What do you think of the belt clip for the P3AT?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Zell, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Zell

Zell New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    I just received it from Kel-Tec and put it on my P3AT and it seems to work great.

Are there others out there that have the clip on their little gun? How well does it work for you in terms of concealing the gun?

2. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    Re: What do you think of the belt clip for the P3A

you'll get some mixed reviews here, some people think it is unsafe. Personally, its the best way for me to carry. I love it and I don't really feel unsafe nor have I had any close-calls with anything snagging my trigger. It's a great way for small frame guys like me to conceal... which is the reason I own a Kel-Tec! I couldn't conceal anything else! ;D

3. hotwheels

hotwheels Guest

I've carried my KELTEC pistols with and without a clip. I've read the past discussions about carrying in the pocket with or without a clip vs carrying in a holster. I believe there is good reasoning behind both schools of thought...security/retention of the handgun and ready access.
    I prefer to carry in a different manner. I wear jeans 99.9% of the time like most probably do. I don't really care to carry the KELTEC deep in my right front pocket.
    The obsolete coin pocket in my WRANGLER'S serves no real purpose. I decided to insert my KELTEC (works for my KAHR P9/PM9 pistols as well) muzzle down into the coin pocket. I wear either a 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" wide black DAVIS or KRAMER belt. The belt covers and secures most of the gun close to my body. It's secure and fast in this appendix carry. I usually wear a loose fitting shirt or light jacket over the butt. For the KELTEC, I can easily push the muzzle end upwards with my fingertips and into my palm.
    Just another option to consider...

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

5. Zell

Zell New Member

Feb 20, 2008

[/quote]

Thank you.

6. Zectron2348

Zectron2348 New Member

Aug 9, 2008

I thought the belt clip was designed primarily with law enforcement in mind. I know my son carries a P3AT in a small pocket on his vest cover, the clip helping to hold it securely in the pocket as the pocket sets at an angle. Other officers carry in small extra pockets on their pants, again the clip holding the gun so it is not bouncing around while running.  I don't think any of them would want to have to put the gun in some type of holster, then inside the pocket. That would add an extra step into putting the gun on target quickly.

Personally, mine has a belt clip, but I always carry it in an Uncle Mikes #10 thin, soft, nylon inside the belt holster. Gun fits great, sits snug against the body, and the hoster is really cheap.

7. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

That is where you are inaccurate.  Yes, it takes more time to put the pistol into a pocket holster and then into the pocket, but drawing is exactly the same as if you didn't have the pocket holster there.  When you draw a pocket holster stays in your pocket.

-Scott

8. SMMAssociates

SMMAssociates New Member

Apr 23, 2006

(I just took the clip off my P3 - trashed the mounting pin swapping parts.  I'll fix it when I get a chance.)

Here in OH, the clip is not a legal means of carry in a car if you're wearing it.  "In a holster, on your person", or in another container of some kind....

My view is that the clip is a great way (as is the "clipdraw" and "Covert Carrier") to park the gun somewhat securely when you can't conveniently holster it for some reason.  The KT clip doesn't get in the way too much, IMO.

For $20-ish, it's probably a good accessory to have. Meantime, I still can't find the fool Nemesis....

Regards,

9. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

A good time to upgrade to the Pocket Pal from:  www.concealmentconceptsholsters.com

-Scott

10. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005

The clip gets in the way of my trigger finger when firing - I removed it after about 5 minutes and some dry-fire practice for this reason.

A pocket holster also protects the finish and keeps some of the fuzz out of the internals. Get a good pocket holster and save your money on the belt clip.

11. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007

Here's one way to use the clip...
    [​IMG]

12. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX

I nominate WG for Best in the Use of a Belt Clip category and I wonder why Scott has not asked to see his holster yet. ::)

13. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005

That is certainly a clever use of the belt clip. I have heard of some doing that, but never seen a pic of it in action.

Something you may want to consider is that a strong impact from the back of your vehicle will turn your little friend into an 11.0 oz missile aimed right at your forehead. I got my first concussion from a radar detector and garage door opener that way. :(

14. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

Actually, WG has shown this before and I often carry (uh, I mean carried) like that when driving for long periods of time (although mine is was always on top of the visor not below it). But when leaving the vehicle it was back in the pocket holster and in the pocket or in the smartcarry for me.

-Scott

15. theheater905

theheater905 New Member

Feb 8, 2008

I put the belt clip on and tried it for a short time, the clip always seemed to dig into my hand. I eventually took it off and went back to carrying in a pocket holster.

16. Cremator

Cremator New Member

Oct 31, 2007

Can someone post side a pic of the 3AT with the clip installed. I want to see where and how it sits on the gun.

Thanks

17. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

And me, of all people. Had to pull this out of the archives as I am known to not have any weapoons any more - except wifey's P3AT and it doesn't have a clip:

[​IMG]

-Scott

18. Eric_in_Nola

Eric_in_Nola New Member

Sep 22, 2006

I use both the clip and the concealed concepts pocket pal.

This gives me the most options and options are good!

19. fwm

fwm New Member

Jun 14, 2006
    NW MO

I really don't understand that. The clip is above the trigger. I have a P3AT, P11 and P40, all on a KT belt clip. I couldn't get into the clip with my finger if I wanted to and still pull the trigger.

Did you have some after market 'one size fits all' clip, or were you trying the KT clip?

20. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005

It was the factory clip. Perhaps my grip is higher than yours? If I can find it, I will reinstall it and post a pic.

BTW, I met a gunsmith at a gunshow who makes his own clip for the P-3x, and it is cut higher to avoid this very problem.