a 12 or 20 gauge. What about the 410/45 LC revolvers from Smith or Taurus? Are they revolvers when loaded with pistol rounds and shotguns when loaded with 410? Inquiring minds want to know Lop :)

20. haertig

Jun 14, 2008
    Colorado
    I think the .410's have two main uses: (1) for recoil sensitive folks or children, and (2) for expert shooters (the shot pattern is really small). They are harder to hit your target with. I have one (the .410 came as a second barrel to my Rossi .22LR). While .410 does kick far less than 12ga, I was still surprised at how much it does kick. I guess since the shells are so small I was expecting non-existent recoil. But it does recoil, though not painfully so. Could be because my gun is so small and lightweight (youth sized stock, less than 5lbs, with no recoil pad). I've only shot mine on one shooting outing. I bought the gun for the .22LR barrel, the .410 came with it in the package, but I didn't buy it for that.