Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Re: What gun did you buy,fire,&decide rt then to s

My "Buffalo Plains" H&R rimfire revolver. It felt like a Tonka truck to me and I thought it was an RG at the time. :eek:

·
Registered
4,412 Posts

hey pancho, you can just send some of those traders my way... ;)

only got rid of one, XD 40 in 5". turned around and got another in 4". love the 4", don't miss the 5 at all.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts

FN 5.7 5.7 X 28
FN Hi-Power (Argentine) 9mm
Beretta 9000S .40
HK P2000 .40

These were the only ones I sold right away.

I have sold 3 others, but had them a pretty long while before selling. :cool:

·
Banned
41 Posts

I bought an LCP, and sold it after taking it to the range once. I just didn't like it at all.

Cheers,

Kennith

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

With guns it is very much to each his own, but I'd wondered which guns would most often not live up to expectations and actually disappoint.

Thanks for the responses.

-Chitty

·
Registered
438 Posts

Was given these along with a couple of gems from a neighbors grandfather, sold the three below at a garage sale for $170.00 and put it toward an SKS.

Hopkins and Allen .32 revolver, rusty barrel, nickle plate almost non-existant (pre-WWII pistol)

Besuigi Bros, Eibar Spain, .38 long cartridge which is no longer made but you could reload for it (pre-WWII pistol), good condition but the hammer was really thin like it had been ground or something

Harrington and Richardson .32 hammerless break barrel, fired it and it shot pretty good but it had ejector issues

The gems were

Nazi marked CZ27, .32 semiauto

Florida Firearms .25 semi auto, I made the wood grips for it.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts

panoz77 said:

Hopkins and Allen .32 revolver, rusty barrel, nickle plate almost non-existant (pre-WWII pistol)

That one looks eerily similar (right down to the grips) to an old Colt .38 (pre-SPL) Police Positive I have. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sorry. I put this post in the wrong discussion.

Reactions: RAT76

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
had a small size beretta px4 ... they advertised a rotating barrel, but when it came out, it didn't have the extra mechanism (later they tell us its only in the giant models) and it was wide enough to make 2 pistols.

A S&W airweight or whatever the word is 22 mag cracked after just a few cylinders full.

p40: my hand hurt for 2 days from pulling the trigger after my second practice session.

mini-14: less accurate than most catapults.

as far as pulled bullets in a revolver go, lighter rounds will shoot flatter longer and are less prone to it. Its the crimp, not the bullet shape, that does it. They MUST be crimped correctly if shooting high power stuff that can self pull. If you think about it, it works just like a bullet puller... inertia from recoil. Sometimes stuff isnt well made .. I bought some 'high quality' 44 mag defense loads .. and they would NOT fit in the magazine, just slightly too long and out of spec.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts

That being said ... I've had wayyyyyyyyyyy too many guns over the years, myself, that I've bought, played with at the range just once (sometimes not even that), and then turned around and sold/traded in not long after. Most of 'em were "it seemed like a good idea at the time" purchases or impulse buys; other ones were guns I thought were a lot more practical and/or desirable until I actually found out I don't like they way they shoot and/or carry.

·
Registered
482 Posts

That being said ... I've had wayyyyyyyyyyy too many guns over the years, myself, that I've bought, played with at the range just once (sometimes not even that), and then turned around and sold/traded in not long after. Most of 'em were "it seemed like a good idea at the time" purchases or impulse buys; other ones were guns I thought were a lot more practical and/or desirable until I actually found out I don't like they way they shoot and/or carry.
Great graphic. This one was brought back by accident, and now it has new life. Talk about resurrection.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
No offense intended by the pic, of course. It was the least AD&D- or Pokemon-ish meme I could find on a whim. The others all looked like...

I sometimes think about how much money I've wasted/lost over the years by purchasing guns, shooting them at one range session (or never at all), and then ditching them. And then I realize I could've probably bought a brand new motorcycle or car or something with that money instead. And then I die a little bit inside. And then I think about all the money I've also wasted on buying cars and motorcycles and then selling them off at a loss or trading them in for other ones. And then I die a little bit more inside. And then I drink beer. And then I think about all the money I've wasted over the years on beer. And ... damn, I'm terrible with money...

·
Registered
482 Posts
No offense intended by the pic, of course.
I don't think anyone was offended. I think it's great (and funny) when these old threads come to life. I just thought that was the perfect graphic.

·
Registered
230 Posts
A couple months ago I bought a used Tauras Spectrum after doing my research. About half the users on FaceBook said it worked flawless and half siad they had to send it back. Now I don’t normally buy used pistols; revolvers - yes, pistols - no. But I’ve been looking for this gun for a long time and this used one looked like it had been fired very little. So, against my better judgement, I bought it. Initially it worked fairly well with blazer but when I tried other ammo none of the brands I tried ran well. Failures to feed and light primer strikes were the most common failures.
It was an easy decision to trade it in on the next gun purchase. And it reinforced my belief that when you buy a used gun you are more often than not, buying someone else’s problems. BTW - I don’t think it was the shooter trying to master a sub-compact gun, as I have owned 3 Ruger LCPs and they’ve all been reliable enough to carry.

·
Registered
8,658 Posts

I've never bought a gun I didn't like. I did sell the first gun I ever bought (Springfield '03 bought in '74). Got it back a few months ago. ;)

I've sold a few. KT S2K, sold to a friend as I have several SUB9s now. KT P3AT, same friend. I switched to P32 & he LOVED the 380 at first shot.

Other than that just a couple of SUB9s I bought & resold to friends. Bought them with that in mind. Didn't shoot either of them.
Of course 5 months after I posted this I picked up a Ruger MK-II w/scope. After trying scope, red dot, irons sights, I could not hit the side of a barn with this thing. Grip angle, bolt slamming back, don't know. Traded it to a friend on one of our periodic gun deals & he couldn't hit a thing either. He traded it off on an AR or something.

Nice gun just not right for me...at all.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I have for several years now been buying gunbroker deals or firearms people around me need to move for financial reasons. I buy them, shoot them and then decide if I have a place for them. Several guns I shot a couple of magazines thru and just was not excited about. I made an effort a couple years back to reduce the number of various calibers in the collection. I regret moving all my .45 acp pistols out. I can't shoot 2 boxes of that caliber with out the carpel tunnel syndrome acting up for the next week. So I figured since I'd finally found my ultimate 9mm 1911 I'd be ok with this idea.
I do Miss my full size 1911.
There's a lot to be said about having put a bunch of rounds thru a gun and being able to hit easily with it. I upgraded my marlin .22 mag bolt action to the stainless version. Same thing, both are great guns but the old blued one I basically gave to my brother just shot better.
Most recently my taurus tcp 738 died. I enjoyed carrying that gun and after spending quite some time and ammo getting good with it, I'm just mad that it is no longer being supported by Taurus and they offered to replace it with the spectrum.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That would be the XD .40 subcompact. Bore axis too high & a very floppy recoil impulse. I found it hard on the wrists. Never had any other pistol as bad...

·
Registered
548 Posts
Very old thread, but some recent activity...

Agree with those who said too many guns bought and sold over the decades.

However, in the spirit of the thread - those that just "didn't work out".

Twenty-five years ago a certain Lew Horton Model 29, 2-3/4 inch 44mag with K frame round butt. I got it from a customer of mine at the range, kept it two months. Kicked brutally. My 60+ year old middle finger's second knuckle remembers that brute on cold days. It made the rounds from employee to employee, each thinking it would be cool. I finally went into the case and some unfortunate buyer ended up with it.....

Recently, a Walter PPQ45. Bought one of those, bought a Ruger American 45, bought an FNX45... I'm a sucker for 45acp. You name it, from 1911 to Charter PitBull... I've got (or had) it in 45acp if its made. The Walter was a great gun. Felt fantastic in the hand. Accurate as any for normal pistol shooting purposes. Trigger was also fantastic. Too fantastic in fact. They advertise a light trigger, crisp trigger, and it was. Very light, very crisp. So light and crisp that I basically didn't feel safe with for defensive purposes. It wasn't a real "target" pistol, and so it was basically either a "cool to have Walther" or a range-toy. It got sold.

Other than that, I can only remember two Colt products - both conversions. One was a 9mm conversion for 45acp govt model, the other was a Service Ace 22 "conversion" (top end only). Both were made in the very, very dark days of Colt's manufacturing, both sucked royally, and didn't shoot worth a crap. Jam-O-Matics each, not due to feeding, but due to poor manufacturing. The slide had a mis-cut breech-face and upper locking lug area on the 9, and the Ace floating chamber was way too loose in the barrel, resulting in bang bang jam, clean, bang bang jam, clean.... no matter the ammo used. Colt was unsympathetic, so those got sold quick with "may need tuning" warnings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Only ones for me were Ruger P89 and P94, just never felt good in my hand. Then a SW SD40VE, another one that just never felt good, i almost didn't buy it but teller myself into it.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts