Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
usually stick foam plugs in ear and then muffs over that.
the howard leight (or however its spelled) sport electronic ear pro are affordable and awesome. Stick them on the kid or newbie you take shooting so they can hear your instructions.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I mostly use Walkers, various models.

These get used most of the time: Razor XV 3.0 Headset - Walker's
They have a problem though. The internal rechargeable battery only lasts 4 hours almost to the minute. But they don't get in the way of any shouldered firearm. I like them a lot and they would be perfect if the batteries lasted longer. Heck, if they used a hearing aid battery and I had to change it for every use that would be preferable as long as the charge lasted for a full day. I have no idea what Walkers was thinking when they only gave it enough juice for 4 hours. It could have been a perfect set of hearing protection.

I also have a set of their earbuds but they don't amplify the sound enough.

And for when the Razor runs out of juice I have a set of their cut away muffs for a shoulder stock.

I have other muffs for use with handguns and such. They have a much higher NRR since they don't need to clear a stock. My range bag always has foam plugs just in case.

·
Registered
9 Posts
usually stick foam plugs in ear and then muffs over that.
the howard leight (or however its spelled) sport electronic ear pro are affordable and awesome. Stick them on the kid or newbie you take shooting so they can hear your instructions.
I have Caldwell's and Howard Leigh. They amplify your voice BUT are excellent to muffle the "Bang". I also use ear buds underneath. When wearing them in a quiet area they Really amplify the the sounds around you. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm. These options only seem to provide 22-26 NRR. I've seen foam plugs with 32+ NRR.

·
Registered
560 Posts
for handgun I use a set of Howard Leight Impact Pro with a NRR of 30 something. They're good, but massive. You'll never properly shoulder a shotgun when wearing a pair. I've never seen much over a 20 some odd NRR with a set of muffs intended for shoulder fired. But what you can do is double up on hearing pro'. If you turn the e'muff volume up all the way so that speech gets through, and wear foam plugs underneath the muffs you'll have a freaky silent NRR. You'll hear your joints creaking, they're that quiet. But that's just not necessary IMO. All that needs to be done is to reduce the sound to safe levels.

The problem with foam plugs or any passive hearing pro' is that you get that reduction all the time. That means you can't hear much of anything around you very well. Use passive and then a set of electronic pro' and you'll never want to return to passive. That's why I have plugs in my range bag, but they're only in case my other 2 sets of pro' fail and that's not likely to happen. I've also been known to hand them out to others who have forgotten their muffs.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
But that's just not necessary IMO. All that needs to be done is to reduce the sound to safe levels.

The problem with foam plugs or any passive hearing pro' is that you get that reduction all the time. That means you can't hear much of anything around you very well. Use passive and then a set of electronic pro' and you'll never want to return to passive. That's why I have plugs in my range bag, but they're only in case my other 2 sets of pro' fail and that's not likely to happen.
Yes. Electronic works great. I have watched people sticking foam plugs in their ears underneath them and know they can't hear the words:
"Range Cold! Cease Fire!"
They keep shooting.
Maximum hearing protection is great right up until someone gets shot.:oops:
And I have had no problem whatsoever shouldering and accurately shooting my KSG with the Impact Sport electronic muffs. They have a cut-out for the stock.

https://www.thektog.org/threads/shooting-a-ksg-indoors-yikes.268879/#post-2418926

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been looking at the Walker line and for less than $100 they have...

Razer X-CEL

Razer X-TRM

Razer Digital

Not sure where to start.

Oh, and they have in-ear options for 2X the cost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes. Electronic works great. I have watched people sticking foam plugs in their ears underneath them and know they can't hear the words:
They keep shooting.
And I have had no problem whatsoever shouldering and accurately shooting my KSG with the Impact Sport electronic muffs. They have a cut-out for the stock.

https://www.thektog.org/threads/shooting-a-ksg-indoors-yikes.268879/#post-2418926
They keep shooting.

I bought this exact Ear protection in January 2013 from Amazon. They are slim, trim and amplify every noise in the house or outdoors. I Highly recommend them and still keep them close by.

·
Administrator
31,905 Posts
I have an old Peltor electronic set. It's a minor pita to change batteries but they work very well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I ordered:

Razor Slim
Razer X-CEL 100 (watch below!)

And will send Amazon the one one I like less. :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
They sound pretty good in the video. Please let us know how you like them after you've used them for awhile but frankly I think you'll like them. (I need another set of muffs about the way I need a hole in my head!)

·
Registered
474 Posts
best of both workds might be electronic ear buds so you can shiulder long guns, but the ones i have seen are darn pricey. i pretry much stick with the day glo green ones with the same material line connecting them. enough supression as long as no one near me is shooting with a brake...

·
Registered
9 Posts
When shooting the Kel Tec 12 ga. You will understand Why I wear ear plugs AND the electronic ear muffs and so do the people standing near me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When shooting the Kel Tec 12 ga. You will understand Why I wear ear plugs AND the electronic ear muffs and so do the people standing near me.
What is the point of using an electronic muff if you use earplugs? Just use earplugs and a passive muff.

·
Registered
560 Posts
What is the point of using an electronic muff if you use earplugs? Just use earplugs and a passive muff.
There is a NRR each time ear pro' is added. So for optimal protection the muffs cut out high noise and the plugs do too. But if you have the muffs turned up all the way for amplification you can still hear speech and range commands through the plugs. But when you shoot a round you're back with max' attenuation. It's pretty slick.

If you use passive muffs and plugs you're in a cave made of cotton and you hear your joints and such and forget about range commands, yada, yada. That's pretty cool too, but just make sure you're safe to do it. Try it at home. Anyone can buy passive plugs, and just turn off the e-muffs with the TV going.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts