What gives with the hole in the stock

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by dockonrad, Mar 5, 2009.

1. dockonrad

dockonrad New Member

Mar 4, 2009
    I bought the SU 22 rifle yesterday. Actually I traded a 1911 1a pistol for it. I kept looking at the rifle for a week before I bought it. It's neat and unusual. Just my kind of stuff. What is the purpose of the hole on the underside of the stock? The instruction book is no help. Hope to shoot it this weekend.
    Actually I got more than the rifle for the 1911. I also bought a Taurus snubbie in 327 Federal. I had to throw a couple of $ extra but it's worth it to me.
    Dockonrad

2. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    The big hollow cavity on the underside of the stock holds .223 mags on the .223 version, the SU-16. The .22 LR magazines for the SU-22 don't fit. :(

I'm not sure if that's what you meant by "the hole on the underside of the stock".

WELCOME TO KTOG!!!

3. shep854

shep854 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    What L4E said. In fact, there's a KTOG member who found two SU16 mags in the stock of his NIB SU22! Sadly, there weren't any in my SU22's stock when I got her back :'( .

4. wmailhos

wmailhos New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    None in my new SU-22 either..... :'(

5. shep854

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    ...and I put the A stock back on Sue Too (I had a C stock on her) before sending her back! :-/

(Some people just can't take a hint :D)

6. dockonrad

dockonrad New Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Thanks, you answered my question.
    Dockonrad

7. shep854

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    And have some fun, too! :)

We DO take questions very seriously, but like to enjoy ourselves in the process.

8. peorie1

peorie1 New Member

Jun 29, 2009
    I'm glad I found this post. I've been trying everyway to get the mags to fit in my SU22 and I haven't been able to figure it out. Now I know. I thought they were suppose to fit. That's one reason I bought 2 more clips for the gun. Oh well!!

9. shep854

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    (Cue Mission: Impossible theme music)

"Your mission, Mr Peorie1, should you choose to accept it, is to do your best to wear those magazines out by shooting your SU22."

(Cut Mission: Impossible theme music)

;D

10. peorie1

peorie1 New Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Shep,
    I would love to be able to wear those magazines out, but first I've got to get it shooting right. Between the misfeeding and the firing pin not reloading sometimes, I've struggled to get one mag shot thru it. But I'm working with it. :eek:

11. shep854

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    What ammo are you using? It's been posted (by ktwm, a Kel-Tec employee, no less!) and I found out first-hand, that the SU22 simply hates cheap .22 ammo, such as Remington Thunderbolt.

12. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    My SU-22 hates cheap Remington Golden Bullet or any other .22 ammo with loose roll crimped bullets that turn and can cause the cartridge to bend in the middle, but it loves cheap Federal and cheapest Blazer (yes, lead round nose) ammo.

13. peorie1

peorie1 New Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Well I started out trying the CCI high velocity, then the remington subsonic. The remington did better than the CCI. I'm now talking to the gunsmith at kel tec about the problems. He's gave me a few ideas, so i'm going to try them. I have 3300 rounds of federal coming, so I hope it likes them LOL!! Patience and time is all it will take ::)

14. shep854

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Interesting. Hi-vels are what the SU generally loves, from what I've read. I admire your patience. It's great that K-T will bring it back home if phone-smithing doesn't work.

15. Mistersteve53

Mistersteve53 New Member

Aug 9, 2009
    I just recently got my SU-22 and have been running the Winchester XPert HV High Velocity ammo thru it. For sure I had some jamming problems as well as getting the the bullets bent in the middle. I bought these since they were on sale. I'll be trying the Federals for sure. I picked up two of the "slim" mag's for it thinking they would fit into the stock. No Chance. Thanks for the info.