Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at one of these, along with a lot of other "tactical" .22's.

I like the fact that it takes the BDM mags, which I already have a bunch of. I like the light weight of it. Not sure that I like/need the folding feature. I hate the look of the factory stock and forend with the wierd nut in the front of the handguard.

For those that have owned them a while; what are things you like and dislike about the gun?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've been looking at one of these, along with a lot of other "tactical" .22's.

I like the fact that it takes the BDM mags, which I already have a bunch of. I like the light weight of it. Not sure that I like/need the folding feature. I hate the look of the factory stock and forend with the wierd nut in the front of the handguard.

For those that have owned them a while; what are things you like and dislike about the gun?
Ok, I love my SU-22's. I have two of them cause the wife took over my first one. One has the "E" stock and the second has the "C" stock. I've added, replaced, moved and interchanged accessories with each model. Nothing but fun all the way. I've used BDM mags and X-form mags and they have worked with no problems. Mags works with the Sig 522, so no need for additional
mags like the Colt or Ruger. 1/2x28 threaded barrel for a suppressor (Gemtech G5-22 awesome). As for the mags, the tactical solutions or other uppers on the AR platform use the same mags. The rifle is reliable and I have had no issues with performance. For a tactical 22lr I do not see a down side. I have picked them both up for $320 or less OTD. Just the AR upper cost me more then that. They are fun, reliable and reasonably priced tactical 22lr rifles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks firedog. Yeh the BDM mags I have are from my Ceiner conversion kits. Definately a plus to already have those on hand! Funny you mentioned the Sig 522. That was another I have been carefully considering. I've got tons of .22lr ammo stocked up. I'm pretty set on getting at least one of the M&P15 .22's. It's the second (and maybe 3rd) one that I'm undecided about. Others, including the KT & Sig, I'm looking at are HK MP5 22 and Ruger SR22.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I love mine!!! It is the little brother to my SU16. Got mine with the E stock for just under $400. Blast to shoot all day. I keep a red dot with MBUS. The thing I like about the Kel Tec over the other rifles you stated is the weight. It weighs nothing in comparission. My buddy has a DPMS .22lr and it is heavy. I think mine is more fun to shoot. I also painted it OD green just to be different.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love mine!!! It is the little brother to my SU16. Got mine with the E stock for just under $400. Blast to shoot all day. I keep a red dot with MBUS. The thing I like about the Kel Tec over the other rifles you stated is the weight. It weighs nothing in comparission. My buddy has a DPMS .22lr and it is heavy. I think mine is more fun to shoot. I also painted it OD green just to be different.
Can you buy them with different stocks or do you have to buy the stocks seperately?

·
Registered
240 Posts
You can buy them with different stocks. Found mine at Buds, but gun broker and cheaper than dirt advertise other models. C and CA and E are the available models I think.

·
Super Moderator
9,972 Posts
Lightweight, folding, inexpensive to buy, inexpensive to shoot, accurate, reliable.

Oh yeah. Bump fire. :D

[ame]http://youtu.be/pKSuNya17YQ[/ame]

·
Registered
68 Posts
Like - Lightweight, folding, accurate, reliable with the right ammo.

Dislike - its nasty habit of trapping an expended case above the bolt, requiring much digging and the saying of bad words to remove it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Likes: Goes Bang every time. Lightweight, folding, accurate, reliable with the right ammo. I wanted something different from the AR clone type looking "tactical" .22's.

Dislikes: None :).

·
Registered
40 Posts
So, I just bought one of these and put in some range time with it, and thought I'd weigh in as a new owner.

Like:
1. Doesn't seem ammo picky. (My AR-15 in .22LR is... a lot.)
2. Super light weight!
3. The Bravo sights are excellent for fast acquisition.
4. Folding concept (but see below).
5. Accuracy seems acceptable.

Dislike:
1. Reassembly after field stripping is annoying (that tube is hard to get right with the handguard mounted)
2. Field stripping requires a tool.
3. Folding mechanism is a bit tough to use with the Charlie stock.
4. Can't insert a magazine while folded with the Charlie stock (by design?).
5. Need to remove the Bravo sight to get a scope low enough for a good cheek weld.

I am tempted to go find a really low offset mount adapter and put my spare PA green reflex dot on as a backup to the scope... we'll see how that works out.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
"4. Can't insert a magazine while folded with the Charlie stock (by design?)."--erwos
The Charlie stock was designed for the SU16, to fold over USGI M16 mags*. The long BD 26rd mags for the SU22 are simply too long for the stock to fold around. There shouldn't be a problem with 10-15rd BD mags.
*The SU16C stock won't fold over plastic AR mags without some sort of modification to mags or stock either.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm talking about inserting the magazines with the stock folded. They didn't put in a cut-out for the "hump" in the magazine in the stock. Could be modded, just feel like it would have been nice to have the capability built in.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I'm talking about inserting the magazines with the stock folded. They didn't put in a cut-out for the "hump" in the magazine in the stock. Could be modded, just feel like it would have been nice to have the capability built in.
Ah. Re-reading your other post, I now notice that is what you were saying...:eek:
I'd have to put my 'C' stock on my -22 to check, but the problem may still be that the 'C' was designed around USGI M16 mags, and BD mags are just different enough to hang up. Some SU-16 owners have carefully trimmed their stocks to fit around the oversize aftermarket mags. That might be something you could look into.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have an Action Target dueling tree and we have head to head battles between a very accurate Henry Lever and the SU22. I think the Henry is just a bit more accurate, but the SU22 with a Burris FastFire III pretty much dominates on the dueling tree battles. Last year I introduced a young lady to shooting and she was lucky to keep her shots on paper, last weekend she put it to me with the SU22 and was on the plates so fast that when I sent one to her side, she ping ponged it instantly right back to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts