Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you consider the best safety features of the P-3AT or other Kel-Tecs? I understand that the Hammer Block (part #272) will prevent accidental firing of the P-3AT when dropped, jarred, etc. What else would you suggest contributes to its safe operation, other than a safer user holding it?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
The some what long and heavy trigger pull is really the only other safety feature I can think of, which is a good thing IMO. I think KISS is the way to go on a carry gun.

Edit: I guess the firing pin spring could be considered a safety feature. I don't think the FP would have the mass to cause a discharge if dropped but the spring will make sure it won't happen.

·
Registered
67 Posts
well, from what i see, the safeties are:

Hammer block
Long, double action-style trigger pull
Firing pin spring
And most importantly, your noodle

And they're all my favorite

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Well most all modern firearms are pretty darn safe these days. But from what I have seen of the few that have gone boom. I would say the fact that they are designed to keep the shooter safe even in the event of a catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
DAO operation. Gives basically the same type of trigger pull as a small, DA revolver.

·
Registered
88 Posts
And whats funny is that when I carry a revolver, it is fully loaded, but when I carry a semi, don't caryy with one in the tube.

·
Registered
40 Posts
One saftey feature I'm glad they left out was the firing pin saftey. That would add more complexity to a really simple design. One thing I really like about my two kel-tecs (p3at and pf9) is how simple they are. These guns are simple like a glock.

·
Administrator
31,975 Posts
Something overlooked is the design of the pistol to protect the shooter in the even of a catastrophic failure. Over the years, we have seen one or two suffer a squib load lodged in the barrel or perhaps a doubled-charged round. KT pistols in general are well designed to protect the shooter in the event of such a failure. I have never seen anyone serioulsly injured from blowing up a Kel-tec. And, even when the catestrophic failure was clearly caused by faulty ammo, as most are, KT has always repaired or replaced the gun. :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Something overlooked is the design of the pistol to protect the shooter in the even of a catastrophic failure. Over the years, we have seen one or two suffer a squib load lodged in the barrel or perhaps a doubled-charged round. KT pistols in general are well designed to protect the shooter in the event of such a failure. I have never seen anyone serioulsly injured from blowing up a Kel-tec. And, even when the catestrophic failure was clearly caused by faulty ammo, as most are, KT has always repaired or replaced the gun. :)
+1 . . . my wife's P-3AT is pictured below.

She was not injured. In fact, we continued shooting 1911's for the balance of the session.

I was watching her shoot, calling her shots on a 7 yard target, and saw the bullet hit on the target from the round before the ka-boom and the bullet hit from the ka-boom itself, which was actually a pretty nice shot. The ammo was factory, direct out of the box. I included the box end when we sent it in to Kel-Tec, in case they wanted to pursue it with Federal.

Not sure if they bothered, but about 6 weeks later, my wife's replacement P-3AT hard chrome was delivered to the house.

Kel-Tec rocks! :D

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
+1 . . . my wife's P-3AT is pictured below.

She was not injured. In fact, we continued shooting 1911's for the balance of the session.

I was watching her shoot, calling her shots on a 7 yard target, and saw the bullet hit on the target from the round before the ka-boom and the bullet hit from the ka-boom itself, which was actually a pretty nice shot. The ammo was factory, direct out of the box. I included the box end when we sent it in to Kel-Tec, in case they wanted to pursue it with Federal.

Not sure if they bothered, but about 6 weeks later, my wife's replacement P-3AT hard chrome was delivered to the house.

Kel-Tec rocks! :D
Wow! Thanks for sharing the pic with us.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I like the ability to easily conceal it in most any manner. That means to me that if it is easy to carry, I will carry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts