What else should I try? Still geting FTE's .

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by imq707s, Nov 2, 2007.

1. imq707s

imq707s New Member

Dec 8, 2005
    I've had my P3-AT for about a year now. I've probably fired 250 rounds through it. About every 3rd or 4th magazine, I'll get a FTE (fail to eject). I've tried the "fluff and bluff" stuff, and I've also tried several other types of ammo. Is there anything else I can do? Do I need to call Kel-Tec and see if they can send me a new extractor? I will try to get some pics the next time it happens.

This in my everyday CCW weapon, and 1 FTE every 4 magaines is not acceptable. I'm just about ready to trade it in for something else.

Anyone have any ideas?

Please help..

Thanks

2. imq707s

imq707s New Member

Dec 8, 2005
    Why is my P3AT having problems...FTE's?

I've had my P3-AT for about a year now. I've probably fired 250 rounds through it. About every 3rd or 4th magazine, I'll get a FTE (fail to eject). I've tried the "fluff and bluff" stuff, and I've also tried several other types of ammo. Is there anything else I can do? Do I need to call Kel-Tec and see if they can send me a new extractor? I will try to get some pics the next time it happens.

This in my everyday CCW weapon, and 1 FTE every 4 magaines is not acceptable. I'm just about ready to trade it in for something else.

Anyone have any ideas?

Please help..

Thanks

3. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Lets get a few more pieces of info before trying to answer.  What ammo are you using?  Does it FTE with anyone else shooting it?  What happens with the shell (stay in the barrel, stovepipe or ???)  How clean is it when you start?  How heavily lubed is it when you start (and are you GREASING the rails and hammer slide?)  Are you using multiple magazines?  Is the bolt on your extractor tight?  Is your ejector still in place? What kind of grip are you using? If you set it down when it fails and come back 10 minutes later will it continue to fail or go another 3-4 mags?

While I agree with you that this is not an acceptable failure limit and just as an aside, if it is always the 3rd or 4th magazine you have at least 14 good shots first everytime and that is far more than you will need in a defensive situation.  But I do have to ask - if this has been going on for a year why just now trying to fix it and why are you carrying it everyday if you are not confident in it?

-Scott

4. imq707s

imq707s New Member

Dec 8, 2005
    OK.....here goes. I will try to answer your questions the best I can.

What ammo are you using?  During my last range trip, I was using Rem UMC 95GR Ball Nose Ammo.  I've also tried the Rem hollow point ammo, and some WWB ammo.

Does it FTE with anyone else shooting it?   Yes

What happens with the shell (stay in the barrel, stovepipe or ???)  It get's pulled about half way out of the chamber, and then the slide clamps down on it when it returns.  It's almost like the extractor gets it hald way out.....I will try to get some pics.

How clean is it when you start?  Very clean. I clean and lube it after every trip to the range.

How heavily lubed is it when you start (and are you GREASING the rails and hammer slide?)  I use gun-slick grease on the slide, a few drops of oil on everything else.  Everything is lubed very lightly....nothing dripping off of the gun.
    Are you using multiple magazines?  No, only the one that came with the gun.

Is the bolt on your extractor tight?  Yes
    Is your ejector still in place?  Yes
    What kind of grip are you using? Tight....left hand wrapped around fingers of right hand. Same grip I use on my other handguns.
    If you set it down when it fails and come back 10 minutes later will it continue to fail or go another 3-4 mags?  It's very spruatic. I've ran 3 mags through it.....get a FTE, ran 6 more through it and it's fine.  Any I've also had it do it every other mag...even it I set it down for ahile.  I've also had it at the range and never had a single problem. No pattern that I can find.

While I agree with you that this is not an acceptable failure limit and just as an aside, if it is always the 3rd or 4th magazine you have at least 14 good shots first everytime and that is far more than you will need in a defensive situation.   Sometimes it will do it on the 2nd or 3rd trigger pull of the day.  Some trips to the range it won't do it at all.  Very strange.

But I do have to ask - if this has been going on for a year why just now trying to fix it and why are you carrying it everyday if you are not confident in it?  Because every time I think to myself "wow, this trip to the range went great, the P3AT didn't have a single problem it must be broke in now, and I can finally trust it...........then a month later I go to the range, and have problems.  Every time I start to trust it........it lets me down.  I've fired 1000+ rounds through my Springfield XD, and never had 1 single problem or jam.  1 FTE out of 18 rounds it a HUGE problem for a CCW weapon. I would carry my XD all the time, but in the summer it's so much easier to carry the small little P3AT.

If you need any more info, please let me know.

-Scott[/quote]

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Re: Why is my P3AT having problems...FTE's?

I would call Kel-tec and ask for a new extractor assembly. Heck, while you're at it, ask for a set of recoil springs. I know you did a F&B but I would polish the chamber and make sure the slide rails and hammer interface are smooth. Grease on the rails? If this doesn't improve things, call service and send it back. You may need a new slide or something to get it 100%.

http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/keltec.htm

6. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    My turn for questions
    What is the finish on your P3AT Hard Chrome, Parked or Blued? I ask because KT seemed to be slower switching over to the newer style extractor on the HC model, with your gun being a year old it may have the older style extractor. If you have hard chrome you need to see if you have the extractor with the sharp point rather than the more rounded one.

When you did the F&B did you do the chamber using and in and out motion.

I think you should definitely call KT, talk to service and ask for a new extractor. Also polish the chamber with some 600 grit or finer sandpaper even if you've already done it.

A more aggressive approach would be to do a little hood mod, I don't think you are to the point to consider preforming this yet. At the very least wait until you try a new extractor.

7. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    The sporadic nature of it is what has me - and I am sure you too! It may very well be the extractor and definately would not hurt to put a new one on. I'd also ask for some guide rod springs while you are at it.

Although you are not having failures to feed, I think I'd also make sure the magazine was clean and lightly lubed/teflon'd on the inside but I don't think that is a part of your failures.

Finally, I have to wonder if there is not a bit of a limp wristing issue going on here if you are used to shooting the XD. The irregularity of the happening is what makes me think this but clearly its not an all the time thing so your weapon might be just barely on the line of having to have an absolute perfect grip or else. Changing out the extractor will likely make a big difference on that.

What is your serial number range (leaving off the last two?) I ask because one of mine that is about 2 years old really needed the hood mod before I got away from intermittent failures to eject that were doing just what you describe. I might have fixed it with a new ejector but had a file and not a new ejector...

-Scott

8. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Mine is about the same age HV***
    I had the same FT ext. issue.
    A full F&B and new extractor & spring fixed it for about 50 rounds.
    I tried another new  extractor & spring as well as guide rod and springs..no luck.
    Sent it back to KT, got it back in two weeks.(new slide and polished feed ramp)
    Not a problem since.
    476 rounds- WWB,Rem UMC, Rem Ex. JHP, Magtech, Blazer Brass, Fed Am Eagle, Fed HS JHP.

Get it workin, you'll love it.

9. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    One other thing that has not been mentioned is limp-wristing. You must keep you wrist locked, a solid hand grip is important, but a locked wrist is more important.

You may want to try testing this by shooting a few rounds with a locked wrist, then shooting a few by deliberately limp-wristing to see what happens.

This may or may not be the answer - just thought I'd mention it...

Bobo

10. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    What am I?  Chopped Liver?   :-?

-Scott

11. praetorian

praetorian New Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Since the problem is sporadic with the same mag i want to say its limpwristing. But the fact that others have the same issue makes me want to say its the ammo. I dont have any exp with the UMC or WWB in 380 but i do know that my 1911 didnt like that stuff as much as S&B and Speer (even the budget brand of Speer ,independence seemed to function better). So try some the higher quality ammo, i have yet to have a single malfuction with Speer, weather it be 380ACP, 9mm, 45ACP, or 50AE and i have shot multipul thousands of rounds of each. Also the reliability i have had with S&B is the same, only they dont make .50AE ;). I cannot say the same for Remington or Winchester...

12. Please before giving up, send it into Kel-Tec.

Just a few thoughts of my own from my use of guns and my P3AT.

I would not consider any Auto broken in till it goes 200 round without a failer. And it has to have upwards of 400 rounds though it.

My P3-AT was a pain in the butt... Long story short... It had to go back in 3 times to work right. First time back I could go abot 30 or so rounds before a failer. Second time it could go 40 or so rounds. 3rd time bingo. It has gone over 200 round without a hick-up, with a lot of diferant ammo.

Same P3AT's are perfect out of the box, others need to be sent back a few times or more, but Kel-Tec will make it right for you.

13. imq707s

imq707s New Member

Dec 8, 2005
    Thanks for all the advice guys.

No...I'm not "limp wristing it". I'm a pretty big guy (6'6", 200lbs), I know what limb wristing is...and I'm not doing it.

The pistol is the hard chrome model. I guess I might have to call KT and see what they suggest. I think I might try some other types of ammo first before I send it in. I take very good care of this pistol....I clean it and grease the slide.....and oil it after every trip to the range.

I will take some pics the next time it jams up on me so you can see exactly what's going on. Hopefully that will help a little.

Thanks again for all of the great info!

:)

14. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

:-/

[​IMG]

15. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX

d@mn engineers...oh wait, yeah that is what I do....

;)

16. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I just noticed the OP has 2 threads on this SAME issue.  We'd appreciate avoiding duplicate posts and keeping stuff like this in one thread.  I will splice the other one here.

17. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    What am I?  Chopped Liver?   :-?

-Scott
    [/quote]OOOPS, sorry adam. I must have missed what you said - my bad! :-[

18. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

Hey, I resemble that remark :p
    (except I never worked on a hydroplant ;D referring to a "dam" engineer)